Addressing the issues

I apologize for not responding earlier to some topics but my password was not working and Harry was on vacation. I want to at least give you accurate info on a few subjects that have been topics on the board lately.

Before I start however I want to apologize for not keeping the lines of communication more open. I did so early on but with the amount of activity we have had to handle ovr the last 18 months I have been remiss in this area. I will resume my communication on a regular basis. Moving on:

1.) Texas Bowl - the new Texas Bowl applied for approval in June of this year and were approved listing four conferences for tie-ins: the Big XII, CUSA, the MWC and the Big East. (See article on the Big XII site.) From e-mails and coversations the conferences were chosen for these reasons. The Big XII and CUSA created the financial solvency required to keep the bowl alive. The Big East and the MWC were chosen as alternatives in the event the other two conferences did not have enough qualifying teams to fill the spots and the national prominence of those two conerences. The major reason that the Sun Belt and therefore North Texas were not considered is that in only two years of the last five have we had enough qualiying teams to fill more than one bowl. In 2001 if the New Orleans Bowl had not made it possible for North Texas to go with a losing record than it would have been only one year. In addition we have not traveled as well as other bowl conferences have. I have been aware of this bowl and the make-up since June as I was at the meeting and think it's important to note that even today the whole situation with tha bowl is not settled or confirmed. The one thing everyone has missed here is that we do have access (though admittedly limited) in the event that the conferences that do end up being connected to the bowl cannot fill their spots. All we have to do is be bowl eligible with a 7-4 or better record and not be the champion of the Sun Belt. How do we insure that would be an attractive choice?

2.) Conference affiliation - continuing to beat down the Sun Belt does nothing but beat down North Texas. No one understands more than I do what an affiliation with a conference like CUSA would do for this university because of our location. The rivalries, the ability to travel, etc. all make sense. Commissioner Waters and I have talked about this before. However entrance into another conference is possible one way and one way only. That is when there is an opening. Memphis didn't get into the Big East when Louisville did because there were a limited number of spots. So until the time comes that a good option comes along we must continue to enhance the Sun Belt make ourselves a player in future realignment by enhancing budgets, facilities and competitiveness in our current conference and in OCC. How else do we become more attractive?

3.) Facilitiy growth-A new football stadium and a baseball stadium and program have always been integral parts of my vision for the future of this institution. Eleven new facilities later they are even more important. We have continued to cultivate these areas and made good progress. The fact that we have not been public with those dealings does not mean that these projects are not moving forward. However to expect that any program or anyone could in five years could complete all the changes that were needed at North Texas and bring it to the level of schools who have been committed to athletics for decades comes is just unrealistic. How do we get these last two essential pieces?

Well you want leadership and I'm going to give to you. I apologize for nothing we've done over the last five years as we have made great strides in every area of the program. Our student-athletes and coaches are much better off today and our fans and alums now enjoy many of the aspects of the program not available just a few years ago (tailgating, video boards, available merchandise, a recognizable brand and national recognition, etc.) But that is in the past and I must look to the future. I understand your frustration in some areas because I share some of those same concerns. We must now be at the top in the Sun Belt across the board and be competitive and beat out of conference and regional opponents in every sport. We must now recruit the very best athletes especially in this area even though we may not get some in the end. Our coaches must exude a positive outlook as we now have a good situation and we must sell it. Nothing less can or will be accepted. I know that tennis and swimming are not important to most of you but those last two hires should speak volumes of what we now expect in all of our coaches. People who expect to win, people who recruit outstanding athletes and people who expect to be a nationally competitive and ranked program. Although they come from a Big 10 and Pac 10 program, they feel they are now in a better situation and have facilities and support systems that will allow them to field nationally competitive athletes and programs. And they go out and sell it every day. Be assured that every coach must now approach it that way as most of the deficiencies that once hindered their efforts no longer exist. If they choose not to approach it that way then they can't fit into the future of this program

