Texas State ASG wants I-A football

BobcatKing

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched your playoff game on TV .....impresssed with your team.

Thanks

We had 26 seniors on last years team. Everyone in the SLC will be gunning for us this year. We have a number of talented players waiting to play. We have a QB that Louisiana Tech tried to recruit away (6'6" 230) from us that should start. Bradley George was a blue chipper in high school. He signed a pro baseball contract out of high school. We also have Chase Wasson back who started as our QB in 2004 when Barrick Nealy was injured.

I would love to see our two teams play again. Dennis Francione was our coach the last time we played the MeanGreen.

MeanGreen Fans,

It looks like we are serious about going I-A in football

http://star.txstate.edu/index.php?option=c...=1277&Itemid=50

Thanks for the info King. This news is way, way past due. If there is any way you can keep Bailiff for that long giving him that much time to build that program like he wants, then I think you will be very tough for opponents. TxSt has the size in enrollment, an on going change in overall attitude on campus and a new outlook on aggressive marketing along with the new name and logos to make your notch at the 1-A level.

I would hope for an annual matchup between the Mean Green and Bobcats. Just makes too much sense.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Thanks for the info King.  This news is way, way past due.  If there is any way you can keep Bailiff for that long giving him that much time to build that program like he wants, then I think you will be very tough for opponents.  TxSt has the size in enrollment, an on going change in overall attitude on campus and a new outlook on aggressive marketing along with the new name and logos to make your notch at the 1-A level. 

I would hope for an annual matchup between the Mean Green and Bobcats.  Just makes too much sense.

Rick

Thanks

David is a friend of mine. He is a class act. Coach B came back with aspirations and a plan to move Texas State to I-A. We would definitely bring a crowd to Denton. We had 4,000 attend the game at Baylor in 2004 and a good following at Texas A & M last year considering the hurricane.

To say that the student government passing a resolution is equitable about being serious about moving to 1A football is quite a leap.

If Texas State was REALLY serious about moving to 1A you'd see movement by the administration, the BOR, the athletic department et. al.

I truely believe that if Texas State started making any serious noise about 1A football the Longhorn mafia wouldn't be too happy with a start up 1A football program in their market.

To say that the student government passing a resolution is equitable about being serious about moving to 1A football is quite a leap.  

If Texas State was REALLY serious about moving to 1A you'd see movement by the administration,  the BOR,  the athletic department et. al.  

I truely believe that if Texas State started making any serious noise about 1A football the Longhorn mafia wouldn't be too happy with a start up 1A football program in their market.

I will tell you this. The ASG started the name change to Texas State. That happened. The BOR approved our move up to I-A in 2000. To my knowledge that approval is still in effect with one provision that we must seek membership in a I-A conference.

BTW. Texas has their own problems with UTSA wanting to start a football program at the I-A level. There has been several articles in the SA newspaper talking about a new SWC with UNT, TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, New Mexico State, Arkansas State, Texas State and UTSA as future members.

Edited by BobcatKing

Major Alarm Bell.

The students are talking about cutting the student fee if they don't go I-A. I must have missed the part where they talk about increasing the fee to pay the extra cost of I-A. The proposal as it stands is to merely starve the program they have if it doesn't go I-A.

Without money it doesn't happen.

Starting from the students doesn't suprise me. Some smart university presidents would do exactly that, getting the students to start the campaign in order to create a justification for the move.

Does it really take 5 years for a team to go from AA to A?

UNT had the big push one year and made it.

Is it a "been D-1A before" thing for them?

Ideally yes.

That way when you enter I-A all of your players were recruited to play I-A ball. The seniors last year at FIU and FAU and the seniors this year were recruited to be I-AA players their entire career. Transition by rule only takes two years.

I don't believe UT Austin cares squat about football movements at UT San Antonio or Texas State. They occupy such a special, dominating position that, really, nobody is any kind of recruiting threat or fan base threat or financial threat to them.

Texas State could switch football classifications and UT San Antonio could add football, and I really believe that UT Austin would barely even notice.

Now, they might take notice of a professional football franchise ever moves into the region....

