NT Hall of Famers

shaft

Brad Kassell

Patrick Cobbs

May not get their numbers retired, but I think they'll definitely make the Mean Green Hall of Fame. I think JaMario has a great chance of being on that list as well, but it will depend on how well he does this season.

Can't really speculate on how long it will take them to get recognized, since I'm not really sure what all criteria the Athletics Department uses.

I am opposed to retiring numbers. We (and any other team for that matter) should expect to have great players. What would happen if we got an opportunity to sign a really great running back, but he wanted #28 (Abner Haynes). That might be far fetched, but I'd hate to lose a top recruit to Baylor or Tulsa just because we couldn't hook him up with his favorite number.

GO MEAN GREEN

I am opposed to retiring numbers.  We (and any other team for that matter) should expect to have great players.  What would happen if we got an opportunity to sign a really great running back, but he wanted #28 (Abner Haynes).  That might be far fetched, but I'd hate to lose a top recruit to Baylor or Tulsa just because we couldn't hook him up with his favorite number.

GO MEAN GREEN

Issue him 28.1? unsure.gif

If your going to loose a recruit over a number he's a head case and you don't want him anyway. I mean really, someone to juvinile to respect the tradition and efforts of those that have come before them. Not to mention every school does this.

Back to the thread:

I think there is case to be made for Scott Hall.

If your going to loose a recruit over a number he's a head case and you don't want him anyway.  I mean really, someone to juvinile to respect the tradition and efforts of those that have come before them.  Not to mention every school does this.

Back to the thread:

I think there is case to be made for Scott Hall.

Some of the most superstitious people in the world are athletes/coaches/fans. They can also be the most egotistical.

I would have been very happy to un-retire Ray Renfro's number if his grandson had been even remotely interested in attending NT. Of course the latest Renfro wore #20 in HS.

But I bet it would have gotten his attention if the idea had even been pitched to him. wink.gif

Some of the most superstitious people in the world are athletes/coaches/fans. They can also be the most egotistical.

I would have been very happy to un-retire Ray Renfro's number if his grandson had been even remotely interested in attending NT. Of course the latest Renfro wore #20 in HS.

But I bet it would have gotten his attention if the idea had even been pitched to him.  wink.gif

Clint Renfro of Southlake Carroll wore Number 19.

He committed to the frogs, says wants to keep his family name at the top of the record books...and run track

But I bet it would have gotten his attention if the idea had even been pitched to him.  wink.gif

---Football requires certain positions to wear only certain numbers.... plus College teams have huge rosters. Retiring numbers is next to impossible in college or NFL football because those numbers will be needed in future years.. Baseball and basketball does retire numbers but usually then it is only for some Hall of Fame members plus there is no number/position requirement in baseball or basketball...

Brandon Kennedy... brought the most recognition to the Mean Green since Mean Joe Greene.

Disagree--- he did not make the NFL.... we have had several make the NFL and play for years including J.T. Smith and Beasley Reece who was in the NFL for a about dozen years for the Cowboys, Giants, and Tampa bay until the late 1980's. He is now a NFL announcer. We heard those guys and NT mentioned weekly on NFL broadcasts for years. For the younger members on the board that may appear to be true [Kennedy] but not to we "older" ones.

I am assumming you are refering to athletics.... there are a lot of non-athletic North Texas grads that appear several "fields" as well. The difference there is their college is not mentioned so much. [Dr. Phil for one]

Disagree--- he did not make the NFL.... we have had several make the NFL and play for years including J.T. Smith and Beasley Reece who was in the NFL for a about dozen years for the Cowboys, Giants, and Tampa bay until the late 1980's.  He is now a NFL announcer.  We heard those guys and NT  mentioned weekly on NFL broadcasts for years.  For the younger members on the board that may appear to be true [Kennedy]  but not to we "older" ones.

Why should a players performance outside NT impact their place in the "NT hall of fame?"

Why should a players performance outside NT impact their place in the "NT hall of fame?"

We don't understand each other.... What someone does away from UNT should very little effect on a NT Hall of Fame selection......But you stated........

[ "Brandon Kennedy... brought the most recognition to the Mean Green since Mean Joe Greene.']

...nothing was said about while he was at North Texas.