What was the first UNT game that you attended?

calvin

1993 vs. Nebraska in Lincoln, they killed us like 74-14 or something, but it was a great experience.

First game at Fouts same year vs. SW Missouri St.

Best game- 1997 vs. Texas Tech 30-27 I will never forget that game or the feeling afterward, maybe my anniversary, but never that game!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best game- 1997 vs. Texas Tech 30-27 I will never forget that game or the feeling afterward, maybe my anniversary, but never that game!

It's funny. That was one of those "where were you then" moments. I was listening to that game on the radio while on business in Houston. The Ramada I was staying at had the little clock radio deal, and I was supposed to be at some dinner or something with a friend, but I couldn't tear myself away from that broadcast. Glad I didn't. laugh.gif

---Replying to a couple of earlier posts...... I believe one of the most important dates in North Texas football was the break-up of the SWC. Until then the media in Texas totally ignored Texas colleges that were not in that conference. Now we actually get more press attention and I think it is getting better. I know we get a lot more respect now in West Texas. Before ithen it was pretty much-- North Who??? People out here are often shocked to learn North Texas is larger than Texas Tech or that our enrollement is about the same as Baylor, SMU and TCU...COMBINED.

---I see a lot more North Texas clothing walking around town than I did 5-10 years ago. This week I even had a person refer to North Texas as more of an academic school than an athletic one when she saw me with an NT shirt on this week.

---When in San Francisco on vacation I was wearing a NT sweatshirt (cold in summer evenings) several people commented about NT being a bowl game or asked if I was from Dallas. This would not have happened 10-15 years ago.

---We will get some more national attention by playing UT on opening day even if we get killed, after all they are the defending National Champion and no one expects us to do well... few teams would.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Mine was the 1971 game at the Cotton Bowl. I didn't remember the opponent (BYU, thanks letsgiveacheer), or anything about the game. I just remember taking a bus there from Denton and almost getting left in Dallas because we couldn't find our bus for the return trip. We ended up riding back on a bus with some fraternity guys and their dates, but I don't remember which one.

GMG!

9/24/94 vs Montana

We were down 17-21 and driving inside the Montana twenty when, on the last play of the game, a penalty was called on the Montana defense. We were given one more play with no time on the clock from around the 10 or 15 yard line to try to win it all. We fell short, but it was a great game nonetheless.

GO MEAN GREEN!!

9/24/94 vs Montana

We were down 17-21 and driving inside the Montana twenty when, on the last play of the game, a penalty was called on the Montana defense.  We were given one more play with no time on the clock from around the 10 or 15 yard line to try to win it all.  We fell short, but it was a great game nonetheless.

GO MEAN GREEN!!

Not my first game by far, but that was a great game, though disappointing at the end. But, we made up for it the next year with the Oregon State game by beating them at the finish.

1966 at Fouts NT vs. Texas Western...we beat Billy Hughes' miners barely. Most memorable early game...NT vs. New Mexico State in 1967 ( I think)... there were signs all over the NMSU stadium that read 'Beat the Buffalos"...they thought they were playing West Texas State. It ended up a tie...long drive for a tie.

Great topic, BTW......

Season opener, 1987, OU in Norman. On the sidelines as a student trainer. Amazing introduction to college football. Switzer, Jamelle Holloway, Keith Jackson...... wow. We blocked an extra point and returned it for a 2 point conversion in (I believe) the first year of that new rule, we may have been the first in the country. Lost 69-14. Wrote a paper about the experience in my freshman grammar & composition class and got an A. I wish I still had the paper!

Great topic, BTW......

Season opener, 1987, OU in Norman.  On the sidelines as a student trainer.  Amazing introduction to college football.  Switzer, Jamelle Holloway, Keith Jackson......  wow.  We blocked an extra point and returned it for a 2 point conversion in (I believe) the first year of that new rule, we may have been the first in the country.  Lost 69-14.  Wrote a paper about the experience in my freshman grammar & composition class and got an A.  I wish I still had the paper!

Also, wasn't that the game that Bron Beal broke his ankle early in the game, thus handing over the QBing to an 18 year old true freshman, Scott Davis? Beal would go on to win at least two SLC All Conference punter awards, correct?

Rick

first North Texas football game attended at Texas stadium vs UTA ... Hayden Fry's first game... we lost 31 to 7... 1973

Those first two Fry years were his worst. But as bad as they were we still managed to beat New Mexico St 27-7 in '73 and 24-19 in '74. I miss those Aggies!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick