Where are the Dallas Maverick Faithfull?

I'm blown away at the lack of posts from our rabid basketball fans here on this board. Where are you guys? Surely the hair has to be standing on the back of your necks by now?

I'm not a huge NBA fan by any means but I have taken an interest into the fact that I don't ever remember seeing one program forced to take it up the rearend by it's own league, officials and opponents and opponents fans than the Mavericks have so far in the finals.

Stackhouse rediculous suspension for heavy fouling the no talent KING of heavy fouls, thrown elbows and push 'em down walk-to-the-basket points, and still allowed to do so himself without once getting into foul trouble?

A city mayor pushes the envelope of free speech against a Maverick fan for showing his support on private property?

For the first time ever the differential between free throws goes up to 24 between two teams in a finals game in favor of Miami, including the game winning drive call?

Same officiating crew that allows that differential in free throws completely ignores a back court foul that any child could recognize, a call that would have ended the game in favor of Dallas?

The time out call that the lead ref over turns, but is later overturned himself by the other two refs in favor of Miami.

How much more can go against one team in a series? Can the Mav's pull it off?

Where are you Maverick Fans? Speak up!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no foul on the last play D Wade wasn't touched . . . Josh Howard more than likely didn't call that timeout, probably just verbally said timeout when asking Avery. Of course the timeout is going to come after the 2nd shot. He may be young, but has enough game knowledge not to do that . . . Free throws Miami 49 Dallas 25, the same amount as Wade. So don't be mad at Dallas be mad at Bennett Salvatore, Joe Crawford, Joe Derosa, and David Stern . . .

Watching the Finals remindes why I hate Basketball so much. The refs are so biased it is pathetic. They suspend Stackhouse for a hard foul, while going for the ball. Yet, they allow Shaq to throw elbows like it is a UFC event and then the forearm shiver he hit D. Harris with last night that was a no call.

I hate the Get the guy into the air and then jump into him for a foul, WTF!!!! Loved Wade's dive last night when Harris just moved out of the way and let Wade hit the floor. But since it is the Finals I'll watch b/c of the Mavs any other year I just check for final scores the next morning.

Also does everyone love the Miami Heat "KAs" on TNT and ABC?? dry.gif

I've watched most of all the games. Maybe because I'm not really a fan of either team, but I think it's been a highly entertaining series. More bad breaks have gone against the Mavericks, but I don't think it's nearly as lopsided as been made out to be.

The two teams are very evenly matched. I think Dallas wins the last 2 at home.

Where are you Maverick Fans?  Speak up!

Rick

I'm here. But since this is uncharted territory for the Mavs I'm not talking any trash about this series.

I've grown accustomed to fouls not being called consistently, but the Stackhouse suspension gets me. It was handled well on the floor and should have been left there. Terry's one game suspension during the Spurs series was appropriate. And he handled like a man. He apologized, served his time and moved on.

While in Spain recently, I was sitting in a cafe reading Hemmingway and had a couple of NBA thoughts:

Spurs fans (as well as a lot of other NBA fans) claim Mark Cuban complains about officiating too much. Have you ever watched Tim Duncan play? He spends as much time claiming he didn't foul someone as he does missing free throws.

and

Manu Ginobili will be the new spokesperson for "Medic Alert" bracelets. He's the new "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up" guy. Since he spends so much time flopping on the floor, company officials say it is a perfect fit.

GO MEAN GREEN !

GO MAVS!

Keep a couple things in mind with the foul calls. 1) The Mavs were playing "hack a Shaq" through most of the second half. If you use up most of your fouls doing this, than any time you touch a Heat player after you get 5 team fouls, it is free throws. 2) NBA refs will reward aggressive, drive to the hoop type play. The Heat are always going to the basket. How many times did you see the Mavs pull up and shoot a jumper instead of taking it to the hoop? The Terry shot at the end of regulation is a perfect example. If that is Wade, he takes it to the hole. But the Mavs shoot a jumper instead. It is like the Mavs are afraid to go inside, but can you blame them? However, that is what they will have to do to get it done. I think that Dirk drove to the basket several times early in Game 4 and got Shaq in fould trouble, but the team stopped after that.

Look for the calls to go Dallas' way in Game 6. We won't lose 4 straight, but after that, Game 7 is a coin flip. I hope that they can get it done. You never know when you might get back.

