I feel good vs. SMU

emmitt01

I know it would be easier to come on here after a looooong drive home and slam DD because we lost by a large margin. It would be easy to slam the play calling and say that Dickey wasn't creative enough.

I'd be lying if I did either though. We threw the ball in this game and not just when it was a desperation heave. We took shots downfield and were oh so close to connecting on them. I saw a defense that blitzed (how someone didn't see that I'm not sure), ran hard to the ball and didn't back down. Yes, there were missed tackles. Yes, they wore down late. Tackling is correctable and NOBODY that we face for the rest of the year will have UT's size across the line or their pedigree at the skill positions. And if you think we didn't look waaay better this year than last time you're insane.

I'd like to be the first, hopefully not the last, to say "good job" to coach Dickey. He may do something to draw my ire later in the season but he called a game plan that wasn't the same "roll over and collect the check" strategy I've seen before. Let's face it folks, Texas' speed and physicality will make a lot of teams look bad when they blitz or blow up plays.

In my mind, bottom line is that our boys have nothing to hang their heads over and, if we play like we did today, SMU has got a fight on their hands!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it would be easier to come on here after a looooong drive home and slam DD because we lost by a large margin.  It would be easy to slam the play calling and say that Dickey wasn't creative enough. 

I'd be lying if I did either though.  We threw the ball in this game and not just when it was a desperation heave.  We took shots downfield and were oh so close to connecting on them.  I saw a defense that blitzed (how someone didn't see that I'm not sure), ran hard to the ball and didn't back down.  Yes, there were missed tackles.  Yes, they wore down late.  Tackling is correctable and NOBODY that we face for the rest of the year will have UT's size across the line or their pedigree at the skill positions.  And if you think we didn't look waaay better this year than last time you're insane. 

I'd like to be the first, hopefully not the last, to say "good job" to coach Dickey.  He may do something to draw my ire later in the season but he called a game plan that wasn't the same "roll over and collect the check" strategy I've seen before.  Let's face it folks, Texas' speed and physicality will make a lot of teams look bad when they blitz or blow up plays. 

In my mind, bottom line is that our boys have nothing to hang their heads over and, if we play like we did today, SMU has got a fight on their hands!

You have got to be kidding me. We have the worst loss in the nation today. I don't know what you are looking for but that is pathetic. You have to set your goals higher than where it is right now. We got beat in every aspect of the game, period. There is nothing to hold your head high about. We will lose to SMU by 21.

Edited by noname

You have got to be kidding me.  We have the worst loss in the nation today.  I don't know what you are looking for but that is pathetic.  You have to set your goals higher than where it is right now.  We got beat in every aspect of the game, period.  There is nothing to hold your head high about.  We will lose to SMU by 21.

I'll take your handle to reflect not only your level of confidence in what you say but also your competency to analyze college football.

We did get whipped pretty good, but this is TEXAS! After what I saw from them, the Texas/OU game might be just as ugly.

SMUT could not mount anything against Tech's spectacular D, so I think we have a decent chance, with the right gameplan.

I haven't seen SMU play before, but I feel good about our chances against SMU at home just based on the limited knowledge of SMU's previous (and today's) performances. I completely withdraw this statement if DD continues the QB competition in this game. Woody Wilson made as big a statement as a QB could in a blowout game against the national champs as well as the best college team money can buy (air conditioned vests! for crying out loud!). Woody was no doubt the most athletic and better QB today. I don't know how Meager could even be considered in the SMU game. I fear DD loyalty to Meager could get in the way though. LET'S WHIP SMU!

I sure hope you're right when you say that poor tackling is correctable. Several of our DB's/LB's looked like they were scared to try and put a lick on someone. That 24 yard TD by Sweed was pitiful. Warren showed the aggression of a timid high schooler on that play. I don't care if we're playing Texas or Texas Lutheran, we need to go out there and show more of a competitive fire on defense. That being said, I do think that we are going to be a much better team this year. I think our lines are going to hold up well against lesser competition, and that our LB's and young DB's will get it together over the next couple of games. I also think that we have A LOT of talent on offense, and I just hope that our coaching staff can find a way to utilize it. By the way, why isn't DD giving Mitchell a chance at RB? I know Robertson is fast, but is a 150 lb backup to Jamario really what we need right now? Mitchell proved that he has some talent against Arky State last year, and I would like to at least see him get a chance to interview for the job.

I would like to second everything Emmit had to say.

For those who know anything about college football, and watched the game today, not just looked at the box score, Dickey and the team played well against a superior team.

I thought this could have been the best game plan we have ever had in the Dickey era against a big team. We threw 2 of the forst three plays, and the game was called aggressively the whole way.

I did come out of this game feeling a whole lot better about a couple things...

Mid way through the 3rd quarter we are down 28-7, after an 80 yd scoring drive, and had Texas lined up to pnt but they faked it and got a first down. I was thinking right there if we were to somehow score and make it 28-14 that would be huge.

Next, Woody Wilson is our starter, rotation should be gone

Next, defensively, even though we gave up 56 pts to a superior team, we have improved GREATLY. The secondary played well knocking down several passes, and only giving up 1 big play. The one to Sweed 2nd play of the game. The rest of the day we kept the ball in front of us for the most part.