So how do I answer the questions I left above. Like it or not most of it is up to our fans and alums. The Mean Green nation must quit complaining and whining about everything from conference affiliation to coaching preferences. Until everyone of you buys season tickets and fills the stands, contributes to the program and creates the same positive attitude we want from our coaches and administrators we will continue to give others reason to tear us down. We must travel in larger numbers to the next bowl game to show our strength and entice other bowls to consider us when openings occur. We have to galvanize our efforts and not allow the excuse that I'll get involved or attend when everything is fixed. If we do then the mission becomes much tougher. No program is successful in every area, every year and not every coach is going to be popular with every fan. The successful programs that don't have hundred year traditions (see Va Tech, Fla. State, Kansas St.) began to succeed when fans alums were challenged to support and responded. Well our hole was much deeper as those schools were never 1-AA and never allowed to flounder as we have. The challenge is much greater but achieveable. Do not lose sight of the progress that has been made over the last five years and know from those successes that the rest is possible. I have fought for five years to change things for the better and will continue to do so. Those fights have not and may not in the future be seen on a public level. We will fight those fights that need to be fought publicly, but also use good judgement in matters that affect our future opportunities.

Now I know this message will spur detractors but it will not detour me in any way. I am committed more than ever and will hold all entities of the athletic department accountable to stepping up to the level we must attain. I don't ask each of you to always agree with me but I challenge each of you to agree to support the progress of this program. As always for those of you already doing so, we appreciate your support and keep the faith.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Well you want leadership and I'm going to give to you. I apologize for nothing we've done over the last five years as we have made great strides in every area of the program.

Be assured that every coach must now approach it that way as most of the deficiencies that once hindered their efforts no longer exist. If they choose not to approach it that way then they can't fit into the future of this program

Like it or not most of it is up to our fans and alums. The Mean Green nation must quit complaining and whining about everything from conference affiliation to coaching preferences.

Do not lose sight of the progress that has been made over the last five years and know from those successes that the rest is possible. I have fought for five years to change things for the better and will continue to do so.

Wow!! Right on R.V.!! We all thank you for posting. I love your attitude, as you have done so much for the NT program. Your post shows that you do listen/read to those in the Mean Green Nation. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for taking the time out to address the fans. This is an aspect of the program where I feel quite spoiled, as I know that other ADs do not choose to address the masses so openly or frequently.

Thank you for the job you are doing.

[PS: could you address how the plans for a baseball team and baseball facility are coming along?]

Edited by good_ken

The build up of facilities has been impressive, but when can we expect to hear about progress in fundraising for the football stadium? What is the latest in the situation concerning a baseball team and stadium? As you know, these two issues are some of the largest holding UNT back from moving up the conference food chain. Thanks.

Edited by e-bone ver2.awesome

The build up of facilities has been impressive, but when can we expect to hear about progress in fundraising for the football stadium? What is the latest in the situation concerning a baseball team and stadium? As you know, these two issues are some of the largest holding UNT back from moving up the conference food chain. Thanks.

I promise that I will keep everyone updated on our progess with these two areas but right now there are many loose ends that must be tied up before any public statements can be issued. I know some will say that's just another way of saying no progress but I assure you it is not. Nothing will please me more than the time when some announcements can be made.

Also understand that neither of those has been a deterrent to conference membership for other schools and will not be the deciding factor for us. Never the less they can enhance our program and bring the additional benefit of bigger visiting schools. I understand they are very important.

I promise that I will keep everyone updated on our progess with these two areas but right now there are many loose ends that must be tied up before any public staements can be issued. I know some will say that's just another way of saying no progress but I assure you it is not. Nothing will please me more than the time when some announcements can be made.

Thanks. I appreciate the 1:00 in the morning chat with our athletic director.

Can you speak to how ticket sales (or projections) for the SMU game are going?

Or hell, feel free to speak about our depth at linebacker as related to our switch to the 3-4 and how that will or won't create match-up situations for us this season. wink.gif

Thanks.  I appreciate the 1:00 in the morning chat with our athletic director.

Can you speak to how ticket sales (or projections) for the SMU game are going?

Or hell, feel free to speak about our depth at linebacker as related to our switch to the 3-4 and how that will or won't create match-up situations for us this season.  wink.gif

Ticket sales are good, although I'm not sure how the ponies are doing with tickets. More room for green but we gotta get em out.

Rick, I think you have done a hell of a job and probably more than most of us know especially with the attitudes that are present in our University. I was very impressed at your support at the GMG Bowl, thanks again.

