much more school spirit at

gamebreaker

im not so sure whats so bad about dropping to 1AA and actually winning (well maybe) and actually having people get excited again. NT games are extremely boring except for the the one game every couple of years. our stadium is a poor high school stadium, i would much rather play at tx-state's stadium. why does everyone want to keep getting killed by everyone outside of the sunbelt each year?? yeah we won 4 league titles...big deal, so could any other school outside our conference. we are NEVER going to get the big recruits....sorry, just to many top programs in texas. how can anyone disagree with this???

im not so sure whats so bad about dropping to 1AA and actually winning (well maybe) and actually having people get excited again. NT games are extremely boring except for the the one game every couple of years. our stadium is a poor high school stadium, i would much rather play at tx-state's stadium. why does everyone want to keep getting killed by everyone outside of the sunbelt each year?? yeah we won 4 league titles...big deal, so could any other school outside our conference. we are NEVER going to get the big recruits....sorry, just to many top programs in texas. how can anyone disagree with this???

Simple, simple, simple. Been there. Done that. It's not where we want to be ever. I'd rather drop football then to go back to 1-AA.

How can you agree with this. How many people who were there when we changed from 1-A to 1-AA and back, who have stated it sucked, how many will it take to convince you of that? When did you start to follow NT?, last year?

Rick

our stadium is a poor high school stadium, i would much rather play at tx-state's stadium.

You would rather have a 14,000 seat stadium than a 30,500 seat stadium? Our attendance average for a 2-9 season is larger than how many TSSM's stadium seats. There are actually high school stadiums that seat more than TSSM's stadium. You have to be either joking about this or have some sort of mental handicap. If the later is the case then I apologize in advance.

Give up on life while you're at it. blink.gif

You're just looking for an excuse to use your saturdays floating down the river and drinking bud lite.

Texas State has nothing on us when it comes to game day experience. You (or anyone else on the Texas State Love Train) have apparently never been to a Texas State game. During the year, nobody goes to the games. The ONLY reason anyone was in the stands was because it was a playoff game. Next year, after all these seniors graduate, they will be a .500 team in their 1aa conference. Then all of their fans will be forced to go back to studying for their "How to Keep River Water Out of an Open Can: 101" finals while wearing their UT hats wondering what might have been if they had been accepted.

Some quick history as I remember it.

Before North Texas was demoted to 1-AA, there WAS no 1-AA. At that time, football was classified just like basketball ( div. 1, div.2, etc).

The NCAA set out some standards (stadium size, average attendance) that we couldn't meet. I was at the meeting, held in the then Mean Green locker room, where all this was aired. Fred Pole was the VP for external affairs at the time. He answered questions and there was no choice.

North Texas did not choose to drop to 1-AA. The NCAA made that decision for us.

We had some success in 1-AA and we were number 1 in the nation for several weeks back in 1988 or so. But still, we were a page 2 or 3 team.

I agree with those that say a 32,000 student university should be forever a top 50 team.

But the point of this post; no one at North Texas chose to become 1-AA. I've never heard the thing about Andy Everest losing paperwork. I don't think that is true.

Also, 1-A and 1-AA are football only terms. There are no 1-A or 1-AA basketball teams.

But the point of this post;  no one at North Texas chose to become 1-AA.  I've never heard the thing about Andy Everest losing paperwork.  I don't think that is true.

I've heard from more than one say we could have stayed in 1-A, like La Tech and other smaller schools that never dropped down, but the administration muffed it. We were using Texas Stadium as a designated home field and I'm not sure there was an attendance requirement back then. Regardless, we dropped down, and have been paying the price ever since. We were on the level of Cincy, Memphis, Tulsa, Louisville, and USM before the drop to 1-AA.

Edited by NT80

I wouldn't get too excited about 15,000 for a TSU playoff game. SFA was getting 17,000 at home during their playoff runs in the 1990's - but once they came back down to earth, I'm sure that their typical attendance did as well.

Just wait until you see our attendance next year for SMU - two teams that are not that great will draw close to 30,000 at Fouts.

I've heard from more than one say we could have stayed in 1-A, like La Tech and other smaller schools that never dropped down, but the administration muffed it.   We were using Texas Stadium as a designated home field and I'm not sure there was an attendance requirement back then.   Regardless, we dropped down, and have been paying the price ever since.   We were on the level of Cincy, Memphis, Tulsa, Louisville, and USM before the drop to 1-AA.

I remember there was something about the staduim, but I can't remember the exact details anymore. I know the athletic department would not have dropped down if it did not have to. The faculty were in one of their periodic "football hurts academics" moods, so they were in favor of the drop down.

But, I'm pretty sure the NCAA forced us, not that we chose to go.

And La Tech did drop down to 1AA for a while. U La La did not which makes me think it had something to do with stadium size.

I've seem something from Arkstate fan a while back that explained the creation of 1AA, but I haven't seen it lately.

Edited by VideoEagle

Thanks to Arkstate fan, I have the answer on NT's move to purgatory. We were forced down, but could have come back in '83, but we didn't!

I-AA was created in 1978. After the 1981 season the rules were changed and UNT was forced to move down. With the schedule they had in 1982, UNT could have rejoined in 1983 if the stadium had been expanded and the minimum attendance had been met in 1982.