Re-Watched the Entire UNT vs. SMU Game

chrisfisher

Last night I stayed up and re-watched us smash SMU. We looked great in a number of departments, many of which have already been commented on in this forum after our win. However, one major area of concern was Jamario's lackluster stats until the 4th quarter. Many runs were ho-hum that ended on the line of scrimmage or for a 1 or 2 yard gain. My intention here is not to dog Jamario. Everyone knows he is talented, and he ended up with decent stats when it was all over.

Nonetheless, should I be concerned with this? Or is this a typical start for him? I started my graduate education at UNT in 2005 (and we know how that season went for Jamario) so I don't have any background to judge this performance. Maybe he is a slow starter? Offensive line problems? Any comments?

When you watch something like that, ask yourself if it was Barry Sanders or LT back there would it change anything? Many times there is just nothing there. The line certainly hasn't shown it can open up holes. There were about 13 men in the box most of the night, so this can't all go on the line. Good QB/WR play can open up those running lanes for us.

When you watch something like that, ask yourself if it was Barry Sanders or LT back there would it change anything?  Many times there is just nothing there.  The line certainly hasn't shown it can open up holes.  There were about 13 men in the box most of the night, so this can't all go on the line.  Good QB/WR play can open up those running lanes for us.

With Wilson unable to make any reads JaMo will get killed this year. Yes Wilson will get yards but can he get more than JaMo should. In 2004 Hall was able to check to the plays that were open for the running back. Wilson is unable to make these reads so the O will have to be cut back.

Don't get on the line if the quarterback is the cause...........

Many times in the SMU the ball was going into the strength of the defense when checking to the other side would gave gained 6-7 yards not the 1 yard stop at the line.

With Wilson unable to make any reads JaMo will get killed this year.  Yes Wilson will get yards but can he get more than JaMo should.  In 2004 Hall was able to check to the plays that were open for the running back. Wilson is unable to make these reads so the O will have to be cut back.

Many times in the SMU the ball was going into the strength of the defense when checking to the other side would gave gained 6-7 yards not the 1 yard stop at the line.

That was the point I made earlier, but with a different emphasis. You have to realize that Wilson is new to the system. He will get better with practice, film work and experience and when he does our offense will really roll. Vince Young made a lot of mistakes in his first two years, but when he began to really grasp the offensive scheme nobody could stop him.

So it sounds like Jamario could potentially have rough sailing this season? Hopefully Wilson's scrambling ability will keep the defenses from simply ramming us up the middle, which could free up some running room for Jamario.

With Wilson unable to make any reads JaMo will get killed this year.  Yes Wilson will get yards but can he get more than JaMo should.  In 2004 Hall was able to check to the plays that were open for the running back. Wilson is unable to make these reads so the O will have to be cut back.

Are you reading this Illivius? Somebody else whose only knock they can find on Woody is that he "doesn't make the correct reads." Boy, I sure hope one day we can put Peyton Manning under center so we can critique him on any/everything we can find to dig up.

And you have knowledge of these plays because you are the offensive coordinator? We're you wired in to the direct link between the playcall booth and sidelines? Please, let us know on which plays were called and should've been checked down at the line of scrimmage. Also, which positions are we looking for when checking down? Inside eye, 2 technique tackles, 5 technique ends, line shifts, spacing between the D-line, etc. Were blocking techniques supposed to change? Backside cutoff blocks changed to down blocks, base blocks to combo blocks, etc???

dry.gifdry.gif

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

There were about 13 men in the box most of the night

I am going to have to disagree with Zeke on this one, because I saw 15 guys in the box sometimes. biggrin.gif

The comment about Woody not making reads is typical of the arm chair QB. mad.gif

If the offense runs that smooth with Woody making bad reads, then lets not even let him practice so he can really mess things up with his reads.

J-Mo had something like 84 yds in the second half. That is because Woody's ability opened up the offense.

