DRC Dodge waiting to fill out staff

OldTimer

Agreed.  I think that's why Darrell Dickey sometimes went north to Oklahoma for guys like Kevin Galbreath, Patrick Cobbs, and Michael Thrash.

Exactly, I personally will judge the new coach on whether or not he can compete for the Sun Belt championship because I think we have the talent already to at least be in the mix for it every year. Trying to win OOC games against better known and better funded opponents will be a tougher task. If anything I'd try to lighten the OOC schedule quite a bit to give us a better chance of having a good record outside the Belt.

For example an OOC schedule consisting of Sam Houston State, Grambling State, New Mexico State, and SMU would give us a chance to have a good OOC record and maybe get top 25 votes.

Edited by GreenEddieNT

Guys, put on your thinking hats here.  He has a season to finish.  Even if he is not going bring along his assistants from SLC, do you think he would say so now and make a tough sitiuation even tougher by possibly ticking off people. 

Dodge is saying all the right things to win NOW at SLC.  Let him win there, then give him a chance to win here.

<puts away soap box>

Good post. Amazing that the 2nd guessing, questioning, etc. has already started and the man actually isn't here yet. Let him finish the season, hopefully with another championship, then turn his full attention the NT. Some need to take a pill, chill and just kick back without looking for something to worry about.

Guest GrayEagleOne

We knew of his committment when we signed him. Furthermore, his contract does not take effect until December 24. We are approaching a dead period so we will soon be somewhat on par with the rest of our competition. As Silver pointed out there has been little movement in committments this month. I think that some good prospects may wait to see if they are contacted by North Texas. We started behind but we've done that for the last five years (at least) so we should be used to this.

As to staff, TD said that no one has been offered yet. The rest of the names are just speculation. Having said that, I feel that Clayton George might be offered something like receivers coach because of their friendship and George's association with UNT. I am clueless when it comes to others and maybe Todd hasn't given that much thought as to who he might ask.

So, while it's fun to speculate on coaches and recruits, let's not get our panties in a wad because things aren't moving as fast as we'd like. Remember the line from an old song...it's not where you start it's where you finish.

At UNT he's coaching at a school that matches up well against the other Sun Belters but does not have an overwhelming advantage if any advantage at all.

This is why for folks like me from the Fry or Corky Nelson eras are so excited about this hire. I doubt few have witnessed more examples of the "Doing more with less" than the NT fans from these two eras. It's been done before, and Dodge has won with less talent too. In the very least we will have someone who will coach like they "Expect" to win. In the meantime, they will let others know this, thus help our A.D. staff and university grow the fan base rather than turn them away.

It will be a wonderful breath of fresh air.

Rick

Exactly, I personally will judge the new coach on whether or not he can compete for the Sun Belt championship because I think we have the talent already to at least be in the mix for it every year.  Trying to win OOC games against better known and better funded opponents will be a tougher task.  If anything I'd try to lighten the OOC schedule quite a bit to give us a better chance of having a good record outside the Belt.

For example an OOC schedule consisting of Sam Houston State, Grambling State, New Mexico State, and SMU would give us a chance to have a good OOC record and maybe get top 25 votes.

Careful, I've suggested lightening the OOC schedule before and got accused of being Kenny Evans. Keep up that talk and they may think you're Fred Bleil! biggrin.gif