Dodge Says Unt Will Use A 4-3 Defense

UNTflyer

DENTON – New North Texas coach Todd Dodge plans to run a 4-3 defense, one of a few decisions the former Southlake Carroll coach has made since taking over the Mean Green this week.

Dodge moved into his office Wednesday, just four days after Carroll won the Class 5A Division I state title.

"I am excited to pour myself into this job," Dodge said. "For the last two weeks I did a pretty good job of maintaining my focus on Carroll, considering how many opportunities there were to have a lack of focus."

Former Haltom head coach Clayton George, who joined Dodge's staff last week, will be UNT's wide receivers coach. Dodge said he plans to hire high school coaches he has previously worked with and hopes to have the rest of his staff in place by Wednesday.

Although Dodge has yet to make an announcement on who his defensive coordinator will be, he has decided to move from the 3-4 defense UNT ran last season to a 4-3 during spring practice. Dodge hasn't decided when those workouts begin but said he favors putting them off until the weather warms up. UNT started spring practice in February under former head coach Darrell Dickey.

Dodge said one of his first priorities would be getting started on recruiting. UNT will have at least 16 scholarships and as many as 21 for his first recruiting class.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ef.268839b.html

A good update. I like that spring practice will actually take place now in spring and not winter. I also like that Dodge will hire mostly coaches he has previously worked with. This was a major factor why I wanted a head coach vs an assistant becoming a head coach. The staff will be formed and up and running much faster this way. They will already have a working knowledge of Dodge's system and each other. Good news all around. :)

I'm happy to hear we're going back to a 4-3 defensive scheme. We had no pressure with the 3-4 and we pretty much telegraphed where the blitz was coming from.

On Spring Drills, I hope, let me repeat, I HOPE the Green/White game is on a Saturday.

I'm happy to hear we're going back to a 4-3 defensive scheme. We had no pressure with the 3-4 and we pretty much telegraphed where the blitz was coming from.

That was because Dickey and Co. didn't know how to properly run a 3-4. It could have been more effective given our talent at LBer but was just poorly coached. Hopefully by changing to the 4-3 Dodge has some good DEs in mind.

On Spring Drills, I hope, let me repeat, I HOPE the Green/White game is on a Saturday.

I too hope the Spring Game is played on a Saturday. I would love to see it played at night under the lights with all the amenities of a regular season game; things like tailgating, concessions, announcers, and unlocked restrooms for BOTH the fans and the team.

I too hope the Spring Game is played on a Saturday. I would love to see it played at night under the lights with all the amenities of a regular season game; things like tailgating, concessions, announcers, and unlocked restrooms for BOTH the fans and the team.

:lol::lol: Unlocked restrooms.....rodger that.......

Do you think since we've got Dodge, we might get at least SOME interest from the local media and/or FoxSW?

Let's all hope so!!!!!

Do you think since we've got Dodge, we might get at least SOME interest from the local media and/or FoxSW?

I would think so.

Seriously, I dont want to jack the thread, but the Spring game would require only a minimal amount of effort from the Athletic Department to make it a nice saturday afternoon event. Open the restrooms, sell hotdogs (or have an organization set up shop and cook up a ton) for a a buck or two, and give away soft drinks. Hell, you could probably find someone to donate the stuff.

Regarding the thread, I like the switch back to the 4-3. And I agree with FFR, I think our D is going to be pretty good next year, especially the secondary.

I would think so.

Seriously, I dont want to jack the thread, but the Spring game would require only a minimal amount of effort from the Athletic Department to make it a nice saturday afternoon event. Open the restrooms, sell hotdogs (or have an organization set up shop and cook up a ton) for a a buck or two, and give away soft drinks. Hell, you could probably find someone to donate the stuff.

Regarding the thread, I like the switch back to the 4-3. And I agree with FFR, I think our D is going to be pretty good next year, especially the secondary.

:offtopic::blowup:

That was because Dickey and Co. didn't know how to properly run a 3-4. It could have been more effective given our talent at LBer but was just poorly coached. Hopefully by changing to the 4-3 Dodge has some good DEs in mind.

