For all of you Dickey huggers....

GoMeanGreen1999

We have never had many listed in either the state or local 100. It may be because DD asks them not to mention NT, or because we actually may not be in the hunt for them. Only DD knows. It seems as though in the past few years we have really focused on Ok. and east Texas. I guess we will see here in a few weeks once the coaches really get out on the recruiting trail. I would expect to see a lot more MGR recruiting reports in the next month.

We have never had many listed in either the state or local 100. It may be because DD asks them not to mention NT, or because we actually may not be in the hunt for them. Only DD knows. It seems as though in the past few years we have really focused on Ok. and east Texas. I guess we will see here in a few weeks once the coaches really get out on the recruiting trail. I would expect to see a lot more MGR recruiting reports in the next month.

Why not focus on talent in our own backyard? It's PATHETIC NT can't recruit Denton, Dallas, & Ft.Worth.

I've followed North Texas football recruiting for approx. 30 years now. NT averaged 10-15 kids annually listing the Mean Green. This, of course, was pre-Darrell Dickey. I don't know why he would attempt to keep this information out of the press.

Why be so defensive instead of proactive in selling this program. These kids have an opportunity to play early, earn all-conference honors and set all-time school records. Since so many will return to the metroplex once their playing days are over, why not get a head start with job opportunities and connections while playing at North Texas.

The gap today is so large between our players and those of CUSA, Mountain West, Big 12 and others, that those schools may rethink trying to sign someone that has committed UNT.

If I'm a D1 prospect with several offers, why would I be interested in this program? (When no others kids appear to be interested) Perception is everything to the kids, parents, coaches and friends. This practice, if true, is stupid and may deter the signing of others. I would rather build on the momentum of a top pledge by spreading this information (unofficially) to all other kids.

A review of the actually signing classes (Under Dickey) will validate the fact that we are doing a horrible job in the metroplex. The marginal area players that actually show up on tour roster (from the metroplex) actually walk on.

If we are going to put an undisciplined team on the field, with brushes with the law and/or academic concerns, we should at least recruit better athletes of this type.

A question for Cooley,

I believe it was either Charlie Browns little brother, or the high rated QB who we have shown interest in Oklahoma that someone has been posting a link here on his progress, but whoever it was, the recruit stated that DD offered him upfront but told him that he would get other offers. I have heard of other recruits in the past mention this has happened to them as well. Can you think of the mind set as to why our coach would tell a kid this? Could it be that DD hopes to build a respectfull bond by trying to offer a kid early, so that if the kid doesn't hear back from the other competing schools, he at least knows that NT was "there for them from the beginning"? I know Patrick Cobbs mentioned this as well as Brandon Kennedy and Jamario. That one reason they chose NT was because "North Texas wanted me from the beginning".

Although, over the years I have made it a point to ask our players and their families why they chose NT. Nearly every one of them stated playing time and the chance to win was the deciding factor.

I too agree that our recruiting in the DFWDenton area has been pitiful. If you go watch enough of the HS playoffs it is obvious to see how plentifull the talent pool here is.

Rick

I too agree that our recruiting in the DFWDenton area has been pitiful.  If you go watch enough of the HS playoffs it is obvious to see how plentifull the talent pool here is. 

Rick

Every single college football team I watch has at least 1 or 2 players from the metroplex, and about 4 or 5 from Texas. Our recruiting is pitiful in the DFW area, I agree, but when the whole nation grabs a handful of these players it's obvious why we only get a few as well.

The trouble is EVERYONE in the nation watches plenty of the HS playoffs here and sees that it is plentiful. Unless you're a UT, A&M, Tech, or OU, you're only going to get a few. It usually makes no difference if they're in our own backyard or not. The fact that these kids play in the metroplex makes it very easy for them to get offers to BIGXII schools when they otherwise probably wouldn't.

Most of the kids on our team now, I would consider being in our backyard.