Attendence just in...

andrewrozell

WOW!!! You could definitly hear them through the radio.  For a Thursday night game that's GREAT attendance.  I'd guess 5k would be possible for Saturday.  Can anyone who was there give a break down of the student/alumni ratio?

About half and half. Students filled three full sections on the east side and nearly four on the west with another two or three hundred in the southeast corner. Students really got into the game and were a factor. The community is beginning to come out more but it's still slower than we would like. Hope everyone will come out on Saturday.

WOW!!! You could definitly hear them through the radio.  For a Thursday night game that's GREAT attendance.  I'd guess 5k would be possible for Saturday.  Can anyone who was there give a break down of the student/alumni ratio?

It looked like there were more students then alum. Student side was pretty packed ... and loud and rowdy. The rest of the arena seemed sparsely packed, but got into the game as well. 4K seems very accurate.

Another fun game for the books. Here's hoping we haven't peaked yet in crowd size (and team momentum). Saturday could be a barn burner.

15 3's. Wow man ... wow.

I'm pumped about the potential attendance Saturday. I had to work late tonight and was sick that I missed that large of a crowd. I've made nine of the home games so far (including the ACU exhibition) and have been disappointed by the attendance so far this season, especially when we've got a great team that is exciting to watch.

Having the schedule front loaded with home games, many of which came during the student holiday break was the primary factor there - NOT lack of an entertaining product or some fault of the athletics department.

Everyone needs to make their best effort in this last Saturday home game to get to the Pit. South Alabama is talented and it should be a hell of a game. I'll be bringing a buddy of mine and hopefully my dad as well.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I WAS THERE AND NOTICE THE ALUMNI REALLY NEED TO COME IN GREATER NUMBERS. THE ALUMNI APATHY WAS PRETTY EVIDENT

I think its hard to get a big group of people who work 40-50 hours a week out to a 7pm game on a thursday night (and many if not most of our alumns fall in that category). Also many alums live out of the DFW area.

I expect a larger crowd Saturday. Looking forward to the game

YEAH THE STUDENTS REALLY SHOWED UP WELL FOR THE GAME. I WAS THERE AND NOTICE THE ALUMNI REALLY NEED TO COME IN GREATER NUMBERS. THE ALUMNI APATHY WAS PRETTY EVIDENT. I could see where it would be hard to market the Denton community.

Alumni apathy? Where were the students the past 10 home games? The alums were nearly the only ones in the stands in the past games. And don't give me the excuse they were gone for the holidays (what about the games before the holidays?). The DFW and Denton area students could travel back for a game just like alums have to do for every game. 31,000+ students, where are they??? mad.gif

Edited by NT80

Uhh, I thought the pit only held like 5 or 6,000 and the pit was still far from full. I don't think that number is right.

The super pit holds 10,000 I believe. And it was pretty full in several sections. I think the number is right. Only question I have is how many seats are in the bottom sections vs. the 5$ seats section. I think substantially more are in the bottom half. anyone know?

Uhh, I thought the pit only held like 5 or 6,000 and the pit was still far from full. I don't think that number is right.

The coliseum has 10,032 upholstered permanent theater-type seats plus eight positions for wheelchairs. The size of the arena is 200,492 square feet.In addition there are 39 work stations for the press.

Alumni apathy?  Where were the students the past 10 home games?  The alums were nearly the only ones in the stands in the past games.  And don't give me the excuse they were gone for the holidays (what about the games before the holidays?).  The DFW and Denton area students could travel back for a game just like alums have to do for every game.  31,000+ students, where are they???  mad.gif

NT80---Thanks for setting this poster straight. "Alumni apathy"? Give me a break.

over the christmas holiday if it weren't for the Alumni the pit would have been empty. Look at the football games. There always seems to be more alumns than students.---You are right NT80!! Where are the students. With 31,000 + students THE PIT AND FOUTS SHOULD BE FILLED FOR EVERY GAME.

