SMU vs. UNT- Class Warfare?

DallasGreen

Nice to see the NT fans rely on stereotypes rather than actual information and/or common sense. rolleyes.gif

Class warfare? You have got to be kidding. There are plenty of people who go to NT who are rather fortunate in their financial situation, just as there are plenty of people who go to SMU who are on full financial aid. There are plenty of rich graduates of both schools.

UNT is a public institution, so it is by nature more affordable than SMU. UNT does receive funding from the state (not as much as UT or A&M, but still, it's funding), whereas SMU does not.

SilverEagle, a school has to build it's endowment by itself. SMU did that. SMU has gotten where it is by itself. Every school gets where it is by itself. It's all about making use of the resources available to you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see the NT fans rely on stereotypes rather than actual information and/or common sense. rolleyes.gif

Class warfare?  You have got to be kidding.  There are plenty of people who go to NT who are rather fortunate in their financial situation, just as there are plenty of people who go to SMU who are on full financial aid.  There are plenty of rich graduates of both schools. 

UNT is a public institution, so it is by nature more affordable than SMU.  UNT does receive funding from the state (not as much as UT or A&M, but still, it's funding), whereas SMU does not. 

SilverEagle, a school has to build it's endowment by itself.  SMU did that.  SMU has gotten where it is by itself.  Every school gets where it is by itself.  It's all about making use of the resources available to you.

CS - you don't know how it works here yet. Rather than commend schools that have built fundraising programs correctly, we'd rather name call and resent them for it. If we ever got our leadership to figure out fundraising at all levels of this university, we might have to have a group suicide because we'd have no choice but to loathe ourselves.

There are plenty of reasons to hate your school - but alumni success is not really one of them. Why don't we go out this weekend, fire up the Dave Matthews, and GHB some sorority girls?

If we ever got our leadership to figure out fundraising at all levels of this university, we might have to have a group suicide because we'd have no choice but to loathe ourselves.

Hmm. There would be precident in the Sun Belt.. One of our teams is from Jonesboro... ph34r.gif Maybe they could give us some pointers?

Class warfare?  You have got to be kidding.  There are plenty of people who go to NT who are rather fortunate in their financial situation, just as there are plenty of people who go to SMU who are on full financial aid.  There are plenty of rich graduates of both schools. 

UNT is a public institution, so it is by nature more affordable than SMU.  UNT does receive funding from the state (not as much as UT or A&M, but still, it's funding), whereas SMU does not. 

SilverEagle, a school has to build it's endowment by itself. SMU did that.  SMU has gotten where it is by itself.  Every school gets where it is by itself.  It's all about making use of the resources available to you.

Well duh! All endowments are private funds or gifts. Whether or not the endowment is at a private or public University....they're gifts. Private schools just have more sugar daddies to give to these endowments.

I forget, what did SMU call the endowment fund that they used to pay athletes? rolleyes.gif

I forget, what did SMU call the endowment fund that they used to pay athletes? rolleyes.gif

Blah. It was the "we're not going to have any success in football for 20 years after we get busted" fund. I think we've suffered the consequences enough as is, without having to have the crime thrown in our faces every day.

Blah.  It was the "we're not going to have any success in football for 20 years after we get busted" fund.  I think we've suffered the consequences enough as is, without having to have the crime thrown in our faces every day.

Then don't lecture me about endowments. There's all sorts of endowments.....as SMU demonstrated.

Then don't lecture me about endowments. There's all sorts of endowments.....as SMU demonstrated.

Maybe you didn't understand my meaning. My point was that SMU has built itself up by itself. What they do with the money has nothing to do with it.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something you have said. Either way, I think there is a miscommunication going on.

According to Stewart Mandel Mailbag at SI.com, UNT better buckle their chinstraps on September 9:

I'm going to keep sending this question until you publish it! SMU went 5-6 last year with wins over UTEP, TCU and Houston -- bowl teams -- and four of its losses were by less than a touchdown. Do you think this is the year the Mustangs finally make a bowl game? -- Scott Seibel, Dallas

SM: Yes.

LINK

Class warfare????

----Most SMU grads I personally know (not all, just most) don't seem to show a lot of class.... just arrogence. Even a very good friend of mine allowed his daughter to go there (honor grad) and she has become a total mess... divorced, lives somewhat at home, a menial job, and half nuts.

----Personally I have never considered UNT a lower class school, just less expensive and with students that usually demonstrate more class than that other one and definitely more pleasant to be around for the most part..

---My opinion is that you are whatever class you think you, I don't think SMU as superior to anything...to start with many of them have a real attitude problem and are not very pleasant to be around. The UNT degrees my family has is outdoing a lot SMU people I know. There is a difference in saying "I am good" and actually being good.

Class warfare???? 

----Most SMU grads I personally know (not all, just most) don't seem to show a lot of class.... just arrogence.  Even a very good friend of mine allowed his daughter to go there (honor grad) and she has become a total mess... divorced, lives somewhat at home, a menial job, and half nuts.

It must have been SMU that screwed her up. I know no one else who has gone to college anywhere else, changed, and become weird or messed up.

It must have been SMU that screwed her up. I know no one else who has gone to college anywhere else, changed, and become weird or messed up.

Quonster. Please stop it. Please leave me and the rest of us SMU haters to continue to spew irrational, stereotyped views about our hilltop neighbors. Do not attempt to squelch our embarrassing affirmation of our inferiority complexes. It is our right as GMG.com members. And just as you cannot stop a 40-something male from indulging in the obligitory mid-life corvette, you cannot stop UNT grads from bashing SMU. Is is better for you to sit back in bemusement at our baseless rantings.