Stackhouse rediculous suspension for heavy fouling the no talent KING of heavy fouls, thrown elbows and push 'em down walk-to-the-basket points, and still allowed to do so himself without once getting into foul trouble?

Not saying it's right, but it's the nature of the game. Tenille O'Neal has been in the league for years, and is a marquee player. He will get calls like that.

You don't put a player at the foul line with the game on the line after he wild-ass dribbles through 3 defenders and tries to put up an off-balance shot. If he's going to do that, you make him earn the basket. Ridiculous call.

Having said that, the Mavericks MUST DRIVE THE LANE. They haven't done this since game 3, and they won't get fouls called at crunch time by shooting fade aways. Wade looks for the foul every time he shoots, and that's very smart.

Can the Mavs pull this out? Yes.

All of the above issues skirt the real issue:

There hasn't been a German collapse this big since 1943 on the Volga.

Where is Dirk?

Dirk needs to take it to the hoop more and stop settling for those mid-rangers.

There seems to be a huge difference in a Mav's possession when they get past half-court and start moving the ball. If Terry/point sits there at the top and waits too long for something to develop, we rely too much on low-% shots. Maybe I'm seeing this wrong.

And Wayde was hitting his shots magnificantly, not gonna argue with a great performance. But the last three games, to me, there's been an obvious difference in the way they're callling Mav fouls on Wayde/Heat, and the physicallity they - the refs - are letting the Heat play on Terry/Mavs.

Mavericks faithful... that would imply there are die-hard/non-bandwagon fans in the city of Dallas. That was a funny joke, though. Dallas is the only city where they will sell retro-team stuff so that its citizens can buy it and "prove" they were fans back in the day.

Get rid of Mark Cuban and the Mavs fanbase outside of the metroplex would increase ten-fold. I'm not rooting against the Mavs, but I can't say I don't enjoy seeing Cuban cry on the sidelines everytime the Mavs have lose.

That guy breeds and fosters the player mentality that makes so many die-hard sports fans disgusted at the arrogance/attitudes of pro-sports athletes today.

Edited by SouthernMustang

But the last three games, to me, there's been an obvious difference in the way they're callling Mav fouls on Wayde/Heat, and the physicallity they - the refs - are letting the Heat play on Terry/Mavs.

The most obvious difference is how much the NBA has changed it rules to favor the guy driving to the basket.

Handchecking is as long gone as a wire cage around the court.

Running along side with the ball carrier, keeping your hands in the air, and then having him leap into you is now a foul on you.

And, of course, a hard foul, with the ball carrier NOT in a dangerous situation, now gets you suspended.

Stackhouse for President. He Tackles the Tough Issues.

Dallas is the only city where they will sell retro-team stuff so that its citizens can buy it and "prove" they were fans back in the day.

Bullsh!t. That's nothing new, and not originated by the Mavericks.

Get rid of Mark Cuban and the Mavs fanbase outside of the metroplex would increase ten-fold. I'm not rooting against the Mavs, but I can't say I don't enjoy seeing Cuban cry on the sidelines everytime the Mavs have lose.

I agree that he's a whiner, but there's no question that he'a a great owner.

That guy breeds and fosters the player mentality that makes so many die-hard sports fans disgusted at the arrogance/attitudes of pro-sports athletes today.

rolleyes.gif

Is that right? He's probably also responsible for Iverson, Kobe, and Artest's attitudes as well, right? laugh.gif

Manu Ginobili will be the new spokesperson for "Medic Alert" bracelets.  He's the new "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up" guy.  Since he spends so much time flopping on the floor, company officials say it is a perfect fit.

GO MEAN GREEN !

GO MAVS!

I believe Ginobli is Argentinian, so he probably learned that on the soccer field where the flop has been perfected for years.

Guest JohnDenver

Mavericks faithful... that would imply there are die-hard/non-bandwagon fans in the city of Dallas. That was a funny joke, though. Dallas is the only city where they will sell retro-team stuff so that its citizens can buy it and "prove" they were fans back in the day.

Go back and root for your pro-team in Mississppi. Oh wait .. THERE ISN'T ONE.

Don't bag on Dallas a whole. That is moronic. Typical for a SMU person to look down their noses at fans supporting their team -- but they aren't doing it in "proper" fasion.

