Tulsa Head Coach comments on last years game

Will to Win

Is there is anything you draw on last year's win at North Texas . . .

"I think the thing I really draw out of it is that it was 2-2 with about five minutes left in the second quarter. I remember talking to one of the referees at that point in time, the head linesman, and he asked me if I'd ever been in a game like this. I said no I've never been in a 2-2 game as long as I can remember. I don't even remember seeing a 2-2 game in my lifetime. Certainly that was a little bit different in terms of being in that type of complexion of the game.

For us, every year is different. North Texas is a much better football team than they were last year. They're much more dynamic on offense. They're utilizing more formations, more personnel packages. They've got some good players coming back. Jamario (Thomas) is a heck of a tailback. Johnny's (Quinn) a really good receiver who had multiple catches last week against SMU. Their new quarterback, Woody Wilson, is very, very talented and can make plays. They're certainly going to be a tough test for us defending them because they're doing so many more things on offense. I think Ramon (Flanigan) is doing a nice job with their offense. He's obviously presenting a lot more things that are more difficult to defend than they did last year. Then on the defensive side of the ball they are very, very sound. Freddy Bleil is their new defensive coordinator. I've known Freddy for a long time and he's a very sound football coach. They're not going to give up big play. They're going to make you earn everything. They're going to create turnovers by flying to the ball, and that was really what happened in the SMU game last week."

from: http://tulsahurricane.cstv.com/sports/m-fo.../091106aad.html

Notice he mentions Woody Wilson!

Nature Boy

I think Ramon (Flanigan) is doing a nice job with their offense. He's obviously presenting a lot more things that are more difficult to defend than they did last year.

Never thought I would see something like that. Very encouraging.

In unrelated news, Hell froze over.

Edited by good_ken

Never thought I would see something like that.  Very encouraging.

In unrelated news, Hell froze over.

I'm with you there, but if you have watched the offense perform this year against both Texas and SMU it comes a no suprise. I think I have seen more formations and different plays in 2 games than I have seen in the last 4 years out of RF. Maybe he (and Dickey) are starting to come into their own and really develop.

I don't buy it.  I think what really happened is they threw the playbooks out the window and just told Woody, "Look man, we're lost here and don't have a clue.  Do whatever the hell you wanna do."  The result?  A TD against Texas and an ass-whoopin against SMU.

I was wondering just that. As well advertised I am not a DD or RF fan, but do we have some players rising above their coaching and wining in spite of poor coaching?

I am not a DD or RF fan, but do we have some players rising above their coaching and wining in spite of poor coaching?

As I said in the during game chat: I really hope that DD suceeds, and makes some yall eat crow. That man can't win with some of you; he secures a bigtime win for the program and yall are trying to figure out how DD and RF didn't contribute to the win.

As I said in the during game chat: I really hope that DD suceeds, and makes some yall eat crow.  That man can't win with some of you; he secures a bigtime win for the program and yall are trying to figure out how DD and RF didn't contribute to the win.

I would love to eat my words and looking at the rankings there is no reason a decent team should not finish this season 11-1

(Rank) CBS SportsLine 119

(74) Sat, Sep 16 Tulsa at Tulsa, Oklahoma 6 p.m.

(46) Sat, Sep 23 Akron at Akron, Ohio 5 p.m.

(105) Sat, Sep 30 Middle Tennessee Denton, Texas 6 p.m.

(115) Sat, Oct 07 Florida International Denton, Texas 6 p.m.

(107) Sat, Oct 21 Arkansas State at Jonesboro, Arkansas 6 p.m.

(101) Sat, Oct 28 Troy at Troy, Alabama 6 p.m.

(93) Sat, Nov 04 Louisiana Tech Denton, Texas 6 p.m.

(103) Sat, Nov 11 Louisiana-Lafayette at Lafayette, Louisiana 4 p.m.

(118) Sat, Nov 18 Florida Atlantic Denton, Texas 6 p.m.

(106) Sat, Nov 25 Louisiana-Monroe at Monroe, Louisiana 6 p.m.

But I think we must have different ideas of big-time win, SMU was a "must win" not a big-time win in my book.

I would love to eat my words and looking at the rankings there is no reason a decent team should not finish this season 11-1

(74)  Sat, Sep 16  Tulsa  at Tulsa, Oklahoma    6 p.m.   

(46)  Sat, Sep 23  Akron  at Akron, Ohio    5 p.m.   

(105)  Sat, Sep 30  Middle Tennessee  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(115)  Sat, Oct 07  Florida International  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(107)  Sat, Oct 21  Arkansas State  at Jonesboro, Arkansas    6 p.m.   

(101) Sat, Oct 28  Troy  at Troy, Alabama    6 p.m.   

(93)  Sat, Nov 04  Louisiana Tech  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(103)  Sat, Nov 11  Louisiana-Lafayette  at Lafayette, Louisiana    4 p.m.   