The main reason J-Mo didn't have any yards in the first half, looking "lackluster", was because Phillips does nothing to back people off the line of scrimmage, and that coupled with our horrible offensive line play, made for tough running.

When Woody is in there you take away the defenses ability to solely key the tailback. You have to respect the abilities of Wilson.

His accuracy is also something that is going to open up the running game for J-Mo, and that is something that has not been mentioned much. The kid is like 14 of 18 throwing the ball this season.

Also notice you don't have to have a rocket arm to be effective passing the ball, the short stuff has been very effective this season.

I am going to have to disagree with Zeke on this one, because I saw 15 guys in the box sometimes. biggrin.gif

The comment about Woody not making reads is typical of the arm chair QB. mad.gif

If the offense runs that smooth with Woody making bad reads, then lets not even let him practice so he can really mess things up with his reads.

J-Mo had something like 84 yds in the second half.  That is because Woody's ability opened up the offense.

The main reason J-Mo didn't have any yards in the first half, looking "lackluster", was because Phillips does nothing to back people off the line of scrimmage, and that coupled with our horrible offensive line play, made for tough running.

When Woody is in there you take away the defenses ability to solely key the tailback.  You have to respect the abilities of Wilson.

His accuracy is also something that is going to open up the running game for J-Mo, and that is something that has not been mentioned much.  The kid is like 14 of 18 throwing the ball this season. 

Also notice you don't have to have a rocket arm to be effective passing the ball, the short stuff has been very effective this season.

I'm anxious to see how he does with the start this week. If he plays the entire game do you think there is a chance he could throw, GASP, 20-25 times?

Didn't Hall get knocked because, although efficient in passing, he never had enough attempts per game (15 I think) to vault him into the ranks of Nations best?

I'm anxious to see how he does with the start this week. If he plays the entire game do you think there is a chance he could throw, GASP, 20-25 times?

Didn't Hall get knocked because, although efficient in passing, he never had enough attempts per game (15 I think) to vault him into the ranks of Nations best?

Woody can't do it if the o-line doesn't come to play. Well, let me correct that, they will come to play, but the had better start playing well.

I really don't think so. It is archived on Mean Green Premium. I wanted to download it for future viewing and couldn't. It launches its own Windows Media viewer and never gives the "save as" option.

ignore this message. I thought I was responding to a personal message. sorry.

Woody can't do it if the o-line doesn't come to play.  Well, let me correct that, they will come to play, but the had better start playing well.

Woody seems to be the cure for a not-so-strong offensive line..he keeps everyone honest by not letting them load up on the line, knowing that if he breaks threw the line or outside he is long gone before you can say 7 points.

Jamario didn't get his yards until the fourth quarter because SMU took him away from us (8 & 9 men in the box) and then dared us to beat them some other way. They finally figured out that we did have someone else who could beat them (Woody and Woody throwing to JQ), and then the running opportunities opened up for Jamario.

Be patient.  When Woody gets a real start, gets in sync w/ Jamario, and starts finding Nwigwe and Jackson downfield instead of just Quinn, this thing is really going to get fun.

Any thoughts about Tulsa's D scheme against us? I'm not really familiar with the 3-3-5 system. Do we think they'll double team Quinn? Anyone know the inherent strengths/weakness of the 3-3-5? What do we do that plays well/poorly against it, etc etc.

Are you reading this Illivius?  Somebody else whose only knock they can find on Woody is that he "doesn't make the correct reads."  Boy, I sure hope one day we can put Peyton Manning under center so we can critique him on any/everything we can find to dig up.

I'm guessing that was a joke, because I thought I explained to YOU specifically every reason why I both supported and was worried about Woody.

Look, you guys can goof on the importance of reads and checkdowns all you want, but without them, you can't get yourself in the right play. Don't just write it off like it doesn't mean anything. If you aren't going to adjust appropriately at the line, then I'll ALWAYS have reservations, even if I support you starting.

