Wake Up Dorothy (unt)

Cool

While responding to a negative post regarding integrity I dumped some thoughts that I believe are important enough to create its own topic. IMHO UNT has way too much momentum to get caught focusing too much on recent coaching issues in the news. That news has all but drained hope for any school to succeed without risk of their entire sr. executive staff (coaches) getting hired away....regardless of contracts. The post below was in response to the following quote.

Look a little further than college football, my friend. There's no loyalty left, period.

May I challenge your statement by suggesting that UNT just hired several remaining pieces of loyalty (staff)? I can promise that TD and his staff are not looking for their next jobs. If you guys think for a minute that what he and his staff are doing is a dog and pony show waiting for Coach Brown to resign from Texas then you are doing UNT a great disservice.

I beg you to wake up the troops as realize that you have a staff with a vision (with the integrity and competency to attain that vision) to make UNT into a national powerhouse. Should UNT begin plans to bump up his salary along the way, you bet. Do I think TD & staff would expect or demand it, no? Still, there is nothing wrong with adjusting someone’s salary above his contract if he proves he is worth more. That’s what smart businesses do to retain top talent. You have to learn to compete with the market. Will TD be trying to renegotiate his contract if he is successful in year one or two? No. Should UNT consider renegotiating his contract if he is successful? If the market suggests they should they would be crazy not to. Market value should always be at the forefront of executive compensation. Fans and alumni can contribute a lot to adding value to a job. TD could have left SLC any year he wanted to for more money. Where else would he rather coach? Do your part to make UNT a place no coach would want to leave.

You did not hire the Wizard of Oz who will take you on a dream ride only to wake up and realize you are sill in Kansas (little old UNT). Wake up Dorothy, this is not a dream. It’s the perfect storm. Take up your position and jump on board. You will not be humiliated and disappointed like Rice.

Mark my post, UNT has no idea who they hired and if the alumni, student and fans do their part, UNT will be in a major conference within a few short years and become a major powerhouse in D-I sports. Everyone has an important part to play and this coach appreciates every single contribution down to the last fan. Enjoy the ride.

Cheers for UNT with this hire!

New Fan

Edited by Cool

Oh sure you can find some loyalty. It just seems to be going away. Bower at So. Miss has been around for a long time. He has been recruited by SEC schools. I truly believe that he could have left had he wanted. But the norm is to go to the better program for more money. Should Todd Dodge truly turn this program around and really get the money flowing, He will be gone. And why wouldnt he??? Look at what Boise did this year. That coach has everything, a good fan base, nice salary, good talent to coach, undefeated season, win over a BCS school. Oh wait, I almost forgot. He doesnt have that trophy or ring that says "National Champions"...

I hope that Todd Dodge does such a good job that he can leave us and get the Championship ring like Myer (sp?) did in FL. That will mean that he left us in great shape. ANd with a little luck we will Hire another greeat Coach who may be able to somehow get UNT that National Championship torphy.

So do what is best for your family but dont change your mind "after" signing on the dotted line especially for a lateral job.

What an optimistic post. You sound confident you know the staff to a greater extent than most of us. Dare I ask how?

I know several people who know the core of this staff. I have observed the coaches from afar and talked to many players, parents, and fans over the years and the tune is consistent to what I posted herein. Raise your vision UNT.

Cool, are you in some way related to TD? I haven't heard that much optimism come from a fledgling since I anncounced JMO for Heisman consideration two years ago.

Eppy4life - Definitely no relation to TD. I didn't intend for my optimism to pump me up as someone who has inside scoop, I hate when people do that. Put it this way, he probably wouldn't return my phone call any more than he would yours. How close is that?

Almost anyone who has objectively followed HS football in Texas could come close to this optimism. If you could simply sit down with your new JP or any other former player then you would probably be sounding the same wake up call. Don't listen to a coach who blows his own horn. Listen to former fans, players, and parents and you will hear the good bad and ugly. Talk with other coaches like Outlaw from Lufkin and you'll know why three of his players are at UNT this weekend. Talk to Pat Summerall who lives in SL and has seen his share of coaches (I haven't talked to him about TD but others I know have). Like many, I was probably looking for at least something bad over the years just to know he is a somewhat normal coach. There is no greater compliment to ones reputation than what others (including peers) say over a long duration of time. If there is any profession where one true colors get to shine its coaching football. The rare reputation is exactly why I have been a TD fan.....and now NT fan.

IMHO only…UNT has every ingredient to launch a powerhouse. Change the way you think and raise the vision because fans have a lot more to do with it than most think. TD gets players to play above their potential. Fans are a big part of helping players do the same. I’m sure TD will be painting the vision real soon with recruiting, facilities, uniforms, you name it. If you have to see it to believe it then sit back and watch. Otherwise jump in because the water is warm.

We're already in....we're the diehards! Now....where are you from? Any UNT ties before the TD hiring?

Oh....and welcome aboard. I trust you've already bought season tickets? :)

I'm from Dallas and my only ties to UNT have been a few friends who have attended recently and a few business associates who are graduates as well. I realize that those on this site are already the committed ones. Some times those who are close to something for so long can loose perspective and only see things relative to the past. I felt like sharing a fresh perspective for you guys from someone who has been standing further back. I grew up around a big time program and know what it feels like to have that in the air. My gut tells me that things are lined up well for UNT to step up to the next level. Jumping in is another way of encouraging even the already committed to not be afraid to raise the vision for UNT least you always be considered the third choice in DFW. It won't be easy but it can be fun. Best of luck.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

No one needs any more connection with UNT to be a UNT supporter than they live in the DFW general area. It is a very significant region that needs and deserves a substantial public university that is first-rate in all respects. In certain ways, UNT represents that large community on a national front, and I would hope that the members of the community would want to be represented well. I would like to see UNT reach out to the area with that message.

Now for those who have some other connection but have left the area, UNT needs to reach out to them too. In that regard, in the past year I have seen a marked improvement in their efforts at reaching out.

I think it has dawned on the administration how much they need broad private support, and I would expect to see continued improvements in efforts at building that support. To quote Pink Floyd, "It could be made into a monster if we all pull together as a team." Now they were scoffing at the suits when they said that, but the fact is, the suits were right, and Pink Floyd has enjoyed success that is unrivaled in some aspects. (Thus I find it rather ironic Pink Floyd was doing such scoffing, and in fact one might argue that they were thus even more disingenuous than their record label. Now of course this doesn't have anything to do with the fact I am a business attorney...)

Cool,

I agree. As diehard as I am, I had lost the lofty vision. But, it's back! It will happen! It is real! The new Staff is THAT STRONG and combined with Rick V and his Gang...the vision is "World Class". The bandwagon will soon be filling. Thank Goodness we already have our seat! That is real COOL! Thanks!

Edited by ParksAndRecRick

I'm from Dallas and my only ties to UNT have been a few friends who have attended recently and a few business associates who are graduates as well. I realize that those on this site are already the committed ones. Some times those who are close to something for so long can loose perspective and only see things relative to the past. I felt like sharing a fresh perspective for you guys from someone who has been standing further back. I grew up around a big time program and know what it feels like to have that in the air. My gut tells me that things are lined up well for UNT to step up to the next level. Jumping in is another way of encouraging even the already committed to not be afraid to raise the vision for UNT least you always be considered the third choice in DFW. It won't be easy but it can be fun. Best of luck.

Oh....season tickets x 4

Awesome! Great to see the enthusiam---and willingness to buy season tickets!

On an aside...anybody know the numbers as far as new season tickets purchased since TD's hiring?