Where is Bazaldua?

Eagle Man

My list of most frustrating Cowboys:

1. Vanderjacht (2 Field Goals missed?)

2. Flozel Adams (A pile of potatoes could paly LT as well as he could, the the pile of potatoes would false start or chop block)

3. Roy Williams (most over rated safety ever. Struggles in pass coverage. Though he managed to stumble into an INT today).

I don't remember Bazaldua missing many 40 to 50 yard field goals.

Nick missed 22 career field goals (%.656) in four years of college. In nine years in the NFL, Vanderjagt has missed 36 (%.864).

2. Flozel Adams (A pile of potatoes could paly LT as well as he could, the the pile of potatoes would false start or chop block)

He is blocking Dwight Freeney, who has 53.5 sacks in 4 1/2 years in the NFL. But the pile of potatoes could chop him I'm sure.

3. Roy Williams (most over rated safety ever. Struggles in pass coverage. Though he managed to stumble into an INT today).

Despite playing close to the line most of the time, he has managed to stumble into 31 passes defensed in 4 1/2 years, while Ed Reed, who is considered to be the best safety in the NFL and far superior to Williams in coverage, has 33 over the same amount of time.

I just looked these up out of my own curiousity, don't let them get in the way of your perceptions.

I will assume you meant Dallas Clark. First of all (and Simms said this one), if the LB that was man on Clark is going to blitz, and Williams is going to pick him up, he can't allow that much cushion that close to the goal line. I know he was afraid of cheating too far up and tipping the blitz to Manning, but you have to be a little closer against a good tight end like that. Secondly, if you watch it, as Clarks steps got shorter, Williams failed to sink his hips and allow himself to open up quickly. Those two mistakes make for an easy completion. Not that I expect you to see stuff like that, so just stick with the generic "he can't cover". Also, disregard the fact he had picked off a similar play near the goal line earlier in the game, and the Cowboys just held the Colts to 14 points in their first loss of the year. That won't help your argument. ohmy.gif

Where is Bazaldua?

Nick is living at his mother's home in Desoto, working, and saving money for when he goes back to school. He has recently gotten engaged, and is contemplating where to pursue his graduate studies.

His Rhodes Scholarship is good for pretty much any college on the planet.

I will assume you meant Dallas Clark.  First of all (and Simms said this one), if the LB that was man on Clark is going to blitz, and Williams is going to pick him up, he can't allow that much cushion that close to the goal line.  I know he was afraid of cheating too far up and tipping the blitz to Manning, but you have to be a little closer against a good tight end like that.  Secondly, if you watch it, as Clarks steps got shorter, Williams failed to sink his hips and allow himself to open up quickly.  Those two mistakes make for an easy completion.  Not that I expect you to see stuff like that, so just stick with the generic "he can't cover". Also, disregard the fact he had picked off a similar play near the goal line earlier in the game, and the Cowboys just held the Colts to 14 points in their first loss of the year.  That won't help your argument.  ohmy.gif

Of course, I didn't pick up on all of that either but I certainly appreciate you pointing it out as I'll watch for that next time. But for me I simply think RW is affective because you can see recievers and backs starting to "Get Down" a little earlier on catches and runs because they know he's coming. And I see TE and WR's short arm it a few times as well. RW brings the house for sure and is a reason why Dallas has one of the best defenses in the NFL right now.

Rick

I'm being as objective as I can, and I don't think he is terrible in coverage. He is average, and shouldn't be part of his job, but the bad part is that he is still the best the Cowboys have in that role. With Keith Davis out there, you have a Roy Williams Lite and it puts the Cowboys in a bind. One example is a week or two ago when the free safety got burned and Roy had worked his way all the way across field (still almost made the play, but the ref took him out), and the color guy started ripping Roy's coverage before actually seeing the replay and noting that it wasn't even his zone. I wish Pat Watkins would come along and be the pure coverage free safety that Roy is not and let Roy wreak havoc in the box.

I own the man's jersey from a few year old impulse buy, but nothing drives me nuts more than the 3-4 times today he trash talked people off hits that followed 10+ yard gains. He is what he is - he's not a bad player to have on your team, but he's not a complete pass defender. We got spoiled with Woodson.

Williams did make some nice coverage plays today. He defend the hell out out of Newman's interception.

He is average, and shouldn't be part of his job, but the bad part is that he is still the best the Cowboys have in that role.

He is the Free Safety. That means coverage. He should learn to get better at all of his job, not just the parts that get him on Sportscenter.

And start watching when unloads on someone. More often than not, he is leading with his head. He has already got nailed for that twice this year.

He is a very talented player, but he will give you the missed coverage or boneheaded play once or twice a game; and that's way too much for the money he's making.

That's the point, he SHOULD be the strong safety and hang out in the box, blitz, and cover backs out or tight ends, with a true free safety helping over the top. But with Keith Davis out there, you have an even worse player in coverage and Roy finds himself playing free over the top more often than fits his talents.