---I have no idea what the Old "Snake Pit" (aka Mens Gym) held duing the 60's but it was almost always full on week-nights when we a member of the MVC. The enrollment was then only 13,000. It was not as good on weekend while as so many students went home to Dallas to see Mommy. At that time we were in the conference with a lot of top-ten teams ---Cincinnati, Louisville, Bradley, Drake, Wichita, New Mexico State and Memphis. Everyone of those mentioned named made the NCAA Final-Four in that era except Bradley and they had lost-out to Houston when they they were a power-house with Elvin Hayes.

---My favorite game ever.... when we defeated Cincinnatti at the "Snake Pit" (1965?) who had the National Champion only 2-3 years earler. The new building was refered to as the "Super Pit" for a while ... at least until Blakely left in late 70's. It was never as wild and crazy as the smaller "Snake Pit".

---We were the most hated destination in the MVC because of our crazy crowds. Cokes were sold without ice and lot of them often were thrown (and students thrown out) Cheerleaders often yelled give the ref a big hand after a "questionable" call. The Crowd responded with a "German style salute... ie. one hand" and a yelling. It was crazy and fun and I became a basketball fan... really hadn't been until then.

During that era UCLA was the best team but the MVC was the best conference... most ACC, SWC, and SEC teams were still using all-white players until the 70's... The SWC was just plain awful and could never win much if any in the NCAA tournment.

---That may have not been the most courtious thing to do but it was fun and it sure beats small crowds with them sitting on their hands.

---My favorite double player... John Love... a rather short guy that made played BB some and had a short career in the NFL as a receiver/returner for the Redskins He played quite a bit of basketball for NT...but not a BB starter.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---I have no idea what the Old "Snake Pit" (aka Mens Gym)  held duing the 60's but it was almost always full on week-nights when we a member of the MVC.  The enrollment was then only 13,000.  It was not as good on weekend while as so many students went home to Dallas to see Mommy.  At that time we were in the conference with a lot of top-ten teams ---Cincinnati, Louisville, Bradley, Drake, Wichita, New Mexico State and Memphis.  Everyone of those mentioned named made the NCAA Final-Four in that era except Bradley and they had lost-out  to Houston when they they were a power-house with Elvin Hayes.

---My favorite game ever.... when we defeated Cincinnatti at the "Snake Pit" (1965?) who had the National Champion only 2-3 years earler.  The new building was refered to as the "Super Pit"  for a while ... at least until Blakely left in late 70's.  It was never as wild and  crazy as the smaller "Snake Pit".

---We were the most hated destination in the MVC because of our crazy crowds.  Cokes were sold without  ice and lot of them often  were thrown (and students thrown out)  Cheerleaders often yelled give the ref a big hand after a "questionable"  call.    The Crowd responded with a "German style salute... ie. one hand" and a yelling.  It was crazy and fun and I became a basketball fan... really hadn't been until then.

If you went to the old Pit once, you were addicted. There was no better basketball atmosphere around. The Pit held up to 4,400 if you really packed it in and there were many times I saw it packed. My favorite game was the Louisville game pitting Wes Unseld against our Willie Davis. Willie held his own. I remember one fan holding a sign reading "nobody can dunk our Willie".

---That may have not been the most courtious thing to do but it was fun and it sure beats small crowds with them sitting on their hands.

---My favorite double player... John Love... a rather short guy that made played BB some and had a short career in the NFL as a receiver/returner for the Redskins  He played quite a bit of basketball for NT...but  not a BB starter.

---I have no idea what the Old "Snake Pit" (aka Mens Gym)  held duing the 60's but it was almost always full on week-nights when we a member of the MVC.  The enrollment was then only 13,000.  It was not as good on weekend while as so many students went home to Dallas to see Mommy.  At that time we were in the conference with a lot of top-ten teams ---Cincinnati, Louisville, Bradley, Drake, Wichita, New Mexico State and Memphis.  Everyone of those mentioned named made the NCAA Final-Four in that era except Bradley and they had lost-out  to Houston when they they were a power-house with Elvin Hayes.