I am from Denver. I can tell you that they STILL sell Orange Crush Broncos gear ... I guess they have the same problem of people trying to prove they were fans back in the day.

Here is my qualifying statement for Stang...My first favorite Maverick was Sam Perkins. I used to have a James Donaldson poster on my wall. I crutched up to the top row of Reunion Arena with a healing broke leg to watch the Triple J's play. I camped out overnight for tickets for Game 4 against Utah in 2001. Good enough for you?

I couldn't believe I was watching when they blew that whistle with 1.9 seconds left. On the replay, the defender of officials, Hubie Brown laughed out loud and did not comment further. Where was the foul when Wade hit Terry on the elbow in the last shot of regulation? If it is a case of "being rewarded" for driving the lane, then Devin Harris should have had about 8 more free shots than he had. The NBA has ALWAYS protected certain players and teams. Wade was being protected. If you looked at him wrong, whistle. In my opnion, this game surpassed the 2002 Kings/Lakers Game 6 as the archetype of NBA official bias. I expect Bill Simmons to have an article on this soon.

When the Mavs lost games 3 and 4, they lost. This one doesn't feel like it ended. Very frustrating to watch.

I am probably typical SMUer, but I am not typical of the stereotype that other people place on SMU students. But I don't get what that has to do with me not liking Mark Cuban.

Mark Cuban breeds the arrogance/cockiness that is annoying about NBA players. Do you not agree? I can't stand the attitude players on any team convey which is why I don't follow the NBA. Mark Cuban just takes the player's side rather than the NBA's which bothers me moreso. I also have a hard time with NFL players and their "showiness." I miss the days when there weren't end-zone dances and people referring to themselves as gasoline types (Diesel, Shaq). The pro-leagues need to do what the NCAA does.

I do know there are some die-hard Mavs fans; I was being sarcastic. But as a whole, it's a bandwagon base. They were averaging around 1,500 people/game. It's not like they were the Chicago Cubs where no matter how bad they suck, the city still stays behind them and showed up in droves. You can't argue that Dallas supports specific teams over winners. The city of Dallas supports HOCKEY better than they support BASEBALL. For a Texas City? That is SAD. The Rangers have been drawing under 20,000 this year and they've been in first place. The Astros were pulling in 40,000 in their horrible May slump just down the road. Granted, the Astros are much more of a "hometown" team than the Rangers.

And while my whole family went to Ole Miss and spent every Reb home game in Oxford, I am from Birmingham, AL -- Mountain Brook if you want to get technical. And we DO have a pro-sports team in the Arena Football League. The Birmingham STEELDOGS. So there.

Guest e-bone

I am probably typical SMUer, but I am not typical of the stereotype that other people place on SMU students. But I don't get what that has to do with me not liking Mark Cuban.

Mark Cuban breeds the arrogance/cockiness that is annoying about NBA players. Do you not agree? I can't stand the attitude players on any team convey which is why I don't follow the NBA. Mark Cuban just takes the player's side rather than the NBA's which bothers me moreso. I also have a hard time with NFL players and their "showiness." I miss the days when there weren't end-zone dances and people referring to themselves as gasoline types (Diesel, Shaq). The pro-leagues need to do what the NCAA does.

Mark wasn't born into his money and is more of a "regular guy" than 99% of SMU grads, so really, don't try to say that your being an SMUer doesn't have anything to do with not liking Cuban.

Here's a fun fact... NBA players were cocky long before Mark Cuban owned a NBA team! I have no idea what end zone dances and Shaq have to do with Cuban, considering that the Mavs have become less demonstrative on the court in recent years and how Cuban hates how Shaq has played in integral role in ruining the game of basketball. Cuban has done more good for basketball and the NBA than most people realize. As for your statement about the Mavs fan base increasing by 10 times if Cuban left, that is total BS. The Mavs fan base of SMU grads and elitist rich white people might increase if a typical elitist white rich guy owned the Mavs, but your average person likes how they can look at Cuban and see a little of themselves. When you can't tell the difference between Cuban and the fans sitting next to him(yes, he sits in the stands with the actual fans), I think that is a good thing.