Sure I thought he made better reads on SMU, but he still has a long way to go, as Coach Dickey and Woody himself have said. I love the scrambling ability and impromptu playmaking of Saturday, but, at some point, you are going to run into a defense that prepares for you. They are going to have that cutback scramble/run scouted. They're going to know your tendencies, and seal you off because you are the biggest threat. So what then? If the other guy gameplans for your speed, can you make the right reads and check into the right plays to let someone ELSE do it?

Woody showed a random event against Texas, and showed a coincidence against SMU. To complete the old phrase, he's going to have his hands full making it a pattern against Tulsa. Their defense is returning NINE starters, and if the QB doesn't prepare (ANY QB, not just Woody. If it were Phillips or Meager, it'd be the same thing), for that unconventional 3-3-5 front, you aren't going anywhere.

So you guys can joke and say "I told you so" all you want. But that presupposes that I don't like Woody or don't support him or even actively root against him, none of which are true. I am just concerned that the law of averages is going to catch up with him unless he can learn to master the entire offense, not just his position.

For the record, I supported Woody starting aginst Tulsa from the minute that game ended. But I need to see him make the right reads consistently before I am comfortable saying he's the guy for the next two years.

Here's some information on the 3-3-5 (or Stack) defense from the Rice Thresher. Rice is running the same defense. The 335 is suited for a fast, athletic defense, and has the potential to cause WW problems.

"While many football fans today are fairly familiar with the spread offense, Rice’s new defense, the 3-3-5, which the coaching staff simply calls “the stack,” is fairly new in the college football scene. Like any defense, it has strengths and weaknesses, but Rice coaches are hoping its reliance on speed over brawn will make it a better fit for the Owls’ undersized personnel.

The stack, popularized at West Virginia — where Graham was a co-defensive coordinator — is a revolutionary approach that helps defenses keep up with offensive adaptations of recent years. The formations create a more fluid alignment that allows squads to outmaneuver the multiple formation offenses currently popular at the collegiate level.

The stack defense moves the team to a three-man line, which will require constant defensive line rotation. Behind the linemen are three linebackers and five defensive backs. More conventional defensive sets have four down linemen, three linebackers and four defensive backs. The stack allows the defense to take advantage of difficult blocking angles and the ability to blitz from anywhere on the field. The linebackers stand directly behind the defensive linemen, which makes it difficult for offensive linemen to read and pick up blocks.

While this stacked look is the base of the defense, the linebackers and safeties move around against different situations, providing confusion for the opposing offenses.

Defensive coordinator Paul Randolph said that the stack will allow him to vary personnel and positioning, but some options are limited.

“No matter what scheme you’re running, you’re going to get to a four man front once the ball is snapped,” Randolph said.

What this means is that regardless of the number of linebackers and safeties, four defensive players will usually commit to the line of scrimmage for both pass rush and run support. The stack defense greatly increases the possibilities of where players can attack the line from, with both linebackers and safeties available to become the fourth man. With the new responsibilities, many players have changed positions and techniques, but the defense began to gel at the close of the summer.

Several players have had impressive preseason workouts — junior George Chukwu and seniors William Wood and DeJuan Cooper will see extensive playing time at the nose guard position. Keeping defensive linemen fresh will be a key, especially since active defensive linemen are required to protect the undersized linebackers from offensive linemen. However, Randolph said protecting the linebacking corps is not the defensive line’s first responsibility.

“Sometimes the linebackers will have to fend for themselves, but we want our defensive line to be playmakers too,” Randolph explained.

The defense enters the season with not only a new scheme, but also a new philosophy to support it. Randolph was most recently the defensive ends coach at the University of Alabama, where his staff had one of the most talented and productive defenses in the nation. With their high discipline level, the Crimson Tide was a blitz-heavy defensive team, pressuring the quarterback and making big plays. The Owls hope to employ the blitz effectively as well.