Talent at LBer?

I would say the LB crew has depth but is not as talented as you think they are. Other than Holman & Monroe, the rest of the group is average at best and lacks speed, IMO. Dawson showed flashes at times and could be a good player. I think the the move to the 4-3 makes a lot of sense. You have to have a big, dominating nosegaurd with the ability to control 2 gaps in a 3-4. Of course, a player with this ability is hard to find and North Texas does not have anything close to it. 4-3 tackles aren't a dime a dozen, but it is "easier" to find them.

Also it would be nice if we could have a pigeon exterminator work on Fouts. Pigeon crap is not so nice on the entrance ramps when it is over 1 inch thick. I don't know if there is actually a job for pigeon exterminators - how freaking fun would that job be?

Pidgeon RELOCATORS....the environmentalists would prefer ......we do not want the pub for knocking off the offending birds (see: City of Carrollton vs. Egrets, demolition of habitat)........that will get the press out to Denton for UNT coverage for sure.......sorry Harry, I'm off topic too!!

Talent at LBer?

I would say the LB crew has depth but is not as talented as you think they are. Other than Holman & Monroe, the rest of the group is average at best and lacks speed, IMO. Dawson showed flashes at times and could be a good player. I think the the move to the 4-3 makes a lot of sense. You have to have a big, dominating nosegaurd with the ability to control 2 gaps in a 3-4. Of course, a player with this ability is hard to find and North Texas does not have anything close to it. 4-3 tackles aren't a dime a dozen, but it is "easier" to find them.

You had to of at least seen something in Tobe Nwigwe last season. He looked awfully good last year as a freshman. Eddrick Gilmore is coming back and could contribute quite a bit as well.

I myself think that the switch to the 4-3 is fine. My only concern is us having the D-lineman for it.

Edited by Zeke

You had to of at least seen something in Tobe Nwigwe last season. He looked awfully good last year as a freshman. Eddrick Gilmore is coming back and could contribute quite a bit as well.

I myself think that the switch to the 4-3 is fine. My only concern is us having the D-lineman for it.

I think Gilmore is a perfect candidate for a rush end. He definitely has the size.

Also it would be nice if we could have a pigeon exterminator work on Fouts. Pigeon crap is not so nice on the entrance ramps when it is over 1 inch thick. I don't know if there is actually a job for pigeon exterminators - how freaking fun would that job be?

Actually I know of a company. A guy at my church has his own maintence company called Circle-E. You may have seen them driving around in the yellow trucks or vans with the big Circle-E logo. My brother went out one night with one of his crews and just shot those nasty birds!

some of you dont know as much as you think. our defense last year was better than the last defense that went to the new orleans bowl. check the stats. the only thing different was the offensive out put. the d line is going to be fine. it will actually be better. we have a lot of experience on the line and now more will be free to rush the passer. joseph miller is just as good as sky pruit was if not better. burruss picked up a lot of experience as a first year starter. montey will be on the field more since he wont be competing for time at de as a 3 technique. he started at this position and is a lot more adept to it. and your two time all conference honorie jeremiah chapman will be free to make more plays at the weak side end instead of being in the 3-4 as a glorified blocker for the line backers. wise up.

some of you dont know as much as you think. our defense last year was better than the last defense that went to the new orleans bowl. check the stats. the only thing different was the offensive out put. the d line is going to be fine. it will actually be better. we have a lot of experience on the line and now more will be free to rush the passer. joseph miller is just as good as sky pruit was if not better. burruss picked up a lot of experience as a first year starter. montey will be on the field more since he wont be competing for time at de as a 3 technique. he started at this position and is a lot more adept to it. and your two time all conference honorie jeremiah chapman will be free to make more plays at the weak side end instead of being in the 3-4 as a glorified blocker for the line backers. wise up.

WHAT??? People on a message board not knowing what they are talking about??? BLASPHEMY!!!