CRY CRY CRY that is all the MAV fans have done. Its not fair this or that. BLahh Blahh Blahh. The Mavs could and should have won the series already. Dirk blows a free throw late in both of the last two games that would most likely won the game for the Mavs. So gripe what you want but the MAVS have blown more clritical opportunities that the HEAT.

Stackhouse got what he deserved. He took SHAQ out on that play leading with his shoulder and going for the ball at the end of the play. That was intentional.

On the replay last night you can see 2 MAVS calling time out. Once they call it they cant take it back. I feel that was theirs and Avery's faults.

FUTURE:

Look for Dallas to blow the HEAT out of game 6 because of the bitching to come from the Mavs about the officiating but the HEAT WILL WIN IN 7!!!!!!!

Here is an article on Cuban that gives a little more insight than an in-game cut away shot.

I do know there are some die-hard Mavs fans; I was being sarcastic. But as a whole, it's a bandwagon base. They were averaging around 1,500 people/game.

The Mavs lowest average attendance was 7,789, in their first season in 1980. Since 1983, their lowest average was 12,839 in 1993.

You can't argue that Dallas supports specific teams over winners. The city of Dallas supports HOCKEY better than they support BASEBALL. For a Texas City? That is SAD

The Rangers bring fans in no matter what. Since 1988, the Rangers have only been under 2,000,000 in attendance once, they were 14,000 away in 1995 (the year after the strike).

You compared Ranger and Astro fans, so I took the last 11 years attendance average. During this duration, the Astros made the playoffs six times, one world series, and opened a new park. The Rangers made the playoffs three times and this time span started the year after the Ballpark opened (so the 39,733 in 1994 did not go in).

Astros - 30,879

Rangers - 32,141

Mark wasn't born into his money and is more of a "regular guy" than 99% of SMU grads, so really, don't try to say that your being an SMUer doesn't have anything to do with not liking Cuban.

Here's a fun fact... NBA players were cocky long before Mark Cuban owned a NBA team! I have no idea what end zone dances and Shaq have to do with Cuban, considering that the Mavs have become less demonstrative on the court in recent years and how Cuban hates how Shaq has played in integral role in ruining the game of basketball. Cuban has done more good for basketball and the NBA than most people realize. As for your statement about the Mavs fan base increasing by 10 times if Cuban left, that is total BS. The Mavs fan base of SMU grads and elitist rich white people might increase if a typical elitist white rich guy owned the Mavs, but your average person likes how they can look at Cuban and see a little of themselves. When you can't tell the difference between Cuban and the fans sitting next to him(yes, he sits in the stands with the actual fans), I think that is a good thing.

I'm not going to lie and I say I haven't grown up extremely fortunate because I've been blessed, but what does that have to do with my opnion of Mark Cuban? If there's anything my parents and grandparents taught me, it's that money is not what makes you an important person and it's very impolite to talk about it or flaunt it. You think Cuban personifies that type of attitude? The dude thinks because he's "made it" he can run the show and make up his own rules. That is the type of person that the "average fan" sees in himself? I don't think so. Fans like Mark Cuban because he's a one-ring circus act. If he was the owner of any other team, people in Dallas would hate him as fans in every other city hate Cuban. He has no class and no tact. He thinks because he's made a lot of money, he can just throw it around and act like a fool without people being able to tell him how stupid he looks. I don't think because he wears t-shirts and dresses sloppy that makes him comparable to the "average" person.

I brought up end zone dances because I was talking about the athletes in pro-sports across the board. You are right that players started acting cocky before Cuban, but he encourages it. He was against the NBA dress-code, why would anyone have a problem with asking athletes to look respectable every once in awhile? That's ridiculous.

Edited by SouthernMustang

Who cares what Cuban looks like SoutherMustang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look what he has brought to Dallas! The Mavs have become much more marketable, liked, respected, and talented since he purchased the team.

Edited by radiogreen

Guest JohnDenver

I could give a rats ass what other cities think of Cuban. He is good for Dallas, good for the Mavs and good for the NBA. He isn't the side show that you claim. He handles himself with class on most topics. He shoots from the hip with talking about officiating, but you are kidding yourself if you think he is the ONLY owner out there doing it.

1) When Cuban gets fined, he donates an equal amount to charity. He does this because it it he right thing to do *AND* he is trying to get the NBA to donate their portion as well. Is this flaunting money? I don't think so. The NBA shouldn't see fines as a bonus or a payday, they should give it to charity.

