DRC posted 10:55 PM Monday, full article

OldTimer

but our recruiting efforts of late have been such that they just don't have enough quality surrounding them for us to be competitive against the defending national champions. 

How can you rate our current classes when most of those kids haven't been on the field yet. If you look at the current, or last few issues, DCTF you will notice that most of NT's recruiting classes have been poorly rated at the time the class was signed, but turned out to be pretty good classes once the kids matured.

I agree with most of your post, but I just can't see criticizing a class before they hit the field. Are our classes of the caliber that we will challenge for the BcS Championship in 4 years? Probably not, but they aren't going to until we move up in conference, build a new stadium, see some support of the program as a whole from the administration, and increase season ticket sales and MG Club members.

Sorry, one more comment:  Responding to that that I put in bold type of your post, MGE, and I respond to that part of your post by saying.....

THEN WHAT THE HELL WE WATIING FOR?  ARMAGEDDON?

You are crazier than I thought if you think Dickey is going to be fired for one terrible season after three very good, especially for NT's recent history, seasons.

If, and I have to admit in my mind this is very possible, Dickey has another 2 or 3 win season? Then I bet Rick would be very open to an alumni group coming forth with Dickeys salary buyout. Otherwise, we are going to have to eat another few years off the contract, becasue we can't afford to both pay for the buyout and pay a new coach.

I'll believe DD and company are ready to win OOC games when he shows a winning attitude and not the bow down and kiss Mack Brown's shadow at the stadium. He did not show it last year against Tulsa, La. Tech, or LSU. He did not show it against USM, UT, and Baylor the year before. This is a trend that will continue until he proves it on the field. It is obvious the players want to win, but if the Field General and his side-kicks don't allow them to win then we are stuck. dry.gif

Edited by untbowler

Out-recruiting.  That's a funny word.  You are refering to the art of finding kids who will take their game to the next level.  Take a minute and read the last 4 DCTF, and see where our graduating classes are ranked.  I'll give you a hint, they are very competitively ranked within the state of Texas.  I can only assume that you are pissed becuase we aren't recruiting the kids who are ranked in the DMN Top 100; which is a Rivals product.  And in case you are neew to college football, I'll explain: those rankings are biased towards kids have any interest expressed in them by BCS schools.  Very often those relative rankings have nothing to do with talent.  Want proof, check out how kids rankings have changed as they commit to UT.

If you bother to look at the DCTF recruiting ratings you will see it is based on how well the recruits do based on their competition. Factors such as all conference selections and conference championships are the main criteria. It is a great leap in logic to use these ratings to directly compare the classes of the other Texas schools with NT.

Some like to ignore the various recruiting ratings even though most of NT recent success was based on the 2001 class that included 6 or 7 state 100 players. IMO to have a successful program NT is going to have to start to recruit at least on a par with the non-big 12 schools in Texas. Facts are that NT is at the very bottom of the recruiting chain in Texas and that has to change. IMO that change has to start with a coach that believes in the school and doesn't wait until two months before the signing date to start recruiting in earnest.

Kill us in respect to what?  Our actually being competitive in a UT/UNT game or keeping the Horns under 100? wink.gif

great attitude. Cant blame you too much though, havent been shown anything over the past 8 years to suggest otherwise.

Yes, having problems getting the ball from C to QB with a team that has one of the quickest, most athletic D-lines in the nation will represent a problem, and is probably good for at least one turnover.

The fact people are even questioning whether we should "try to win" this game is insulting to our players.

IMO that change has to start with a coach that believes in the school and doesn't wait until two months before the signing date to start recruiting in earnest

Yeah, I have never understood this philosophy, assuming this in fact DD's method. The left over method is great for 1AA teams, and we have had some success, but at some point you have to go after the guys you want now, show everyone you are serious about being a top 25 contender. Show them that you believe in the program. Anyways, this is the same tired beating of a dead horse I have done all year. sorry! There is more talent out there than ever before. Parity is a wonderful thing for schools like NT

Edited by Eagle1855

Take the money and run on this one (and then tweek the staff & raise our recruiting standards to how they used to be before we suddenly starting majoring in Inferiority Complex 101 in Recruiting Those Other Than Projects again with this football program.  Back in the day, when we thought we could----we did. sad.gif

Plumm - I think that's the funniest thing I've ever seen you post! Maybe it's because I couldn't agree with you more.

Just look at what the suggestion of Bomar's consideration of attending UNT accomplished. Outside of football season, I can't recall the Dallas media mentioning North Texas more times in a single week...well, maybe when that professor was murdered.

High school football players consume media too. Knowing that a top recruit, former teammate/opponent is considering or verbally committed to UNT, may entice other top HS recruits to at least consider UNT also. What a concept!!!

Some like to ignore the various recruiting ratings even though most of NT recent success was based on the 2001 class that included 6 or 7 state 100 players.  IMO to have a successful program NT is going to have to start to recruit at least on a par with the non-big 12 schools in Texas.  Facts are that NT is at the very bottom of the recruiting chain in Texas and that has to change.  IMO that change has to start with a coach that believes in the school and doesn't wait until two months before the signing date to start recruiting in earnest.

Good stuff GrandGreen. We get 6-7 state 100 players and within a couple of years we have our best teams and SBC championships. Yet, we still believe in stealth recruiting and have been lazily recruiting the past couple of years. Or so it seems.