Obervations

untcampbell

Section H (the Pizza Section) got to see TWO great goal line stands.

How many plays did we run east-west and never get back to the line of scrimmage? Are we that slow, or are they (0 and 6 they) that fast?

Was it the drive that tied the game that we got most of our yards from the penalty flag? We were discussing the geometric impossibility of being able to score via the penalty flag, because, assuming an infinite amount of penalty flags, you can only get half the distance to the goal each time. Thus you must score by running a penalty free play, or declining the penalty, should you ever be able to push the ball over the goal line.

What an incredible display of emotions after the game:

In the middle, the on-field celebration of fans and team (thanks for not taking down the goal posts). And in front of Section H, strewn with exhausted, crying FIU players. And then, FF Rick going over to a few of them and patting them on the shoulder with a "good game."

7 overtimes, 14 drives that began at the 25 and not one touchdown...hmmmmmmm.

9 FG attempts in a game...that is a season for some teams.

4 FG misses in one game...that is a season for some teams.

Funniest thing about the game running as long as it did:

No jersey numbers will be mentioned, but how hilarious was it when THREE of our players came running to the North end zone, disappeared under the stands, only to emerge with a "What a relief" look on their faces. By the way, Man Law was broken when two of the players went to the "mens room" together. Player number one may also have had a case of diarrhea pants, judging from the way he was walking on the way back to the bench and the amount of time it took him to emerge from the stands...and yes, I do understand how long it takes to get those stupid football pants off. Recommendation: stay away from the funnel cakes.

It was fun listening to fan reaction during the overtime:

"Can we just agree to tie, and go home"

"Someone please score so I can go home (like we were chained to our seats, and couldn't leave voluntarilly)"

"That guy is taking a piss."

Best sign that a coaching change is in order: 15,153 fans for homecoming.

I am amazed (and grateful) at the number of people that come to the games (noticed this last season and through games one and two this year) that have no apparent ties to NT, but have kids and enjoy a relatively inexpensive night of college football. Especially obvious in Section H, but I talk to other families over at the JMG club zone. This is a thank you note to RV.

Should we ever build a new stadium, I would like it to be U-shaped. And the open end should be where ALL Mean Green tailgating occurs. Picture a huge, open area, pie-shaped with the narrow end coming up toward the end zone, tiered with rows wide enough to put up tents, where people can set up, cook, eat, drink AND watch the game. It would be fenced to keep the drunks off the field but would require a ticket (or student ID) to get in. Essentially we are talking about the DECK, but a BYOB deck. Nominal charge for reserved space allows you truck/car access to get your grills down to your space no later than 3 hours before the game (with pick up at least one hour after the game ends).

Section H witnessed the debut of Johnny Quinn a few years back, with as I recall a couple of spectacular catches right in front of us. I remember yelling, "that kid's a FRESHMAN!" What I would give to see our all-time best QB (debate: Ramsey/Maher/Washington/Case, others?) passing to that guy.

Single best buy in college football: Junior Mean Green Club. $15 per kid gets you a shirt, bouncy house fun and, most important, being on the field to welcome the team back from half time. My kids, and the friends they bring, just absolutely love this.

Second best value: Section H Family Pack.

I will know we are where we want to be as a football program when the game is as much fun as the pre-game/post-game. When ALL tailgaters actually come in to SEE the game.

Isn't it weird when you drive up to the stadium two hours before game time, and find the Green lot about 20% full?

Fans on the front row in Section H, are about ten yards closer to the field than fans sitting on the front row at the 50 yard line. Still too far, but closer.

Some tailgaters (namely the group in the Green Lot North end, among others) can see the game from their parking lot view of the big screen. Those who have tickets do go scan them, I am told, whether they ever go to their seats or not.

Did anyone notice that during the pre-game introductions, announcer dropped Super from Jamario's name? Announcer apparently made him earn it, as Super was added back on after a long run. Mighty remains a part of Johnny Quinn's name...always.

Favorite 2006 poster: chrisfisher. Keep it positive, bruthuh.