---My favorite game ever.... when we defeated Cincinnatti at the "Snake Pit" (1965?) who had the National Champion only 2-3 years earler.  The new building was refered to as the "Super Pit"  for a while ... at least until Blakely left in late 70's.  It was never as wild and  crazy as the smaller "Snake Pit".

---We were the most hated destination in the MVC because of our crazy crowds.  Cokes were sold without  ice and lot of them often  were thrown (and students thrown out)  Cheerleaders often yelled give the ref a big hand after a "questionable"  call.    The Crowd responded with a "German style salute... ie. one hand" and a yelling.  It was crazy and fun and I became a basketball fan... really hadn't been until then.

If

---My favorite double player... John Love... a rather short guy that made played BB some and had a short career in the NFL as a receiver/returner for the Redskins  He played quite a bit of basketball for NT...but  not a BB starter.

you went to the old Pit once, you were addicted. There was no better basketball atmosphere around. The Pit held up to 4,400 if you really packed it in and there were many times I saw it packed. My favorite game was the Louisville game pitting Wes Unseld against our Willie Davis. Willie held his own. I remember one fan holding a sign reading "nobody can dunk our Willie".

NT80---Thanks for setting this poster straight.  "Alumni apathy"? Give me a break.

over the christmas holiday if it weren't for the Alumni the pit would have been empty.  Look at the football games.  There always seems to be more alumns than students.---You are right NT80!!  Where are the students.  With 31,000 + students THE PIT AND FOUTS SHOULD BE FILLED FOR EVERY GAME.

Talking about this is like beating a dead freakin horse. You don't want to get into an argument about this because you can't win, no matter what side you are on.

There is no "setting a poster straight" on this topic. Attendance sucks across the board when you look at how many students and alumni are in the metroplex. Those 31k students probably are just as busy as the 100k+ alumns who live in the metroplex.

With 31k+ students the pit and fouts could be filled every game, and then there would be no space for you. Or you and all the other alumns in the metroplex could make it out and then there would be no space for the 31k+ students. There is no arguing this topic, because it is stupid and down right rediculous to argue from one side or the other. And THAT is "setting the record straight."

And, if you look at top 25 football games across the nation at other schools, I think you will find more alumns at games than students. Don't take offense to any of the comments about alumn v. students, you'd think that poster kicked your dog or something. If you were there, then he probably wasn't talking about you.

you went to the old Pit once, you were addicted. There was no better basketball atmosphere around. The Pit held up to 4,400 if you really packed it in and there were many times I saw it packed. My favorite game was the Louisville game pitting Wes Unseld against our Willie Davis. Willie held his own. I remember one fan holding a sign reading "nobody can dunk our Willie".

----I was sitting next to him.... It actually said --"No-body can STUFF our Willie".. The guy tht made it lived on my floor at College Inn and we walked to the game together (several of us). The maker ( Denis ??? last name forgotten at the monment) was actually a Canadian citizen from Alberta. It was in response to a comment Wes Unseld* had made earlier to the national media that week (they were rated in the top 5 ) ... It is obvious that you were there.... you would have never known about that sign.... we sat in a low seat near one of the baskets, the right side as the player saw it..

*future NBA hall of Fame player and NBA coach.

I can't believe that act has been remembered about 40 years later by someone not involved in it. We had a little bit of trouble getting it in and part of the time I was one of the people help hold the sign. That kind of stiff was not done much then so I guess is why you remember it.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

And, if you look at top 25 football games across the nation at other schools, I think you will find more alumns at games than students.  Don't take offense to any of the comments about alumn v. students, you'd think that poster kicked your dog or something.  If you were there, then he probably wasn't talking about you.

I don't think I would be safe for anyone to kick my dog.

I just get a little agitated when a student posts about apathy, I've seen apathy at NT for over 25 years. Anyway thanks for setting the record straight.

the fact of the matter is that I would bet there is atleast 31,000 UNT alumni scattered about. true they all don't live in denton, but given that the students showed up at a big game, they have to get credit for that. also, alum making it out over the break was a great service to the team as well. what we need to realize is that selling out that pit is doable, and we should try saturday for record attendence.