So if SMU students don't sit around and talk about money, it's because we know we're rolling in it... but if we do talk about, we are arrogant rich snobs. Sounds like you just want an axe to grind with SMU students regardless. My point in saying that no one talked about money was to show you that SMU students are not that different from other college students. Yes, most come from affluent families, but that doesn't make the students evil or aliens compared to other institutions. Some state schools carry the same social (not academic) aura as SMU... such as UVA and even Ole Miss. It's not just a "private school thing."

I am sure there are some arrogant SMU alums. And they are probably the kids that grew up in snotty nice suburbian TX high schools, and went to SMU so people would think they "had money." They are probably very bitter about life b/c they put all of their stock in being "better than someone" due to where they went to school, and now they are working with everyone else and they have nothing else to feel superior about. You have alums like that from every school, and the worst are Dukies from the north east who get stuck in the South and resent life.

I think most people on here want to have a problem with SMU more than anything else. You run into one student or a few alums and it becomes a sweeping generalization. I am much more the typical SMU alum (and student while I was there) than these people y'all talk about. Making these sweeping generalizations about SMU is the exact same thing that you whine and complain about SMUers doing to everyone that graduates from UNT.

Edited by SouthernMustang

Quonster. Please stop it.  Please leave me and the rest of us SMU haters to continue to spew irrational, stereotyped views about our hilltop neighbors.  Do not attempt to squelch our embarrassing affirmation of our inferiority complexes.  It is our right as GMG.com members.  And just as you cannot stop a 40-something male from indulging in the obligitory mid-life corvette, you cannot stop UNT grads from bashing SMU.  Is is better for you to sit back in bemusement at our baseless rantings.

I hate SMU too - that's not the point. There is so much more to bash them for that what is being said here - in all honesty it makes it really easy to turn this back around. In fact, on this board, SMU posters are coming off as classy, which is absurd.

Make fun of their rich QB history (those who didn't form rock bands or transfer), make fun of their khakified army of douche bags, but don't make this debate into some weird metaphorical, end all be all conflict.

Its like being given a chance to roast Bin Laden and sticking only to "beard joke" material.

'baseless' would be an understatement.

Class wars? Personally, I resent that comparison.

My brother attends SMU. I attended North Texas. Big deal. Our parents income is irrelevant, as is this thread.

Honestly, I agree with most of the SMU posters thoughts, so get a rope if you must.

I want to beat SMU because they are a regional rival, and because it will be all over the DMN (and by that I mean several pages back behind whatever happens in the UT/OSU game).

I am not blue collar. Most people I knew at North Texas are not "blue collar". Who cares if I worked or if I didnt work through college. I dont. And I dont care if anyone else did. Everyone has different circumstances.

No offense to our SMU friends, but a W in this game would not be considered a "great win in NT history" by any means. It would be a good start for our season.

Edited by Eagle1855

In fact, on this board, SMU posters are coming off as classy, which is absurd.

Amen to that! laugh.gif

Ok back to the sterotyping. Who's got that picture of the SMU guys storming the field with rolled up khaki's??? That's always good for a laugh. Was it you SouthernMustang that posted that? Can you repost it in this thread? laugh.gif

No offense to our SMU friends, but a W in this game would not be considered a "great win in NT history" by any means. It would be a good start for our season.

I think the feeling between the masses of most fanbases is mutual. Neither team was great last year, one was mediocre at best. Both teams just need to avoid (realistic fan alert here) starting 0-2. It's a good regional game to get either team's season started in the right direction.

Amen to that!  laugh.gif

Ok back to the sterotyping.  Who's got that picture of the SMU guys storming the field with rolled up khaki's???  That's always good for a laugh.  Was it you SouthernMustang that posted that?  Can you repost it in this thread?  laugh.gif

Yeah... I'll see if I can find that somewhere. But first I have to go to my appointment with my therapist b/c going to SMU for 4 years screwed me up so much.

Blah.  It was the "we're not going to have any success in football for 20 years after we get busted" fund.  I think we've suffered the consequences enough as is, without having to have the crime thrown in our faces every day.

You gotta understand most of the people on this board live so far in the past they're still playing Hayden Fry's greatest moments on their beta-max.

I want to beat SMU as badly as anyone, but it comes down to the football players wanting to win as much as the alumni (hopefully the coaches are working on this). I still remember a game at SMU where I felt that the players put out so little effort that I could have come out of the stands and played as well (as a 40+ female). I really felt that I wanted to win more than any of those players that afternoon.

So, guys if you read this, we are counting on you to represent us. We will support you and cheer you on, but we can't play. That is up to you. I am hoping that Mean Green Pride kicks in and ask that you give it your all. If you do, I think we will all be celebrating that night and move our program one step forward! Afterall, we need to keep our focus on that goal. I think you can tell that the athletic program means a lot to many, many alumni.

By the way, fans, since we are talking about "class." Another thing I remember about that game is our band marching in saying "SMU sucks." Hopefully, those that represent our university (band, fans, players, etc.) will show some "class" in the stands, the parking lot, and on the field. If you want to be known as "classy", you first have to show "class." I believe our behavior, attitude and values have more to do with "class" than money. I know I am part of the older generation, but with that comes some wisdom. So, I suggest we not let our emotions get the best of us...let's beat SMU with class and not give others anything to use to put down UNT, its players, fans, or alumni.

GO MEAN GREEN, BEAT SMU!