Riley Dodge Article

TicketJohn

Riley Dodge calls Texas his "dream school"

It's a Rivals article.

Hey, if Riley can get a scholarship offer from UT as a quarterback...I'd encourage him to take it. Obviously he's a great prospect as an athlete...but I didn't think he'd get an offer from a Top 10 team as a QB.

Riley has offers from Missouri, Rice, SMU, Tulsa and NT. Article says that Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma and Iowa could be on the way.

Rivals also lists North Texas with interest in one of Riley's SLC teammates: WR Blake Cantu (6-1, 191, 4.5)...this kid is one of my favorite receivers to come out of SLC.

Evidently we're also showing interest in a QB/Slot Receiver/Athlete from Hillcrest High: Willie Taylor (5-10, 159, 4.5).

Edited by TicketJohn

Here's how I'd see it unfolding. Texas offers Riley as an athlete or DB. Some time passes and yet another of their QB commitments decides the grass is greener elsewhere. Then they offer him as a QB as an insurance policy.

I could most definately see that happening. Kind of like the G.J. Kinne thing this year. There's a certain precedent for that.

If he gets offers from these BCS schools, I would assume that would make his Rivals ranking go up? That would look pretty awesome if he then committed to NT and we got a 4 or 5 Star guy.

Of course - if he REALLY had a shot of going to a UT or OU and would get to play early, that would be difficult to walk away from.

How many NT games do you think he'll watch/attend this year? Do any of those count as recruiting trips?

Riley Dodge calls Texas his "dream school"

It's a Rivals article.

Hey, if Riley can get a scholarship offer from UT as a quarterback...I'd encourage him to take it. Obviously he's a great prospect as an athlete...but I didn't think he'd get an offer from a Top 10 team as a QB.

Riley has offers from Missouri, Rice, SMU, Tulsa and NT. Article says that Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma and Iowa could be on the way.

Rivals also lists North Texas with interest in one of Riley's SLC teammates: WR Blake Cantu (6-1, 191, 4.5)...this kid is one of my favorite receivers to come out of SLC.

Evidently we're also showing interest in a QB/Slot Receiver/Athlete from Hillcrest High: Willie Taylor (5-10, 159, 4.5).

Wow, that's some sports give-up.

I would like them to offer him as a quarterback, so that when TD decides to make his in-home visit with Riley; the victory will be that much sweeter.

It is time for UNT football to finally fulfill its potential. And I for one want to take no prisoneers.

I look for Riley to receive an offer from Texas, and he will sign with Texas. Whether it's to play QB, DB, or athlete. UT is where his dad played. Sorry, but I don't look for Riley to play at NT.

He will never play QB at Texas. If he wants to play QB, he should look elsewhere. Texas isn't going to have a 5'10" starting QB. There are plenty of other QB's that will be as good or better than Riley that Texas will have to choose from that can see over Texas' monster O-line. Not saying anything against Riley, that's just the reality of the situation.

Wow, that's some sports give-up.

I would like them to offer him as a quarterback, so that when TD decides to make his in-home visit with Riley; the victory will be that much sweeter.

It is time for UNT football to finally fulfill its potential. And I for one want to take no prisoneers.

Maybe I should rephrase. If he got an offer to play QB at Texas and took it, I could not blame him or have an bitterness for him taking it. This is not a player that we are entitled to at North Texas just because his dad is the coach here.

Hopefully after a 2007 season full of promise and potential, North Texas can become Riley's dream school to go to. But if he's always dreamed of playing where his dad played and he can fulfill that dream and play QB, you won't hear me complain that his dad couldn't get him to come to North Texas.

I am sure he could be good enough to play ball most anywhere. I don't doubt him till I see him give me reason to doubt. And being undefeated as a starter is plenty reason for me to have confidence in the guy.

Furthermore, I am sure TD will let Riley's decision be Riley's decision.

Also, don't think just because they are Texas that he is automatically going there. UH coach briles' son transferred from Texas to houston to play with his dad. I hope it will happen here too.

Also, don't think just because they are Texas that he is automatically going there. UH coach briles' son transferred from Texas to houston to play with his dad. I hope it will happen here too.

He did say that Texas was his "dream school" though. I know there can be changes of heart...but it sure seems (unless this is just lip service) that Riley would like to go to UT.

I think NT has a very good chance at Riley Dodge in 2008. I am sure every college

football coach in America would want Riley. I am sure there will be many offers for Riley.

I beleive Coach Dodge, as a father, will let Riley choose his own school.

As far as NT recruiting, I beleive NT can compete with any college in America, for

any student athlete in any sport!

NT's recruiting efforts have always faced negative views, so change the views into

positive views, see the school and the degree progams, student life, --I could go on and on.

I know there have been student athletes that came to NT while offers from other major

colleges were on the table.

I believe in Coach Dodge. I also believe there is a long way to go for this football program and it will take time.

I don't forsee a winning record for North Texas in 2007. I think there's too much work to be done on the roster, but that's another subject altoghether.

All that to say, I don't think right now you can say that North Texas can truly compete for any recruit in the country. Can they compete for Riley Dodge? Sure, his dad is the coach here and Dodge is also not a can't miss kid. But they can't compete for the Joe McNights and Jimmy Clausens and Trey Allens of this world...not yet.

