Players/coaches shocked by DD's firing

MeanGreen61

UNT shocked by Dickey firing

By ADAM SPARKS and MONTE HALE JR.

The Daily News Journal

North Texas assistant coaches and players were taken aback last week when it was announced head coach Darrell Dickey would not return next season.

"It was a total shock," said UNT assistant coach Kenny Evans. "In a six-year period we've only lost eight conference games. Our players were shocked. We know how close we are and how good we can be.

"Less than two years ago we won a championship and played in a bowl game. But at the same time, it's part of the business. It's a great profession, but some times loyalty is not two ways."

Evans credited Dickey for the way he handled the team last week.

"He did a very good job," Evans said. "He said to continue to play with class and go out and have fun the next three weeks. It doesn't surprise me. Coach Dickey knows how to handle adversity."

Under Dickey, North Texas won the first four Sun Belt championships from 2001-04 and reeled off a 26-game conference winning streak that ended last season.

SUN BELT NOTES (AROUND THE SUN BELT)

http://dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/.../611140328/1006

The only surprise is that everyone claims to have been surprised. Players, assistant coaches, other SBC coaches, player's grammas, columnists, mattress salesmen...

There is no freakin' way this was a "complete surprise" to anyone.

Everyone saw the writing on the wall...poor overall record, horrible in OOC games, unimaginative game plans, lack of in-game adjustments, lack of discipline, program taking backward steps instead of forward, tricked-up kickoffs at least twice per game, etc.

Quit telling us you were surprised.

The only surprise is that everyone claims to have been surprised.  Players, assistant coaches, other SBC coaches, player's grammas, columnists, mattress salesmen...

Everyone saw the writing on the wall...poor overall record, horrible in OOC games, unimaginative game plans, lack of in-game adjustments, lack of discipline, program taking backward steps instead of forward, tricked-up kickoffs at least twice per game, etc.

Yep, if I were AD I would have fired somebody after the bang your head against the wall Tulsa game. That was the worst playcalling I have ever heard about. Fry was right, we should have just punted on 1st down.

Why you gotta hate?

People on this boar were surprised.  People on this board even question the actual announcement on this board by the board administrator.  And what's wrong with putting things politely even if it "wasn't a total shock."

No hatin' intended. Perhaps I overstated my point. I just don't think anyone should have been surprised, maybe by the timing, but not the fact that it happened.

Will Coach Evans or any other members of the staff get an opportunity to interview with the new coach? Since Kenny was considered enough of an assest to be offered the LB job at Oklahoma State a few years a go I wonder if he would be considered as a member of the new staff here? He pulled off some great victories for us as a recruiter over the years.

Thoughts?

Rick

Isn't it amazing how low expectation, low goals and sometimes reaching those low goals has affected the psyche of those who need to check where DD Ball has us standing nationally (and even after 9 years)? sad.gif

"Hey boss! I know out of 100 other salesmen in our company I finished #90 the last 2 years (insert "a trend, perhaps?") but why the hell did you have to conjure up such an idea as firing me over that?" ph34r.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think everyone is just being diplomatic about the wholw situation.  It would be a bit rude to pile on at this point.

Having said that, yes, I am quite positive this came as huge shock to everyone...

I am sure it was a shock as it was finally time for someone at UNT to grow a set and do what should have been done 5 years ago

I believe it will be up to the new HC to determine who stays and who goes. RF will be gone. I think he is the reason DD got fired. If DD would have cut ties with him a couple of years ago, DD would still be our coach.

Has anyone brought this up?

DD calls the plays for the Green Team and we see more production and more agressive play calling. Why did DD let RF run us into the ground? Sorry for the pun.

ohmy.gif

I believe it will be up to the new HC to determine who stays and who goes.  RF will be gone.  I think he is the reason DD got fired.  If DD would have cut ties with him a couple of years ago, DD would still be our coach.

Has anyone brought this up?

DD calls the plays for the Green Team and we see more production and more agressive play calling.  Why did DD let RF run us into the ground? Sorry for the pun.

ohmy.gif

Its a combination of DD and Brewster calling the Green teams plays. I really think what got DD fired was he was not willing to get rid of RF. I think in due time that will come out.

The only surprise is that everyone claims to have been surprised.  Players, assistant coaches, other SBC coaches, player's grammas, columnists, mattress salesmen...

--- In the twenty-one (21) games immediately prior to the announcement, North Texas had walked off the filed only FOUR (4) times as the winner...

--- Anyone who then thinks being removed was a surprise is someone who accepts losing as normal and acceptable.

--- DD did many good things but they haven't been lately and there are now no good excuses especially while playing in a conference that many on this board thinks is the weakest in D-I. Without insulting certain opponents I think most of us believe that we should be near if not over 50% every year (even with a couple of nearly impossible games) considering the talent that is out there to recruit from.

**** IF there is a lesson to be learned here, it is that the assistant coaches are very key to the program. There needs to be a good collection of them to do well. DD did not change through the years that much but the assistants did and it showed. Assistants teach, motivate, and they recruit, this last group as a group was not getting it done,

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66