My biggest question for you is; are you planning to have your quarterly meetings ever again? I was looking forward to going! If I am out of the loop and missed one lately please forgive me.

Tony

Thanks for posting and also for being truthful about our current projects. Wish we could hear more from ya, feel free to post or reply to any comments on the board. i truly believe you are the best AD this university has ever had. As well as Dr. Pohl being a great leader and friend of the athletics program, he will be missed

Dont worry we will have Fouts filled with green in September.

Thanks for posting and also for being truthful about our current projects. Wish we could hear more from ya, feel free to post or reply to any comments on the board.  i truly believe you are the best AD this university has ever had. As well as Dr. Pohl being a great leader and friend of the athletics program, he will be missed

Dont worry we will have Fouts filled with green in September.

Ditto!

Rick

1.) Texas Bowl -  All we have to do is be bowl eligible with a 7-4 or better record and not be the champion of the Sun Belt. How do we insure that would be an attractive choice?

2.) Conference affiliation - (U)ntil the time comes that a good option comes along we must continue to enhance the Sun Belt make ourselves a player in future realignment by enhancing budgets, facilities and competitiveness in our current conference and in OCC. How else do we become more attractive?

3.) Facilitiy growth-A new football stadium and a baseball stadium and program have always been integral parts of my vision for the future of this institution.  How do we get these last two essential pieces?

We must now be at the top in the Sun Belt across the board and be competitive and beat out of conference and regional opponents in every sport.

So how do I answer the questions I left above. Like it or not most of it is up to our fans and alums. The Mean Green nation must quit complaining and whining about everything from conference affiliation to coaching preferences. Until everyone of you buys season tickets and fills the stands, contributes to the program and creates the same positive attitude we want from our coaches and administrators we will continue to give others reason to tear us down. We must travel in larger numbers to the next bowl game to show our strength and entice other bowls to consider us when openings occur. We have to galvanize our efforts and not allow the excuse that I'll get involved or attend when everything is fixed. If we do then the mission becomes much tougher.

Well, these are the comments that stood out to me. Can't say I disagree with any of them. It really does boil down to DOMINATING the Belt in EVERY way, and having success OOC. If those expectations aren't met in a timely manner, then RV (IMO) needs to revisit those issues, personnel-wise.

In regards to donors: IMO the fan/alumni base needs to nut up--or shut up.

Well you want leadership and I'm going to give to you. I apologize for nothing we've done over the last five years as we have made great strides in every area of the program. Our student-athletes and coaches are much better off today and our fans and alums now enjoy many of the aspects of the program not available just a few years ago (tailgating, video boards, available merchandise, a recognizable brand and national recognition, etc.) But that is in the past and I must look to the future. I understand your frustration in some areas because I share some of those same concerns.

Rick V,

I'm sure many of these comments were directed at me because of many of my previous post.

I know you are not just sitting back, drawing a paycheck, I applaud you for staying in contact with the fanbase and letting us know what is in the works.

Brett Tulloss

The Nuts and Bolts of what RV was stating ...... like some of us have stated repeated times over the last year or so.....

1. We know we are in the SBC and will be until another conference invitation.

2. Until something opens up UNT needs to excell in all sports.

3. UNT still needs "back sides" in the stands for FB & BB (primarily).

4. Somebody needs to win the lottery for the new stadium.

5. Quarterly updates would be nice from the AD on the current status of the program.

6. Quarterly updates would be nice from DD and JJ too.....as a matter of fact it would be interesting to have a "chat" discussion with RV, DD, JJ & TS in the near future. Personally, I think this would dispell vicious rumors, conspiracies and the perverbial "he said-she said" discussions that are rampent on this board.

As far as this year:

1. I am looking forward to a "wider" open offense than what we have been used to in the past in FB.

2. I certainly hope that DD can keep his diabietes under control. As we all age we are always more concerned about our health. Perhaps some of us other "wide body" alums can follow DD's lead and looooooooose 10 or 20 pounds.

3. I look forward to mens and womens BB.

Edited by eulesseagle

4. Somebody needs to win the lottery for the new stadium.

I disagree with your assessment. I think what he was saying is that becuase he hasn't briefed us on the details doesn't mean nothing is being done.