Next, we played the run fairly well considering we went up against the best OL in the nation.

Guys the NT football team has nothing to be ashamed of, and I think we have BIG things to look forward to this season.

This is not GREEN GLASSES talk, we might have something here.

FWIW and IMHO, I think UNT will probably beat SMU this next Saturday night, but at the end of this football season I still don't think a DD-led football program finishes any higher than #90 among all the other 116 schools in NCAA D1-A. If these kind of SBC/Bottom 10 successes are what floats some of your boats, then yall go ahead and enjoy the next 10 years of DD Ball and read about how many NCAA D1-AA schools are much better than most in the SBC.

UNT alums and MG fans need to start telling, writing and emailing UNT leaders as to what kind of NCAA D1-A football program they really want to have back in Denton once again.

If we were to even win the SBC this Fall, go back to the Big Easy, get beat by the #3 or #4 CUSA team and still finish in the Bottom Quadrant of NCAA D1-A in the seasons final rankings, wouldn't that all just be more of the same; or as they say---- same song different verse? If that does it for you--good for you, but it won't for many.

We can do much better because we have before (against schools even your grandfathers have all heard of, too). Why should we settle for less is the question of many more alums.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You are correct in your analysis in that we should demand more from our football program: NO DOUBT. However, we can demand more while at the same time analyze our chances to succeed or fail this year. These are not mutually exclusive. I think our future success will rely on re-energizing local smack downs (like the SMU game), where we can sell out our stadiums and generate more $$$$. After all, this is what it often boils down too.... recruiting budgets, new stadiums, state of the art everything... etc. sad fact, but true.

FWIW and IMHO, I think UNT will probably beat SMU this next Saturday night, but at the end of this football season I still don't think a DD-led football program finishes any higher than #90 among all the other 116 schools in NCAA D1-A.  If these kind of SBC/Bottom 10 successes are what floats some of your boats, then yall go ahead and enjoy the next 10 years of DD Ball and read about how many NCAA D1-AA schools are much better than most in the SBC.

UNT alums and MG fans need to start telling, writing and emailing UNT leaders as to what kind of NCAA D1-A football program they really want to have back in Denton once again. 

If we were to even win the SBC this Fall, go back to the Big Easy, get beat by the #3 or #4 CUSA team and still finish in the Bottom Quadrant of NCAA D1-A in the  seasons final rankings, wouldn't that all just be more of the same;  or as they say---- same song different verse?  If that does it for you--good for you, but it won't for many.

We can do much better because we have before (against schools even your grandfathers have all heard of, too).  Why should we settle for less is the question of many more alums.

I think once our new President gets settled in, she will force some changes.

Wow. I guess I am too much of an optimist. I was very encouraged with our D considering we were playing probably the best team in the nation. Dont forget when we start playing SMU, Akron, Sunbelt that they will look like small snails compaired to UT. Remember teh 65-0 beating we took and then we went bowling, and this UT team is probably better than that one.

Also the QB play looked better than last year, and that was even while playing UT.

Edited by 0footballfan0

I sure hope you're right when you say that poor tackling is correctable. Several of our DB's/LB's looked like they were scared to try and put a lick on someone. That 24 yard TD by Sweed was pitiful. Warren showed the aggression of a timid high schooler on that play. I don't care if we're playing Texas or Texas Lutheran, we need to go out there and show more of a competitive fire on defense. That being said, I do think that we are going to be a much better team this year. I think our lines are going to hold up well against lesser competition, and that our LB's and young DB's will get it together over the next couple of games. I also think that we have A LOT of talent on offense, and I just hope that our coaching staff can find a way to utilize it. By the way, why isn't DD giving Mitchell a chance at RB? I know Robertson is fast, but is a 150 lb backup to Jamario really what we need right now? Mitchell proved that he has some talent against Arky State last year, and I would like to at least see him get a chance to interview for the job.

Totally agree on Mitchell! He looked great last year.... I would also think running Robertson to the outside would also help as running up the middle with him is not going to work well.

---This team was "all-world" when you compare it to the 65-0 game two years ago... We did have some bright spots today ... there were none in that one.

I think when comparing that game keep in mind we just lost Andrew. That said.

With Tech stomping the hell out of SMU today, I don't see why we can't kick the ever living sh!t out of SMU next week.

Bright spots were there, you just had to be educated about the history of UNT ball and you could see them shine. Granted the line and numbers looked sad, but the D played strong all day (rather than one half) Obviously DD did make adjustments at half or we wouldn't have come out and immediately driven 80 earned yards with no yards gained on penalties, for a touchdown against one of the best defences in the country.

I kept wondering why DD with his "run first" mentality didn't try to get Jamario (I like to call him "Jammer") going earlier in the game. Dispite our pleas for more passing -- we passed the most in 4 years last year and it got us to 2 wins... We are a running team and the run opens up the pass - and specifically the play action pass. In the past he would have JUST run. Now we need to see the run established to open up the pass. We have proof based on this game that Flannigan will call passes, so we can see some stretching of the defences this year.

