UNT Ladys 62 New Orleans 33

MeanGreen61

Ladys run over New Orleans. Road win !

Mean Green Hammer Privateers 62-33 In Sun Belt Opener

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 01/05/2006

WESTWEGO, La. (1/5/06) – A stifling defense powered the North Texas women’s basketball team past the New Orleans Privateers and to their fourth straight win 62-33 from the Alario Center. The 33 points allowed by North Texas (11-2, 1-0) is a school record for fewest points allowed in a game, breaking the previous record of 34 set on January 24, 2002.

“I wasn’t very pleased with the way that we started the game because I thought that we came out flat, but I was happy with the way our defense was able to take charge of the game for us” said North Texas head coach Tina Slinker.

Leading 24-18 with three minutes left in the first half, North Texas closed with an 8-0 run capped off by Erika Bobo’s half court shot at the buzzer to give the Mean Green a 32-18 lead at the half. Bobo’s heroics were set when Mian Williams pulled down a rebound with five seconds left and found Bobo who raced up the floor and drilled the shot as the horn was sounding.

North Texas extended their lead to 49-26 eight minutes into the second half and never looked back. The Mean Green defense then flexed its muscle, holding the Privateers (2-11, 0-1) scoreless for the next 10:39 and opening up a 33 point lead at 61-28.

North Texas held the Privateers to 17 percent shooting for the game and forced 20 turnovers.

Bobo led North Texas with 11 points and Williams reached double figures with 10 points for the fourth straight game.

“I’m pleased with this win but I’m even more excited about our next game and I’m really anxious to see how we respond against Lafayette” Slinker said.

The Mean Green will face Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday in a showdown between the top two teams in the Sun Belt Conference West Division.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I'm really sad I had to miss a game this good tonight. It looks like if the women had played at home and the men away we would have still seen an incredible game. I think Slinker wants to keep her job. wink.gif

If you havn't come out and watched the women please do they have a truely incredible team this year that could do some great things.