(118)  Sat, Nov 18  Florida Atlantic  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(106) Sat, Nov 25  Louisiana-Monroe  at Monroe, Louisiana    6 p.m.

But I think we must have different ideas of big-time win, SMU was a "must win" not a big-time win in my book.

Good point. We should win all of these, and maybe we will. I was hard on DD since UT, but have backed off a bit pending future performances. Right now, we seem to back on track somewhat. But, you are only as good as your last win DD!

One observation: I see the amount of stock most everyone puts in Woody Wilson, including myself. I sure hope he stays injury free for the rest of the season (and the next 2 years). My biggest fear is that he is tall (6" 1') and small (relatively speaking, 180 lbs) and is going to get blasted occasionally when running through the defense. We could be back to a bland offensive if he ever gets injured.

As I said in the during game chat: I really hope that DD suceeds, and makes some yall eat crow.  That man can't win with some of you; he secures a bigtime win for the program and yall are trying to figure out how DD and RF didn't contribute to the win.

Well, SMUt was a nice win, a needed win, but lets see how they and NT finish the season before we go extending coaching contracts (again). dry.gif

(74)  Sat, Sep 16   Tulsa  at Tulsa, Oklahoma    6 p.m.   

(46)  Sat, Sep 23   Akron  at Akron, Ohio    5 p.m.   

(105)  Sat, Sep 30   Middle Tennessee  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(115)  Sat, Oct 07   Florida International  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(107)  Sat, Oct 21   Arkansas State  at Jonesboro, Arkansas    6 p.m.   

(101) Sat, Oct 28   Troy  at Troy, Alabama    6 p.m.   

(93)  Sat, Nov 04   Louisiana Tech  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(103)  Sat, Nov 11   Louisiana-Lafayette  at Lafayette, Louisiana    4 p.m.   

(118)  Sat, Nov 18   Florida Atlantic  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(106) Sat, Nov 25   Louisiana-Monroe  at Monroe, Louisiana    6 p.m.

As you have posted, it's a very long season. KingDL1. Sadly for the 'Stangs, SMU is merely a facsimile of the SMU many of us knew from the Fry era when he was (in fact) coach over at Mockingbird Lane, Dallas, Texas, all the way up to the Pony Express era. Not sure why it's taking them so long to turn it around, quite frankly.

I think it could be said (and agreed by many who still have unbias as part of their personna ) that had last Saturday's game results been turned around, that GoMeanGreen.com would have many similar down-trodden-type posts (probably more) as the SMU posters over at PonyFans.com have been posting the last 48 or so hours.

The DMN coveage with their theme of this being SMU's worst loss in their entire football history was quite interesting, too, and cannot make anyone from UNT feel too chipper; or like Troy U fans must have felt after their well fought game with the #9 ranked Florida Sate U Seminoles? Some on this board may also need to be reminded of their posts of recent weeks and months with all the ultimatums they were making toward DD inasmuch as their posts were saying that he "HAD" to win the SMU game (or else)? rolleyes.gif

Interesting that NT "spin-masters" are promoting DD with all this "40'th win being the same number of wins that Hayden Fry had at NT" angle; YET............not listing the number of years Fry got his 40 wins or comparing the number of losses that each coach had at the time they both reached their magic "40" win milestone. rolleyes.gif

Yet..............it is anyone's right to be a fickle fan oscillating their emotions from one week to the next based on a win (or a loss). In the long run, though, won't it still all be about how far up the final NCAA D1-A ranking's totem pole that our school's football team finishes? Hopefully most NT Exes feel we deserve to be much higher than those final rankings of years past and what the win over SMU seems to have given us, too. unsure.gif

Nirvana for many of us for the NT football program? Win the SBC, beat the CUSA rep in the NO's Bowl and then.............much like the WAC and MAC football champions of late, just simpley be ranked well inside the Top 30 at season's end which would tell us that (finally) the regional and national college football sports media are noticing what MG football is doing is different than what they have been used to seeing with our football program. So FWIW..............where else should be the destination for Mean Green football among the rest of NCAA D1-A if not something very similar to the aforementioned? Many would probably even be open-minded enough to listen as to what that could possibly be. I know I would...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

As you have posted, it's a very long season. KingDL1.  Sadly for the 'Stangs,  SMU is merely a  facsimile of the SMU many of us knew from the Fry era when he was (in fact) coach over at Mockingbird Lane, Dallas, Texas, all the way up to the Pony Express era.  Not sure why it's taking them so long to turn it around, quite frankly.

I think it could be said (and agreed by many who still have unbias as part of their personna ) that had last Saturday's game results been turned around, that GoMeanGreen.com would have many similar down-trodden-type posts (probably more) as the SMU posters over at  PonyFans.com have been posting the last 48 or so hours. 