With that being said, I plan on playing no less than $400/week in the lotto just to make sure.

Thank you for coming on and clearing up a number of issues. It's great to know that the issues on here are heard by the athletic department and are being worked on whether the board knows it or not. These past few years have been great for the school, and the continuing growth will fun to watch over the next number of years. If the Get Connected sessions this summer are any indication, student pride will be higher than I've ever seen.

I appreciate the updates and I'm regretful that I missed the impromptu Q/A session. I have no questions about your three key topics. The Texas Bowl and SBC issues are what they are. I understand and agree with the rationale by all parties.

I'll have to accept your response on the football stadium and realize that you have a firm grasp on what it means to the future of UNT athletics. I also understand that spending millions of dollars to fund a new stadium without the assurance that attendance will increase is a risky endeavor, at best. "If you build it, they will come," is a nice thought but it's a line from a Hollywood movie and doesn't necessarily translate to the real world. You have to look no further than UTA to see a prime example of how a new football stadium doesn't necessarily equal instant success for a football program. Those who attend North Texas football games know that we currently enjoy some of the most reasonable ticket and concession prices of any of the 119 NCAA D-I programs. For an extreme comparison, check the concession prices at DKR on 9/2 or any Dallas Cowboys, Mavericks. Simple economics would suggest that increased prices can be expected with a new stadium.

So how do I answer the questions I left above. Like it or not most of it is up to our fans and alums. The Mean Green nation must quit complaining and whining about everything from conference affiliation to coaching preferences. Until everyone of you buys season tickets and fills the stands, contributes to the program and creates the same positive attitude we want from our coaches and administrators we will continue to give others reason to tear us down. We must travel in larger numbers to the next bowl game to show our strength and entice other bowls to consider us when openings occur. We have to galvanize our efforts and not allow the excuse that I'll get involved or attend when everything is fixed.

While I agree with your assessment of placing the financial burden (in the form of ticket sales/athletic dept. donations) directly on the Mean Green nation, I'd love to see a greater effort put forth in the development of a larger fan base and corporate sponsors.

I work in the marketing/advertising field in the DFW metroplex and I've been solicited to sponsor NCAA programs from the majors (UT, LSU and OU) to the mid-majors (Southern Miss, Houston, Rice) to the D-II programs (Southern U, Jackson St., Tennessee St.). Not once, in 11 years, has anyone from UNT ever contacted my clients or my agency regarding a possible sponsorship opportunity or association with Mean Green athletics. I know sponsorship opportunities exist and information can be obtained from the unt.edu website, but is there no marketing dept./person actively pursuing corporate sponsorships/advertising???

I'd also like to see a major increase in the marketing of UNT football and basketball programs to the greater DFW metroplex. I know advertising campaigns are executed on a smaller scale in the Denton area, but there is so much more potential in DFW to grow our fan base. It's true we have to compete with professional franchises and, to a lesser degree, SMU and TCU, but our ticket prices are much more palatable to the average DFW resident, especially those looking to take the whole family. In addition, discounted tickets could be provided to youth football teams and/or elementary schools as well as area businesses. Promotional items could be given to the younger fans in attendance. There are virtually countless ways in which Mean Green Madness could infect the greater DFW area and grow our fan base to an unprecedented high. Of course will have to field a competitive product to realize our full potential.

I appreciate the updates and I'm regretful that I missed the impromptu Q/A session.  I have no questions about your three key topics.  The Texas Bowl and SBC issues are what they are.  I understand and agree with the rationale by all parties. 

I'll have to accept your response on the football stadium and realize that you have a firm grasp on what it means to the future of UNT athletics.  I also understand that spending millions of dollars to fund a new stadium without the assurance that attendance will increase is a risky endeavor, at best.  "If you build it, they will come," is a nice thought but it's a line from a Hollywood movie and doesn't necessarily translate to the real world.  You have to look no further than UTA to see a prime example of how a new football stadium doesn't necessarily equal instant success for a football program.  Those who attend North Texas football games know that we currently enjoy some of the most reasonable ticket and concession prices of any of the 119 NCAA D-I programs.  For an extreme comparison, check the concession prices at DKR on 9/2 or any Dallas Cowboys, Mavericks.  Simple economics would suggest that increased prices can be expected with a new stadium.

