Time for Tune

Eagle Man

We need to find out now if our new coach will need to recruit a top high school QB this recruiting season.

Screw the red shirt let the kid show us what he's got. If he proves worthy then we have him for 3 solid years.

The other three QB's are more D1AA in my most humble opinion.

Also, if I were the head coach last Saturday night Muzzy would have been pulled from the game and delegated to the bench until the contest was over, period!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, if I were the head coach last Saturday night Muzzy would have been pulled from the game and delegated to the bench until the contest was over, period!

On the tune idea not a bad idea - doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening. As for the Muzzy mistake. Definately a WTF!?!?! moment.

Edited by Stan R

We need to find out now if our new coach will need to recruit a top high school QB this recruiting season.

Screw the red shirt let the kid show us what he's got. If he proves worthy then we have him for 3 solid years.

Huh? Unless a big name Coach is hired, we aren't getting a top qb.

Edited by Green Crazy

Bad, bad idea. Let's not follow down the same path with Tune as we did with Meager. Why waste a red shirt on a losing season? I know it is painful to watch us play, but a quick fix answer to our "offense" is NOT ruining another QB's career by throwing him in before he is prepared and with o-line that cannot protect him very well.

Here's an idea. Why don't we continue the improvement in blocking that I saw in the first drive last Saturday. Let's block like that the whole game!

THEN, put in some mid-range (10-15 yrds over the middle) passing plays and give the QB (Meager or Wilson) time to throw.

THEN, start trying to get the ball to Jackson, who is (potentially) just as big of a playmaker as JQ.

If the TD pass that Mr. Collins (95) caught is any indication of his development as a TE, then we should try to get the ball to him more often as well.

Here's an idea. Why don't we continue the improvement in blocking that I saw in the first drive last Saturday. Let's block like that the whole game!

THEN, put in some mid-range (10-15 yrds over the middle) passing plays and give the QB (Meager or Wilson) time to throw.

THEN, start trying to get the ball to Jackson, who is (potentially) just as big of a playmaker as JQ.

If the TD pass that Mr. Collins (95) caught is any indication of his development as a TE, then we should try to get the ball to him more often as well.

Are you serious? blink.gif

Where do you come up with this stuff? cool.gif

Edited by DeepGreen

Correction, 2 TD passes caught, one called back because we apparently have an OL speed demon! Collins was impressive!!!

Save Tune for next year... The saying goes "If you have 2 QB's you don't have 1". What would saying be for 4 QB's, "We don't have a clue!"???

Bad, bad idea.  Let's not follow down the same path with Tune as we did with Meager.  Why waste a red shirt on a losing season? I know it is painful to watch us play, but a quick fix answer to our "offense" is NOT ruining another QB's career by throwing him in before he is prepared and with o-line that cannot protect him very well.

We would not be wasting a red shirt on a losing season by playing Tune. Lets find out now whether this kid can play or not. Why wait until next year when we very well might have to throw him into the fire without any experience because Meager, Wilson and Phillips all bomb out again. All three of these guys have had playing time and frankly I don't see any of them as being capable of competing with some of the current young QB's in the SBC let alone OOC.

We need someone a cut above the average. Maybe Tune is that gem in the rough. His high school coach seems to think so and gave him a solid endorsement. Hell, lets find out. Let's find out now. Let the kid play. Give him a chance. We have nothing to lose anymore.

Also lets quit thinking that we have all the time in the world. We don't. Maybe that was ok in 1994 but we don't have that luxury anymore.

Any day our great country can be shut down for good and that would mean the end of football as we know it today. So. lets give it everything we've got now. No holding back! The time is now, today! Tomorrow may never come and what would we do with that red shirt then?

We would not be wasting a red shirt on a losing season by playing Tune. Lets find out now whether this kid can play or not. Why wait until next year when we very well might have to throw him into the fire without any experience because Meager, Wilson and Phillips all bomb out again.  All three of these guys have had playing time and frankly I don't see any of them as being capable of competing with some of the current young QB's in the SBC let alone OOC.

We need someone a cut above the average. Maybe Tune is that gem in the rough. His high school coach seems to think so and gave him a solid endorsement. Hell, lets find out. Let's find out now. Let the kid play. Give him a chance. We have nothing to lose anymore.

Also lets quit thinking that we have all the time in the world. We don't. Maybe that was ok in 1994 but we don't have that luxury anymore.

Any day our great country can be shut down for good and that would mean the end of football as we know it today. So. lets give it everything we've got now. No holding back! The time is now, today! Tomorrow may never come and what would we do with that red shirt then?

My point is that we would not find out how good Tune is by playing him right now. He'd get thrown to the wolves and look worse than Wilson or Meager. He needs time to prepare. Moreover, I think our country will be around long enough to use Tune's red shirt. If fact, I'll bet the home, savings, and anything else I can find if you want take that bet. biggrin.gif

Let's see you can just add top high school QB to the list of a top RB,WR,OT,OG,C,TE,DE,DL,MLB,OLB,CB,SS,FS,PK,PWater Boy,Trainer, about 10 Coaches and throw in some new Cheerleaders & some Gatorade

Why in GODs name do you think Tune could do any better. Yeah he looked good in a High School game , but lets face it the only reason he is even here is because he didnt get any D-I offers and this college was close to home.

If you want to pull out every player who made a mistake , you'd be searching in the stands by the 4th quarter to try to field a team.