In the ladder of college football there are steps to be taken and North Texas is still on the bottom rung. Do we all have dreams and expectations of North Texas moving up that ladder? I hope so, we're fans and alums. I will be dissapointed if Dodge's tenure does not move North Texas up the ladder significantly.

Charlie, I respect you so much for your positive thoughts and expectations. Please understand that I try to look at things from a more realistic point of view. I think we're prettymuch on the same page here, I'm just not the type of fan to extend my expectations too far outside what my true feelings on the reality of the current situation is.

I truly hope North Texas gets Riley Dodge to come here, but I would not blame him if he chose Texas over UNT.

why does everyone think that UT will offer him a scholarship to play QB? I mean, everyone is acting like its a foregone conclusion that UT will be all over this kid. Just because it is his "dream school" doesn't mean anything to UT. Every year there are thousands of kids that play HS football in Texas that would consider it a "dream school" (or USC, OU, Michigan, etc..). I bet there are players on our roster that would have loved to play QB for UT. That doesn't mean it was ever going to happen.

So he's visiting. Big deal. UT has several guys on scholarship that played QB in HS that converted to WR or another position in college.

why does everyone think that UT will offer him a scholarship to play QB? I mean, everyone is acting like its a foregone conclusion that UT will be all over this kid. Just because it is his "dream school" doesn't mean anything to UT. Every year there are thousands of kids that play HS football in Texas that would consider it a "dream school" (or USC, OU, Michigan, etc..). I bet there are players on our roster that would have loved to play QB for UT. That doesn't mean it was ever going to happen.

So he's visiting. Big deal. UT has several guys on scholarship that played QB in HS that converted to WR or another position in college.

Not one of us have said it's a foregone conclusion...but it is significant that he's visiting. He wants to go to UT...that's significant.

I've never thought that Riley was a QB for a bigtime program. But this whole thread has been about if it was to happen, not that it will.

This was all about a hypothetical that if Riley was offered as a QB, I wouldn't blame him if he decided to go to UT.

Not one of us have said it's a foregone conclusion...but it is significant that he's visiting. He wants to go to UT...that's significant.

I've never thought that Riley was a QB for a bigtime program. But this whole thread has been about if it was to happen, not that it will.

This was all about a hypothetical that if Riley was offered as a QB, I wouldn't blame him if he decided to go to UT.

Ok, I understand that. I guess what Im saying is, it aint gonna happen. So there's no point in worrying ourselves over UT. If Riley wants to play QB, i dont see him being able to do that at there.

By the way, the video posted is hilarious! Seems like a great kid, would love to have him at NT.

I see it this way...If UT or OU offers him to play as QB he is there. If they offer as an athlete then he says no thanks. I don't think that he would go to a lower level Big 12 school, even if they offer him as QB. If the big boys don't offer as QB then he comes to Denton. And as for even the idea of him going to a Tulsa, smu, or TCU. Not gonna happen.

Basically UT as QB or Denton with dad.

Its funny we debated this on another forum about runners goin big time and redshirting or immediately contributing on lesser known teams (i.e texas state as opposed to never running a meet when u run for UT). Lets see Riley without daddy for one year, see how he responds. Look by all means if he gets offered by Texas go to Texas. I love UNT but if I had the chance pre august 2006 to attend UT I wouldve. It all depends.... does he want to start tradition, or just be a part of a long orange line.......

I am sure he could be good enough to play ball most anywhere. I don't doubt him till I see him give me reason to doubt. And being undefeated as a starter is plenty reason for me to have confidence in the guy.

Furthermore, I am sure TD will let Riley's decision be Riley's decision.

A while back I made a similar comment – don’t be surprised to see Riley start off at a BCS school and end up at UNT.

Then again, to get some panicking – maybe Riley knows his dad will not be staying at UNT as long as he (Riley) would be here. :scared:

UT has several guys on scholarship that played QB in HS that converted to WR or another position in college.

Like maybe this guy for example???

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...t.1e878627.html

UT adds two commitments for 2008

10:38 AM CST on Wednesday, February 21, 2007

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Mansfield Timberview junior athlete Antoine Hicks said he has orally committed to Texas, giving the Longhorns 12 pledges for the Class of 2008.

Brenham junior offensive tackle Luke Poehlmann (6-6, 260) also said he has orally committed to Texas. Poehlmann said he chose the Longhorns over Oklahoma, Texas A&M and LSU.

Hicks (6-2, 195) said Texas was his only offer. Hicks, who plays quarterback at Timberview, said Texas coaches told him they'd likely use him at wide receiver or defensive back and as a kickoff/punt returner.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day a recruit in the Class of 2008 can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6.

Last season, Hicks was 64-for-149 passing for 1,116 yards, seven touchdowns and five interceptions. Hicks also had 125 carries for 617 yards and five touchdowns. Hicks sometimes played at wide receiver (five catches, 65 yards).

WR, DB or kick returner...sounds like they have absolutely no idea where he may play, but a part time WR who only had 5 catches for 65 yards in the entire season doesn't sound very promising to me.