While I agree with your assessment of placing the financial burden (in the form of ticket sales/athletic dept. donations) directly on the Mean Green nation, I'd love to see a greater effort put forth in the development of a larger fan base and corporate sponsors.

I work in the marketing/advertising field in the DFW metroplex and I've been solicited to sponsor NCAA programs from the majors (UT, LSU and OU) to the mid-majors (Southern Miss, Houston, Rice) to the D-II programs (Southern U, Jackson St., Tennessee St.).  Not once, in 11 years, has anyone from UNT ever contacted my clients or my agency regarding a possible sponsorship opportunity or association with Mean Green athletics.  I know sponsorship opportunities exist and information can be obtained from the unt.edu website, but is there no marketing dept./person actively pursuing corporate sponsorships/advertising???

I'd also like to see a major increase in the marketing of UNT football and basketball programs to the greater DFW metroplex.  I know advertising campaigns are executed on a smaller scale in the Denton area, but there is so much more potential in DFW to grow our fan base.  It's true we have to compete with professional franchises and, to a lesser degree, SMU and TCU, but our ticket prices are much more palatable to the average DFW resident, especially those looking to take the whole family.  In addition, discounted tickets could be provided to youth football teams and/or elementary schools as well as area businesses.  Promotional items could be given to the younger fans in attendance.  There are virtually countless ways in which Mean Green Madness could infect the greater DFW area and grow our fan base to an unprecedented high.  Of course will have to field a competitive product to realize our full potential.

The part I highlighted in large red letters has been the norm at UNT, ganggrene.

I really wish we could hire Troy U's fundraising dept. so they could show us the kind of people we need to talk (and not piss off) who could build a new football stadium at Eagle Point Campus. I bet we have some fund-raisers at UNT now who barely raise their salaries (and that was also the norm for most of the last 30 plus years in Denton FWIW).

Yet.................the same MG people on the same MG donor's list of the last 20 years at UNT are not going to (financially) catupult this program any higher than it is now. Those on that list are for damn sure not going to build a new football stadium in Denton, either.

That 20 year old donors list will get even smaller if some of these (downright) stupid public relations blunders of a few in the present UNT athletic dept. don't drastically come to a halt, either. Who do they think they are working for anyway? Themselves? Only at UNT would all that have been so swept under the carpet with some acting as though some of these blunders didn't happen at all.

I work in the marketing/advertising field in the DFW metroplex and I've been solicited to sponsor NCAA programs from the majors (UT, LSU and OU) to the mid-majors (Southern Miss, Houston, Rice) to the D-II programs (Southern U, Jackson St., Tennessee St.).  Not once, in 11 years, has anyone from UNT ever contacted my clients or my agency regarding a possible sponsorship opportunity or association with Mean Green athletics.  I know sponsorship opportunities exist and information can be obtained from the unt.edu website, but is there no marketing dept./person actively pursuing corporate sponsorships/advertising???

That is a major issue. We should be hitting DFW harder, not just Denton. More Marketing and Fundraising personnel for the Athletic Department is a must if we are to progress further. Wouldn't the positions basically pay for themselves?

The NEW STADIUM is the key component in all of North Texas' Athletic future. Football is the revenue generator for Athletics and publicity generator for the university as a whole. A venue must be built for modern times, not 1950's spectators.

New Football Stadium = Better Opponents = More Attendance = CU$A

----I agree with the statement about bashing the Belt. We are in it and should accept it and make the best of it. It will improve, not likely to Big-XII standards but it will get better as teams improve and start winning some OCC games. I do agree CUSA would be a better fit for us because of local in-state opponents but a lot of those schools are small and liklely all of them are much smaller than us. ...which brings up the point that we should do a lot better in fans in the stands than we do. Nothing else appears to be even remotely possible (today) but things change. Personally I want nothing to do with the WAC and think in the long run it is no better than the Belt.... in fan appeal or status.