I am for it. We need more in-state and regional opponents. Another thread was comparing attendence over the years and claiming we aren't making progress. One thing to consider is that some of those years we were a SouthLand member and that we had in-state opponents that would bring fans, at least more than most Sunbelt teams will bring. At present almost all fans that attend are UNT fans. Rival fans present also increase interest in the games. ULL (who has a pretty good sports history) is really our only nearby conference opponent at the moment, La- Monroe is fairly close but doesn't generate much fan interest and they don't even play us in basketball..

UT could care less if Tx-State becomes I-A. They are so big and successful that Tx-State being I-A will have no effect on them..... unlike SMU (jerks) who thinks we are a distraction from them especially if we compete against them.

I don't see any down-side to us, better attendence for us by playing them and more interest inside of the State and region because of closeness and close alumi contact. The only possible downside could be competiton for athletes but that could be offset by more interest which could pull some from other Texas I-A schools.

Unrelated but anyone get the College Data Warehouse website to load... I can't-- to check how many times we have played each other... I think Tex-State is our "most played opponent" in football.

I am for it.  We need more in-state and regional opponents.  Another thread was comparing attendence over the years and claiming we aren't making progress.  One thing to consider is that some of those years we were a SouthLand member and that we had in-state opponents that would bring fans, at least more than most Sunbelt teams will bring.  At present almost all fans that attend are UNT fans.  Rival fans present also increase interest in the games.  ULL (who has a pretty good sports history) is really our only nearby conference opponent at the moment, La- Monroe is fairly close but doesn't generate much fan interest and they don't even play us in basketball..

UT could care less if Tx-State becomes I-A.  They are so big and successful that Tx-State being I-A will have no effect on them..... unlike SMU (jerks) who thinks we are a distraction from them especially if we compete against them. 

I don't see any down-side to us, better attendence for us by playing them and more interest inside of  the State and region because of closeness and close alumi contact. The only possible downside could be competiton for athletes but that could be offset by more interest which could pull some from other Texas I-A schools.

Unrelated but anyone get the College Data Warehouse website  to load... I can't-- to check how many times we have played each other... I think Tex-State is our "most played opponent"  in football.

You are correct. We have played Texas State a total of 37 times. The last game was in 1994. Second place goes to New Mexico State with 33 games.

Third place goes to (and I had to look at it twice to believe it) SMU with 31 games.

Anyone want to know about our record against any other schools?

You are correct. We have played Texas State a total of 37 times. The last game was in 1994. Second place goes to New Mexico State with 33 games.

Third place goes to (and I had to look at it twice to believe it) SMU with 31 games.

Anyone want to know about our record against any other schools?

well, what is our record against those schools?

Against "Texas State" we are 28-6-3. We won our last game in 1994 27-14.

Against "New Mexico St" we are 22-9-2. I can't remember the score of the 2004 game....which we won.

Against  "SMU" we are 3-27-1. We lost our last game in 1992 28-14

thanks!

that SMU stat hurts. they have owned us. lets hope we can start the slow road back towards evening that out this year.

TxSt in IA sounds like a must... it can only be a benefit to the non mega schools like us (as opposed to UT).

UT is in a different "league" all together....

I like the idea of a new SWC... we all should! However, I can't see TCU wanting to go to any thing less than a BCS conference, and SMU, I say let them languish in whatever footbal purgatory their headed for....

I like the idea of a new SWC... we all should! However, I can't see TCU wanting to go to any thing less than a BCS conference, and SMU, I say let them languish in whatever footbal purgatory their headed for....

agreed. I dont see TCU leaving, although they have been conference whores the last 5 years. I think they are vying for a BCS spot somewhere, or hoping the MWC becomes a BCS conference.

And Im with you 100% on SMU...

thanks!

that SMU stat hurts. they have owned us. lets hope we can start the slow road back towards evening that out this year.

Yeah, but a ton of those NT-SMU games were pre-1940. Not that they don't count, but it's ancient history. The next two are the ones that will really matter.

As for San Marcos State, bring 'em. I'm sure they have an open door to the Sun Belt. They would have walked our dog last year.