However, while blitzing keeps offenses on their heels, it also puts a burden on defensive backs and linebackers in pass-coverage situations, usually leaving defensive backs in man-coverage against receivers. A defense less aggressive in pressuring the quarterback allows teams to play more zones, which lets them utilize angles and positioning to defend the pass and keep corners and safeties from getting beat by speedy, taller receivers.

But the threat of the blitz and the ability to mix and mask coverages and blitzes is just as effective as actual pressure and sending extra rushers. Randolph said that to be successful, a team must mix up when they blitz and when they drop extra defenders into pass coverage.

“Every defense has to have the threat of sending pressure, and we have a threat of sending pressure looming at all times. [Playing] man versus zone is situational. Looking at our group, we can play both and be good at both,” he said.

The threat of the blitz alone forces offensive linemen to adjust their blocking responsibilities and affects the play calling of coaches and the pre-snap reads a quarterback makes. Being able to mix zone and man coverage — and more importantly disguise those coverages — is key to defensive success.

If effective, Rice can expect more quarterback sacks with defensive pressure from players all over the field, especially the linebackers and defensive ends like senior Courtney Gordon, sophomore linebacker Brian Raines, and defensive backs sophomore Ja’Corey Shepard and senior Andray Downs.

One of the most unique aspects of the stack is that the two strong safeties, called the bandit safety and spur safety, also play an integral part in the run game and pass rush. True freshman Andrew Sendejo gets the starting nod at the spur position, opposite veteran senior Chad Price at the bandit spot."

Just my 2 cents, J-Mo doesnt look quite back to form yet, he looks more hesitant and doesnt look as confident as he did as a Freshman. I think he started coming out of that towards the end of the game, I thought anyways. I think running the split back veer out of the gun was genius. That was very innovative out of our coaches. I think that will continue to give defenses fits. Also the more the line gets comfortable the more yards he will get. With our zone blocking schemes, I think it takes a few games to really start gelling, and I think it will.

As far as the 3-3-5 goes, I know last year they killed us and Memphis plays a 3-3 and we had a tough time against them as well. It is hard to block when you dont see it that much. Here is the good thing though, if we keep them spread they can only keep 6 in the box. We will need to use trips and double sets this week to keep those outside backers away from the LOS. Also a bad thing about the 3-3-5 is their is so many blitz packages that you can do out of it, and I remember last year Tulsa blitzed the heeck out of us. It will give us fits but hopefully Woody will run wild.................

Two words: Keronna Henderson

Our line isn't strong enough to blow a good d-line off the ball. J-Mo needs help running inside. Give him a fullback that can lead the way. I don't get using a one-back set then running straight up the middle. When we started showing two backs in the second half and we kept J-Mo outside, things started to open up.

Speed we have, power we don't. Keep J-Mo outside the tackles as much as possible, use Mitchell to run between the tackles to keep J-MO fresh, use the option selectively to stretch the box.

Two words:  Keronna Henderson

Our line isn't strong enough to blow a good d-line off the ball.  J-Mo needs help running inside.  Give him a fullback that can lead the way.  I don't get using a one-back set then running straight up the middle.  When we started showing two backs in the second half and we kept J-Mo outside, things started to open up.

Speed we have, power we don't.  Keep J-Mo outside the tackles as much as possible, use Mitchell to run between the tackles to keep J-MO fresh, use the option selectively to stretch the box.

good point.

Two words:  Keronna Henderson

Our line isn't strong enough to blow a good d-line off the ball.  J-Mo needs help running inside.  Give him a fullback that can lead the way.  I don't get using a one-back set then running straight up the middle.  When we started showing two backs in the second half and we kept J-Mo outside, things started to open up.

Speed we have, power we don't.  Keep J-Mo outside the tackles as much as possible, use Mitchell to run between the tackles to keep J-MO fresh, use the option selectively to stretch the box.

I would add two more words to that..... "Keronna Henderson running plays". I've seen this guy run with the ball,.....he's a load.

Edited by SilverEagle