My point is that we would not find out how good Tune is by playing him right now. He'd get thrown to the wolves and look worse than Wilson or Meager.  He needs time to prepare.  Moreover, I think our country will be around long enough to use Tune's red shirt.  If fact, I'll bet the home, savings, and anything else I can find if you want take that bet.  biggrin.gif

Maybe you or our current coaching staff would not be able to evaluate Tune's ability during a five game stretch but I know I could and so could many of the posters on this board.

As to your bold and confident assertion as to the future well-being of the U.S. Thinking and making bets isn't very comforting, is it?

Let's see you can just add top high school QB to the list of a top RB,WR,OT,OG,C,TE,DE,DL,MLB,OLB,CB,SS,FS,PK,PWater Boy,Trainer, about 10 Coaches and throw in some new Cheerleaders & some Gatorade

Why in GODs name do you think Tune could do any better. Yeah he looked good in a High School game , but lets face it the only reason he is even here is because he didnt get any D-I offers and this college was close to home.

If you want to pull out every player who made a mistake , you'd be searching in the stands by the 4th quarter to try to field a team.

First, is it really that difficult to comprehend what I said concerning Tune?

Second, Muzzy is a senior. He made a supid foolish mistake at a critical point in the contest. He should have known better and yes I would have yanked him from the game, period!

I've already seen what Tune can do by watching him play this summer and in 2 a days. That's why I questioned as to why he was in our camp WALKING ON after the first week. A week later he got a ship to right that wrong.

The coaches certianly know what he can do which is why they won't waste his redshirt on this dismal season.

RIck

Second, Muzzy is a senior. He made a supid foolish mistake at a critical point in the contest. He should have known better and yes I would have yanked him from the game, period!

I guess your the one not getting it. Let the kid get killed in 5 meaningless games and perhaps kill his confidence and maybe get injured??? Incase you have not been watching our OL takes a few quarters off each game. Getting hit by someone from Pilot Point is much different than getting buried from someone from Troy.

Our coaching staff has no idea what it is doing , so why confuse him anymore. Hopefully he'll get a new coaching staff next year who knows what there doing. If so he'll have 4 full years to prove himself.

Screw the red shirt, the experience is more important. You can spend the five games now, games that are nothing more than a formality or you can spend those games on experience next year at the start of a new season when each game will mean so much more. Waiting until next year to give Tune five games worth of experiene will take us almost half way into the 2007 season.

Every year we start out 5 games behind! We are never ready at the start of the season. Change that! Start preparing now for next year so we aren't still evaluating our talent 5 games into the season!! Let Tune play with JT and some of the young receivers now. Who cares if he makes a mistake? Lets see how he handles it.

As for injury, c'mon, thats a risk every player takes and it can happen anytime. If we have a philosophy of fear no one would ever take a chance and the U.S. wouldn't exist.

As for screwing up the young man's confidence? Lets see! Maybe he's the kind of kid thats thrives on adversity. Maybe it brings out the best in him. Maybe it will show him what he needs to work on during spring training. Maybe this kids a winner unlike many who post on this board.

As for wasting a red shirt? Who says the kid will stay in school 5 years? Maybe he'll graduate in 4 and move on. Who can guarantee that he will even stay at UNT?

Too many people on this board think like Dickey and you can see where that got us.

We need major change. We need to be bold.

Are we REALLY having this discussion? Waste Tune's redshirt so that we can "see what we have"? Usually I take people who are thinking like this to jail because they have either crack or meth in their back pocket.

We have NO IDEA what we have at the QB position, at least not with Woody or Phillips. No quarterback can show what he is capable of when he is both handcuffed by the playbook and running for his life on every down. Saying you can honestly evaluate what a quarterback hs under these circumstances is like saying you can judge a wide receiver when you allow pass interference on every play. He has NO chance.

Are we REALLY having this discussion?  Waste Tune's redshirt so that we can "see what we have"?  Usually I take people who are thinking like this to jail because they have either crack or meth in their back pocket.

We have NO IDEA what we have at the QB position, at least not with Woody or Phillips.  No quarterback can show what he is capable of when he is both handcuffed by the playbook and running for his life on every down.  Saying you can honestly evaluate what a quarterback hs under these circumstances is like saying you can judge a wide receiver when you allow pass interference on every play.  He has NO chance.

Many of you have been dumbed down and you don't even know it.

Edited by Eagle Man

Many of you have been dumbed down and you don't even know it.

Are you insane? There is not a quarterback alive that can elude an 8 man rush when they maintain outside contain. Letting Tune now would be a waste of his eligibilty. Scott Hall couldn't get this team to the NO Bowl. We need BLOCKING more than a QB.

Alright "swallow man" I let the first comment on this thread slide but feel like I need to defend my son at this point.

The first punt by Ark.St was short but the roll took it down inside the 20 maybe even the 15 yd line.

Why was it not fielded?... Because everyone who has ever played the game and returned punts knows that if you can't get to it in the air or have a very favorable bounce you are supposed get away from it which is exactly what Zach did.

The coaches told him that if the next one was on the ground like that to not let it roll but instead, "attemp to field it so we don't give up so many yards on the roll". So, in my opinion it was poor coaching to put anyone in the position to attempt to field a rolling football because nobody including you "swallow man" can predict how a football is going to bounce. Did Zach feel bad about the muffed punt? Of course, was it all his fault? I don't think so because if he was allowed to do what he has always been taught to do with a rolling punt which is to get the hell away from it, the turnover would not have happened.

As far as it having any game changing impact on the outcome I guess it would have been 26-10 instead of 29-10 since the defense held them to a FG and the score was 10-10 after the turnover.

I've seen some of your finer post over on that other POS of a board and you fit in much better over there with the rest of the bitter little people who somehow feel better when badmouthing others.