2) He has a "Fallen Heros" fund that donates to soldier's families that die in war.

3) My wife is in medical school locally. She ran into a patient who was going to die of cancer without a treatment... that treatment would render him sterile. She found it really sad that a young boy would never be able to have a child and his family was too poor to pay for a sperm bank to keep his sperm on ice until he is ready to have a kid. My wife called EVERY charity in the phone book trying to raise the money it would require to fund the sperm bank. Lance Armstrong, didn't even listen. ACS, didn't care. Jerry Jones? Right! She worked out a lower monthly payment with a sperm bank and they considered that charity, but the family still couldn't afford it. As a last resort she emailed Mark Cuban and told him what she had been through. My wife got an email back saying one thing: "Where do I send the check?" That sir, is class. She drove to Cuban's house and got an autographed ball from the team, hat, t-shirt, etc etc. She took it to the hospital and it made this kid's day. Cuban's assistant told her on the way out to not lose the number to Cuban in case she runs into more cases like this ... What an unclassy dude.

4) His team *always* puts their hands over their hearts for the national anthem -- even the non-nationals like Dirk, Mbenga and Diop. Finley started this tradition in 2001 and Cuban makes sure that his team continues to do it ..

5) Funny that you mention the Cubs for team support. I read in the Chicago Tribune about fans getting hopeful about the rumors of Cuban buying them .. they want to field a championship calibur team. Same goes for the Pirates.

6) He didn't support the dress code because he thought it was unfair to the lowest paid players (the ones most likely to be non-active and sitting at the games). Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell for example ... Cuban BOUGHT them suits with his own coin because he said they didn't really own suits like all the veterans. Sure, they make enough to buy suits, but going to Dillards and getting a suit for a 6'8" dude isn't as easy and cheap as you think. Cuban didn't think it was fair on his young players, so he compensated them. What a jerk.

7) Cuban doesn't want to stick it to his fans and supporters. He is pulling a profit... so he LOWERED ticket prices for next years season. Wow. An owner who doesn't raise prices when the demand is at its highest?! What a jerk.. I know this for a fact because I have been a season ticket holder for three or for years now. Next years tickets are $2 less more ticket for my seats.. that added up to a few hundred dollars savings in my pocket.

I could go on and on ... If that is what you call being hated, then I am all for it. I am glad he is on the side of the good guys.

Then you go on to trash all of Dallas as the base of bandwagoners. Your examples suck. You pick one of the most storied baseball cities in the nation as your example ... great analytical skillz.

The Mavs have sold out every game for the past five seasons. That is far from being band wagon. The Bulls no longer sell out every game .. and they are THE team. The Knicks don't sell out games either... they are historically avvid markets.

Dallas Cowboys have been crappy for 10+ years. They still sell out all their games.

The *TEXAS* Rangers aren't a *Dallas* team. Tom Hicks is a terrible owner. I grew up in Dallas and never thought of them as a Dallas team. Sure, they are sort of local, but it take an hour to get to the ballpark.

Hockey? There aren't MANY devout Hockey cities left ... It isn't a stain on Dallas to not be interested in Hockey. The NHL is in sad shape. I say pull the plug.

Edited by JohnDenver

Cuban's done a lot for the organization and has them to a point where they should've been 10 years ago, but make no mistake, this franchise was EXTREMELY lucky Nowitzki panned out. Nelson's job was hanging on by a thread before then and put himself under the knife by firing Clemons and trading the rest of the J's.

Ross Perot and Tardem Ussery made a huge mistake when they hired Jim Clemons over Larry Brown. Brown went on to take the 76ers to the NBA finals a few years later while Clemons/Nelson flushed a decade of lottery picks down the drain. I'm convinced Brown would've taken Jackson/Kid/Mashburn to the playoffs.

Anyway, I didn't like the fact Dallas stuck with the high screen when Haslem fouled out. The Heat were triple teaming Dirk each time out, Avery should've had him moving on the low block to free up Terry/Howard. Of course, I'm no NBA coach so what do I know? laugh.gif

I would say I'm a Mav's fan, but nowhere near what I was in the late 80's and throughout the 90's. I just like to watch good basketball.

Edited by Got5onIt