Please pardon all words spelled incorrectly, and grammatical errors...this post is too long to edit.

Section H (the Pizza Section) got to see TWO great goal line stands.

How many plays did we run east-west and never get back to the line of scrimmage? Are we that slow, or are they (0 and 6 they) that fast?

Was it the drive that tied the game that we got most of our yards from the penalty flag? We were discussing the geometric impossibility of being able to score via the penalty flag, because, assuming an infinite amount of penalty flags, you can only get half the distance to the goal each time. Thus you must score by running a penalty free play, or declining the penalty, should you ever be able to push the ball over the goal line.

What an incredible display of emotions after the game:

In the middle, the on-field celebration of fans and team (thanks for not taking down the goal posts). And in front of Section H, strewn with exhausted, crying FIU players. And then, FF Rick going over to a few of them and patting them on the shoulder with a "good game."

7 overtimes, 14 drives that began at the 25 and not one touchdown...hmmmmmmm.

9 FG attempts in a game...that is a season for some teams.

4 FG misses in one game...that is a season for some teams.

Funniest thing about the game running as long as it did:

No jersey numbers will be mentioned, but how hilarious was it when THREE of our players came running to the North end zone, disappeared under the stands, only to emerge with a "What a relief" look on their faces.  By the way, Man Law was broken when two of the players went to the "mens room" together. Player number one may also have had a case of diarrhea pants, judging from the way he was walking on the way back to the bench and the amount of time it took him to emerge from the stands...and yes, I do understand how long it takes to get those stupid football pants off. Recommendation: stay away from the funnel cakes.

It was fun listening to fan reaction during the overtime:

"Can we just agree to tie, and go home"

"Someone please score so I can go home (like we were chained to our seats, and couldn't leave voluntarilly)"

"That guy is taking a piss."

Best sign that a coaching change is in order: 15,153 fans for homecoming.

I am amazed (and grateful) at the number of people that come to the games (noticed this last season and through games one and two this year) that have no apparent ties to NT, but have kids and enjoy a relatively inexpensive night of college football. Especially obvious in Section H, but I talk to other families over at the JMG club zone. This is a thank you note to RV.

Should we ever build a new stadium, I would like it to be U-shaped. And the open end should be where ALL Mean Green tailgating occurs. Picture a huge, open area, pie-shaped with the narrow end coming up toward the end zone, tiered with rows wide enough to put up tents, where people can set up, cook, eat, drink AND watch the game. It would be fenced to keep the drunks off the field but would require a ticket (or student ID) to get in. Essentially we are talking about the DECK, but a BYOB deck. Nominal charge for reserved space allows you truck/car access to get your grills down to your space no later than 3 hours before the game (with pick up at least one hour after the game ends).

Section H witnessed the debut of Johnny Quinn a few years back, with as I recall a couple of spectacular catches right in front of us. I remember yelling, "that kid's a FRESHMAN!" What I would give to see our all-time best QB (debate: Ramsey/Maher/Washington/Case, others?) passing to that guy.

Single best buy in college football: Junior Mean Green Club. $15 per kid gets you a shirt, bouncy house fun and, most important, being on the field to welcome the team back from half time. My kids, and the friends they bring, just absolutely love this.

I will know we are where we want to be as a football program when the game is as much fun as the pre-game/post-game. When ALL tailgaters actually come in to SEE the game.

Isn't it weird when you drive up to the stadium two hours before game time, and find the Green lot about 20% full?

Fans on the front row in Section H, are about ten yards closer to the field than fans sitting on the front row at the 50 yard line. Still too far, but closer.

Some tailgaters (namely the group in the Green Lot North end, among others) can see the game from their parking lot view of the big screen. Those who have tickets do go scan them, I am told, whether they ever go to their seats or not.

Did anyone notice that during the pre-game introductions, announcer dropped Super from Jamario's name? Announcer apparently made him earn it, as Super was added back on after a long run. Mighty remains a part of Johnny Quinn's name...always.

Favorite 2006 poster: chrisfisher. Keep it positive, bruthuh.