D line - better than last year

O line - not bad but still needs more time to gel into a unit

Corners -both are young. They hung with the UT speedsters and will get better

QB - I don't know what DM has, but DD needs stick with WW. He is more mobile if/when the line breaks down and as we saw yesterday, he can throw accurately on the run.

RB - Jammer can flat out fly and is best starting to the inside and bouncing outside. He needs to be backed up by Mitchell.

WR - Quinn was obviously hampered by the cast thing.... Brandon did a great job on the opposite side. We are solid here.

Overall we are pretty solid and IMHO I believe that we have a decent season to look forward to. We need to build up and support the players on this squad... and ripping their coaching staff is not a morale builder.

For those who know anything about college football, and watched the game today, not just looked at the box score, Dickey and the team played well against a superior team.

I agree 100%. I am VERY excited to see the game next week!

Plumm - While I agree with your complaints of the overall program - and I would SERIOUSLY like to see an organized effort to begin to push OUR agenda at the University - I think, as fans, we have two fronts to battle. The long term battle, and the short term. This team isn't going to become top 25 overnight. I am very happy with any improvement, and after last year, a return to our ways of the past few years is the first step. We have to get back to where we were in 2002 - 2004 before we can go further.

You have got to be kidding me.  We have the worst loss in the nation today.  I don't know what you are looking for but that is pathetic.  You have to set your goals higher than where it is right now.  We got beat in every aspect of the game, period.  There is nothing to hold your head high about.  We will lose to SMU by 21.

Sorry, my friend, I was at the Duke game...they lost to RICHMOND! Would that not be considered the worst game of the day??????? An ACC team losing to an unranked (I believe) IAA team?????

It actually was not as bad as in years past...

That 24 yard TD by Sweed was pitiful.

So your point is that our redshirt freshman can't cover NFL quality receivers? DD indicated that our defensive backfield was very young, it looks like they all learned some lessons about passing yestreday. I doubt SMU's quarterback will be as talented next Saturday.

Yes, the box score isn't that good. Now we are going to prepare fora team that would got beat pretty bad yesterday (by a team that will be owned by UT).

Lets see what our d-line can do when they aren't trying to get around folks that were considered first round draft picks last year. Yeah, Blalock would have been a frst rounder last year.

We are going to give SMU one helluva fight; and I can't wait.

Sorry, my friend, I was at the Duke game...they lost to RICHMOND!  Would that not be considered the worst game of the day???????  An ACC team losing to an unranked (I believe) IAA team?????

You're thinking of Colorado losing to Montana St. That is the worst and most embarrassing loss yesterday. Wow, can you believe this school was a B12 powerhouse just a few years ago?????

ohmy.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

Sorry, my friend, I was at the Duke game...they lost to RICHMOND!  Would that not be considered the worst game of the day???????  An ACC team losing to an unranked (I believe) IAA team?????

Colorado lost to Montana St. and New Mexico lost to Portland St., both at home.

I won't accept a 56-7 loss as anything other than an embarrassment. UT was National Champs last year, there is no Vince Young on this year's team, they were QBs with NO college experience. Kiss DD's rear if you want but name another program with a 38-56 record that loses 56-7 and it's coach is not pink-slipped? mad.gif

I know it would be easier to come on here after a looooong drive home and slam DD because we lost by a large margin.  It would be easy to slam the play calling and say that Dickey wasn't creative enough. 

I'd be lying if I did either though.  We threw the ball in this game and not just when it was a desperation heave.  We took shots downfield and were oh so close to connecting on them.  I saw a defense that blitzed (how someone didn't see that I'm not sure), ran hard to the ball and didn't back down.  Yes, there were missed tackles.  Yes, they wore down late.  Tackling is correctable and NOBODY that we face for the rest of the year will have UT's size across the line or their pedigree at the skill positions.  And if you think we didn't look waaay better this year than last time you're insane. 

I'd like to be the first, hopefully not the last, to say "good job" to coach Dickey.  He may do something to draw my ire later in the season but he called a game plan that wasn't the same "roll over and collect the check" strategy I've seen before.  Let's face it folks, Texas' speed and physicality will make a lot of teams look bad when they blitz or blow up plays. 

Amen to your thoughts and comments Emmitt!

FWIW and IMHO, I think UNT will probably beat SMU this next Saturday night, but at the end of this football season I still don't think a DD-led football program finishes any higher than #90 among all the other 116 schools in NCAA D1-A.  If these kind of SBC/Bottom 10 successes are what floats some of your boats, then yall go ahead and enjoy the next 10 years of DD Ball and read about how many NCAA D1-AA schools are much better than most in the SBC.

If we were to even win the SBC this Fall, go back to the Big Easy, get beat by the #3 or #4 CUSA team and still finish in the Bottom Quadrant of NCAA D1-A in the  seasons final rankings, wouldn't that all just be more of the same;  or as they say---- same song different verse?  If that does it for you--good for you, but it won't for many.

We can do much better because we have before (against schools even your grandfathers have all heard of, too).  Why should we settle for less is the question of many more alums.

While telling, writing, and talking they better be sending $$$$$$.