The DMN coveage with their theme of this being SMU's worst loss in their entire football history was quite interesting, too, and cannot make anyone from UNT feel too chipper; or like Troy U fans must have felt after their well fought game with the #9 ranked Florida Sate U Seminoles?  Some on this board may also need to be reminded of their posts of recent weeks and months with all the ultimatums they were making toward DD inasmuch as their posts were saying that he "HAD" to win the SMU game (or else)? rolleyes.gif 

Interesting that NT "spin-masters" are promoting DD with all this  "40'th win being the same number of wins that Hayden Fry had at NT" angle; YET............not listing the number of years Fry got his 40 wins or comparing the number of losses that each coach had at the time they both reached their magic "40" win milestone. rolleyes.gif

Yet..............it is anyone's right to be a fickle fan oscillating their emotions from one week to the next based on a win (or a loss).  In the long run, though, won't it still be about how far up the final NCAA D1-A rankings totem pole that our school is?  Hopefully most NT Exes feel we deserve to be much higher than what the win over SMU seems to have given us, too. unsure.gif   

Nirvana for many of us for the NT football program?  Win the SBC, beat the CUSA rep in the NO's Bowl and then.............much like the WAC and MAC football champions of late, just simpley be ranked well inside the Top 30 at season's end which would tell us that (finally) the regional and national college football sports media are noticing what MG football is doing is different than what they have been used to seeing with our football program.  So FWIW..............where else should be the destination for Mean Green football among the rest of NCAA D1-A if not the aforementioned?  Many would even be open-minded enough to listen as to what that could be.

It's all doom and gloom, right?user posted imageuser posted image

The only thing standing in the way is the CUSA champion and the MAC champion. I really hope we win these two, but I realize they will be fights. If they are not fights, that's when I see a problem.

All is well it seems, but the o-line is a HUGE problem people. Serious work is needed there. The o-line scares me to death because bad o-line play can cost you what would normally be easy victories sometimes.

I say this because players like J-Mo, Woody, and Quinn can make plays that cover up o-line problems, but sometimes lesser teams can expose bad o-lines and make it hard for the stars to shine.

It's all doom and gloom, right?user posted imageuser posted image

No, MG61, its merely looking at trends of which most businesses who are successful use to base much of their futures and future plans on.

What part of what I have posted is not true, MG61? For those who agree with what I have posted, are they also doom and gloom, too? Maybe they, too, have just seen enough in 9 years that tells them what they can expect to see in the next, uh, 9? rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but SMU is not a good football team this Fall and I just think our alma mater deserves more than its present leaders have shown they can give us (and this at a much higher profile that Fry's "40" wins and far less losses seemed to have given our program).

And after all, didn't you post just the other day about some NT Top 20 rankings by the Mean Green during the mid-1970's? MG61, surely you are not suggesting that we are not worthy of that level or co-existance ever again so lets just keep the status quo' and just keep on enjoying life as an NCAA D1-A scavenger fish? And do we just keep on giving out those contract extensions to the NCAA D1-A's version of Green Acres Retirement Center For the Not So Successful, Under .500 W/L Career Coaches & Can't Get Higher Profile Jobs Anywhere Else types?

One alum just called and said how the official board last week or so had a blurb on the winningest volleyball coach in UNT history but after his doing some research found she had 80 something wins but with, uh........ 114 losses? Good grief, folks, what are you smoking that has you drawn into all this? Could these people on our NT payroll sell you a pile of donkey dung and make you feel all warm and bubbly about that, too? blink.gifohmy.gifsad.gifwink.gif

And didn't some of our on-campus spin fellas' have some of you believin' that the SMU game was all but a pre-Game Day sellout? Yet while looking at photos of both sides (with so very few in the endzones) were there even 20,000 in attendance for the SMU game? Some of you posted saying you thought there "might" have been 21K or 22K as I recall your posts. So can anyone really talk or joke about the SMU attendance counter any longer? sad.gif

WE CAN DO BETTER BECAUSE WE HAVE DONE BETTER (and at a much higher profile).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

(74)  Sat, Sep 16  Tulsa  at Tulsa, Oklahoma    6 p.m.   

(46)  Sat, Sep 23  Akron  at Akron, Ohio    5 p.m.   

(105)  Sat, Sep 30  Middle Tennessee  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(115)  Sat, Oct 07  Florida International  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(107)  Sat, Oct 21  Arkansas State  at Jonesboro, Arkansas    6 p.m.   

(101) Sat, Oct 28  Troy  at Troy, Alabama    6 p.m.   

(93)  Sat, Nov 04  Louisiana Tech  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(103)  Sat, Nov 11  Louisiana-Lafayette  at Lafayette, Louisiana    4 p.m.   

(118)  Sat, Nov 18  Florida Atlantic  Denton, Texas    6 p.m.   

(106) Sat, Nov 25  Louisiana-Monroe  at Monroe, Louisiana    6 p.m.

Yeah, i remember thinking this too.

in 2003 & 2004