Please pardon all words spelled incorrectly, and grammatical errors...this post is too long to edit.

It's tough business trying to keep it positive! But I'll do my best. To tell the truth, I am trying to find balance in my life where I can enjoy the games, while at the same time maintain the high expectations I have for our program. I strongly believe these two goals are compatible. Folks around here want you to feel guilty for enjoying a win... weird. I will keep my head high and green no matter what.

It's tough business trying to keep it positive! But I'll do my best. To tell the truth, I am trying to find balance in my life where I can enjoy the games, while at the same time maintain the high expectations I have for our program. I strongly believe these two goals are compatible.  Folks around here want you to feel guilty for enjoying a win... weird. I will keep my head high and green no matter what.

Yea well, many of us have been here for a very long time and see an opportunity for us to really move forward, but just can't seem to. Enjoy the win. I hope we win out and go back to the Bowl game that will just further our current situation another 5 years. That's okay though, cause those of you that think we are on the right track, with another 4 years of this current regime, your thinking will change too.

All new fans:

You are not allowed to have positive view points because you don't know what HELL us long time fans have been through.

That is pure bull----.

Posts supporting the coach have gone down drastically, new fans or not. Many support the team regardless of the coach. We all know the problems with this program. A win is a positive for the program. Deal with it.

By the way, I got about 10 calls or congrats from neighbors or friends that congratulated NT on the win (most had no idea HOW, but knew of all the OT's).

Stand tall.

All new fans:

You are not allowed to have positive view points because you don't know what HELL us long time fans have been through.

That is pure bull----.

Posts supporting the coach have gone down drastically, new fans or not. Many support the team regardless of the coach.  We all know the problems with this program. A win is a positive for the program.  Deal with it.

By the way, I got about 10 calls or congrats from neighbors or friends that congratulated NT on the win (most had no idea HOW, but knew of all the OT's).

Stand tall.

Likewise... I got more calls and e-mails today than I did after SMU...

Yea well, many of us have been here for a very long time and see an opportunity for us to really move forward, but just can't seem to.  Enjoy the win.  I hope we win out and go back to the Bowl game that will just further our current situation another 5 years.  That's okay though, cause those of you that think we are on the right track, with another 4 years of this current regime, your thinking will change too.

I don't even think you read my post. I never said we are on the right track or even implied that. You only saw: supporting team = keep the status quo. NEWS FLASH: We are currently in the SBC division and can ONLY (realistically) attend the New Orleans Bowl. That's it. Nothing else. Should we hope our team loses so we don't squander the chance to move forward? That’s twisted thinking. If we don’t go to games, stop donations, etc., do you really think this would motivate the admin to increase the football budget? Do you think our positive posts that we enjoyed the game will change RV’s mind about a need for change? What is your specific solution? I interested to hear how we should “properly” support the team.

All are excused only because you look disturbingly like Willem Dafoe.

laugh.giflaugh.gif

This is true because I've seen him as well - I sit in the kids section - sec. H as well. I can hear him yelling hilarious things out like - "ok, cancel the fireworks now!" after FIU scored the touchdown to get the lead...

for reference:

user posted image

YES YES

Jay Dub, Stan R, NT91, Cowtown...come say hi some time. There is now a group of regulars that show up in that section and it is fun to be around them.

And many nights, we have a better view than most in the middle. We have seen countless JMo up the middle and WR screens that gain little...even the wraparound draw would be a welcome sight at this point!

From the stuff I am spewing, you know I know very little about football...just having a good time with friends, supporting my school...happy idiot that I am.

Look for me in Section H. I am the one guy in that section without kids because mine are always moving down to the rail. I am also the guy who starred in Platoon and... The Andy Griffith Show.

I will look for you, but I must warn you, my wild ass grandfather warned me never to trust anyone named Campbell. It is a grudge my clan holds against yours...dates back a few centuries to Scotland. In addition to that I am not allowed to wear "The Black Watch".

My grandfather also drank his beer on the rocks and tied flies using my grandmothers red hair.

GMG