---It appears to me that more promotion of UNT would be possible in the DFW area, but the best promotion would just be play more Texas teams and defeat some of them. That will get us us more "space and time" in the media. North Texas really got noticed here in West Texas when they defeat TxTech a couple of times and almost did one other. The odd thing it seems that UNT did not try much to recruit West-Texas kids much then when they had suddenly gotten a lot of local attention here and might have done fairly well.... in fact lately it seems to have gone the other way with fewer ones.

Promotion of NT in the DFW area is vital as that is where most of the alums live not just in Denton County.

Adding to that recruiting this area would bring in families and players of the recruits to help boot attendance.

I feel the SBC has more of an upside than CUSA. A move now to the CUSA would be beneficial but it will not happen. I can foresee the SBC moving ahead of the CUSA as well as the WAC and MAC in the future. The Florida schools will definitely help that and if the rest of us can upgrade (winn OCC) games and hopefully with WKU coming in to give us 9 teams for football the SBC will rise to the top. CUSA will become stagnent as their teams are more spread out than ours (will UTEP get excited about a home game with E. Carolina?) and I do not see SMU and Rice ever becoming consitent winners.

Keep up the good work, RV. And I am one who believes "if you build it they will come". I seen it happen too many times - a new store opens, a new rewstaurant comes to town, etc. and people have to check it out. The key is to give them something to keep coming back.

“You can be what ever you resolve to be”

~ General Thomas J “Stonewall” Jackson

That is a major issue.   We should be hitting DFW harder, not just Denton.  More Marketing and Fundraising personnel for the Athletic Department is a must if we are to progress further.   Wouldn't the positions basically pay for themselves?  

The NEW STADIUM is the key component in all of North Texas' Athletic future.   Football is the revenue generator for Athletics and publicity generator for the university as a whole.   A venue must be built for modern times, not 1950's spectators.

New Football Stadium = Better Opponents = More Attendance = CU$A

The new stadium when built (whether in the next 5 years or way out there in the sweet by and by) will do many things for UNT, but at the top of the list, it will replace Fouts Field which is the single-most negative perception-creator of a facility on our campus. Damn shame it just happens to be located where 40,000 commuters can observe it every day of the year they drive pass our pink elephant. Any other UNT academic facility of similar disrepair and age would have been condemned and torn down years ago. Sadly, Texas Stadium will probably be torn down before Fouts Field because of our traditional snail pace we move in Denton which too many times has left us waiting as the alter for better conferences.

Jeff, I most always agree with your posts and we both (of late) seem to share the same frustrations and disappointments with what we see as our alma mater's athletic department's lack of an upwardly mobile direction (or at least a direction that will rise beyond the SBC/Bottom 10 level); but this time around I will agree to disagree with you on UNT's potential inclusion into CUSA and (IMHO) the reason for this is:

As long as SMU's doors are open for business and as long as ol' Death Penalty U, ie, SMuuuuuuuuu, a school with more NCAA infractions than any other NCAA D1-A school last time I checked; anyway, as long as SMU is a member of Conference USA, UNT can kiss off any chances of our ever getting in. SMU seems to love to piss in our bowl of soup any opportunity they get; you know, the kind of attiitude and mode of operation one would expect from a "Christian" oriented university? rolleyes.gif

Also, as much as I hate to admit this, I see about 3 other schools (2 in the SBC) who are presently ahead of us in overall football (stadium) facilities that I think CUSA would call on before they would UNT. CUSA (located in Irving, Texas) will most always listen to what SMU's desires or wishes concerning their league's expansion in the future.

For UNT at the time there was an opening in CUSA----still another blown opportunity because all we (mostly) have to offer is "potential", also because of the (forever) SMU influence and our overall lack of football facilities at the time Chuck Neinas was touring all the potential CUSA schools. Just my .02....

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Promotion of NT in the DFW area is vital as that is where most of the alums live not just in Denton County.

Adding to that recruiting this area would bring in families and players of the recruits to help boot attendance.

Keep up the good work, RV.  And I am one who believes "if you build it they will come".  I seen it happen too many times - a new store opens, a new rewstaurant comes to town, etc. and people have to check it out.  The key is to give them something to keep coming back.   

Well, the Greenbackers (and the Athletic Dept) have given students/fans/alumni a much better game day atmosphere...and it keeps getting better every year.

Let's see, what else do we need?.......... rolleyes.gif .......... cool.gif