Nt Ull Observations

GrandGreen

NT women had their best offensive showing in years in the first half of game, unfortunately the second half was back to the usual brand of Slinker ball. Turnovers, poor shooting and absolutely horrible defense. NT with their normal height advantage was completely out hustled on the boards. Slinker for what ever reason decided to go one on one against Jones (ULL star player) and NT not only couldn't stop her but couldn't stop her from getting layups. I thought NT's guards did play hard but the team suffers from not having a good point. It is hard to comprehend how a team with this much talent and depth is playing so badly.

The men's team continued to flounder and they were very fortunate to win. Davis was great and Williams played well. Sturns is apparently again in the doghouse playing only 12 minutes and not in the game at all during crunch time. Watson, Bell and Young all make some good plays but their overall games were average at best. Stewart played extended minutes with a lot of energy if not skill. Woodson continued his sub-par play. Overall this team remains out of sync and is not playing well at all. ULL with new players being eligible in the second semester is a lot better than their record but NT should not be struggling with teams of this level in the Superpit.

There is still plenty of time for teams to improve for the tournament. The men obviously have shown they are capable of much better play. The women definitely have some young talent and hopefully it will be developed.

Both Tina and JJ need to be shown the door.

There is NO, I repeat NO reason for the Men to beat a BAD ULL team only because the last-second shot went up a split second late.

Both Tina and JJ need to be shown the door.

There is NO, I repeat NO reason for the Men to beat a BAD ULL team only because the last-second shot went up a split second late.

Yes, we are weak this year; but I really thought we were going to steal one last night! Enjoyed listening to the game. Enjoy the win. Lord knows we (the cajuns) can only get better! :rolleyes:

Shof

Sturns is apparently again in the doghouse playing only 12 minutes and not in the game at all during crunch time.

I don't know that he is in the doghouse, but he played completely out of control last night. Every time he touched the ball, whether in the back court or around the bucket, only one thought entered his mind: Shoot it.

When Sturns plays like this, the only option is to sit him on the bench.

Yes, good teams never get upset by bad ones. If JJ tanks then yeah...show him the door. But we are .500 in conference right now. Good? No. But hardly terrible YET. Wait till the tailspin to commence before grabbing your pitchfork.

This year is shaping up like all the rest under JJ. Please tell me why you think this year will be any different. He has shown the ability to accumulate talent but not coach it.

I try to think positive if we're actually winning. Did we barely beat a down opponent? Yes. We DID win though. We did beat Western Kentucky. Monroe who is on top of the league lost to DENVER. It happens.

Could a tailspin commence? Yes, maybe stating against FIU. Who knows? But I refuse to sit around making snarky "we're done for" comments when we haven't lost more than 2 in a row yet. If and when we go on one of our typical 5-7 game losing streaks I'll be right there with you.

I try to think positive if we're actually winning. Did we barely beat a down opponent? Yes. We DID win though. We did beat Western Kentucky. Monroe who is on top of the league lost to DENVER. It happens.

Could a tailspin commence? Yes, maybe stating against FIU. Who knows? But I refuse to sit around making snarky "we're done for" comments when we haven't lost more than 2 in a row yet. If and when we go on one of our typical 5-7 game losing streaks I'll be right there with you.

Thank you! I will take 1 point wins over anybody. Until we are sitting at home watching the Dance or NIT I won't sit around complaining how bad we are.

I think our 12 and 5 record is a little misleading, which is where our "why in the hell can't we beat a team like ULL more then 1 point in overtime" comes from.

This is the most ludicrous argument that's floating around out there. We are not Florida. We are not Duke. We're not UCLA. We are a slightly above average team. My standards for slightly above average teams don't include blowing out anyone...they just include not losing to bad teams. UTA loss aside I think this team has done that, and snuck up and stolen a victory or two from "better" opponents.

This is the most ludicrous argument that's floating around out there. We are not Florida. We are not Duke. We're not UCLA. We are a slightly above average team. My standards for slightly above average teams don't include blowing out anyone...they just include not losing to bad teams. UTA loss aside I think this team has done that, and snuck up and stolen a victory or two from "better" opponents.

So what was the Ark St. game then?

We may not be big-time yet, but I think that our talent level is a little better than slightly above average. I would give us a 7 on the pure talent scale. I guess where we are on the coaching scale is TBD. I sure hope he has got the guys in there shooting FT's during this off period. A guard oriented team like ours that misses this many free throws is going to have problems winnning the close ones.

I wasn't able to go to the game, but I caught the very end of regulation and overtime on NTTV. It was an exciting finish, but it shouldn't have been that close. But a win is a win and hopefully pulling that one out at the end will get the team jumpstarted since we usually blow games at the end much more frequently than coming back to win. Maybe that is a sign that things are turning around, but I'm not going to put this team in the Sweet 16 just yet. I'll need to see a lot more to be convinced that this isn't just a normal JJ season.

I'd like to thank everyone for reminding me that I should have been angry when our guys came from behind and tied it up and won, and that I actually should have been furious that I drove up from Dallas to sit in the Pit and yell for our team, only to have them pull out a tough one.

I know now that I was wrong to be happy that they didn't wilt at the end. I should have been mad all the way home because of little TV screens and loose shoelaces.

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with me for being able to enjoy a UNT victory. Dr. Phil, can you help a fellow alum?

I'd like to thank everyone for reminding me that I should have been angry when our guys came from behind and tied it up and won, and that I actually should have been furious that I drove up from Dallas to sit in the Pit and yell for our team, only to have them pull out a tough one.

I know now that I was wrong to be happy that they didn't wilt at the end. I should have been mad all the way home because of little TV screens and loose shoelaces.

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with me for being able to enjoy a UNT victory. Dr. Phil, can you help a fellow alum?

:D :D..... AND especially since ULL were a 4-12 team (never mind they gave WKU a run for their money tonight [oh, I forgot, WKU is a highly overrated team by some posters on this board])...good post Green To The Bone.... just keep coming to the games and having fun...our team played hard and had nothing to be ashamed of. I can't tell you how we will end up this season, but I am enjoying the ride.

I was listening to George Dunham after the game. This is a different ULL team. Milsap was added to the team who was not there before. ULL had 2 big wins before coming to Denton last week.

I like smokin' 4-12 teams as much as the next guy but I was just glad we got the win.

I know some folks were upset with our one point overtime win over ULL. However, ULL nearly beat a very hot South Alabama team last night. In fact, ULL outscored South Alabama in the first half and only lost by 4 points in the end. It appears now that the overtime game was a good win versus a much improved ULL team.

Edited by chrisfisher

a game they played on the road after a tough loss just a day and a half before that.. btw what school do you support??

Yes... college bball... they schedule games like that. But, how do we get spanked like that by Ak State? I don't understand that. I don't get mad at just about any win... ala ULL... They are a diffeent team now... I wish I could have made that one in person... I listen to most.

I bleed mean green... been a season ticket holder in FB for years until this past year (Dicky Ball... DodgeBall - will again)... and in BB until about two years ago (drive up from Dallas for the new game time... to see us not do well?)... I still went to a few games... not just all of them... what school do you support?