Tailgating for SMU vs. UNT

greengrrl

I think this may be an opportunity to help out two very needy athletic programs. There should be a barbeque cookoff before the game. Proceeds going to benefit the athletic departments of each respective University. It also could prove who makes the best parking lot barbeque in the greater DFW area. I think it could get a lot of people interested in these programs. This is just an idea. I was just wondering if anyone else could see the same opportunity.

I think this may be an opportunity to help out two very needy athletic programs.  There should be a barbeque cookoff before the game.  Proceeds going to benefit the athletic departments of each respective University.  It also could prove who makes the best parking lot barbeque in the greater DFW area.  I think it could get a lot of people interested in these programs.  This is just an idea.  I was just wondering if anyone else could see the same opportunity.

If you're talking about a North Texas vs SMU BBQ cookoff, keep in mind that the SMU fans will more than likely oursource Coopers out of Llano to do the cooking for them. rolleyes.gif

SMU people, cook for themselves? ohmy.gif

Regardless, a barbecue brisket or rib competition should be a no brainer. And to raise the money they should allow the competitors to sell their food. $2 a rib, $20 for a rack, $5 for a plate of brisket. The Mean Green Club would gain more by this than the 20% they are getting from their vendors.

By the way SoundMan, check your P.M.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I have a brand new stainless steel smoker that mounts floating off of the back of my truck via the hitch receiver, and it will be cooking. it will be right by the beermans mobile stage. you will be able to spot it by the large number of people smaking their momma's. yes folks my ribs are that good.

I have a brand new stainless steel smoker that mounts floating off of the back of my truck via the hitch receiver, and it will be cooking. it will be right by the beermans mobile stage. you will be able to spot it by the large number of people smaking their momma's. yes folks my ribs are that good.

I'd like to be the judge of that. SoundMan, JohnDenver, I believe we have a challenge!

Rick

I think this may be an opportunity to help out two very needy athletic programs.  There should be a barbeque cookoff before the game.  Proceeds going to benefit the athletic departments of each respective University.  It also could prove who makes the best parking lot barbeque in the greater DFW area.  I think it could get a lot of people interested in these programs.  This is just an idea.  I was just wondering if anyone else could see the same opportunity.

You are just itching for NCAA violations aren't you. Unless you clear it with the NCAA you can't give monies to any school club or athletic funded project, from a tailgate or athleticlly funded affair. And to do what you suggest you should have whats called a temp. small business licence.

You are just itching for NCAA violations aren't you. Unless you clear it with the NCAA you can't give monies to any school club or athletic funded project, from a tailgate or athleticlly funded affair. And to do what you suggest you should have whats called a temp. small business licence.

its not a school-sponsored event, its a fan sponsored event, so the NCAA thing doesnt apply. I dont know about the temp small business liscence, but if its not for profit, I dont see why that would be necessary either. Its basically a glorified bake-sale.

its not a school-sponsored event, its a fan sponsored event, so the NCAA thing doesnt apply. I dont know about the temp small business liscence, but if its not for profit, I dont see why that would be necessary either. Its basically a glorified bake-sale.

So the N. Texas SMU game isn't a NCAA sponsored event (Hummmmm did you all go NAIA or something). And anytime you anticipate selling over 750.00 at an event you need a temp small business liscence. Our tailgate is set and cleared for every game this year if we give back to the university and we have a small business liscence. Even though we don't sell we take donations up for the next tailgate and roughly get around 1100 dollars. The city and state doesn't see it that way so we just buy a small business liscence. Would rather have my house in order then the NCAA come knocking.

Edited by HerdOn

So the N. Texas SMU game isn't a NCAA sponsored event (Hummmmm did you all go NAIA or something). And anytime you anticipate selling over 750.00 at an event you need a temp small business liscence. Our tailgate is set and cleared for every game this year if we give back to the university and we have a small business liscence. Even though we don't sell we take donations up for the next tailgate and roughly get around 1100 dollars. The city and state doesn't see it that way so we just buy a small business liscence. Would rather have my house in order then the NCAA come knocking.

Let's say you have a groups of people (teams) raising money for ... say ... the American Cancer Society representing a geographic area (city). Each team goes out and raises money, whether through individual members or as a whole, but donates all the money raised back to the ACS. Let's also say there is a big gala where all the teams from this geographic area get together for a night and try and raise a whole bunch of money. These teams can raise money in any number of ways such as games, food, raffles, etc for a donation.

You're saying that each individual team must get a temporary small business lisence if they plan to raise more then $750 even though a much larger organization is the one that benefits from the money raised?

I have a hard believing that one of the largest not-for-profit organizations for cancer education, advocacy, and research has been breaking the law for years whenever it hosts a Relay for Life event in local communities across the nation.

I suspect the temporary business license is to help stop people from setting up "store fronts" along the side of the road or in a parking lot and selling something ... like shoes or watches ... for a profit.

I think our athletic department would let us know if there was a problem, which I don't think there is.