19K+ At Game

El Paso Eagle

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who bitch about fan support. Over 19K for the way the season is going is great. Now it's time for the Coaches/AD to improve the product on the field

Good start was bringing in Phillips, now just need Defense to step it up, good job on turnovers but still allowing the other team to move the ball to much, need to get away from this bend but don't break mentality.

Very nice attn. What is the largest to see a HC game?

I believe it was a H/C game against Stephen F. Austin (over 20,000 real attendance) either the year Corky Nelson got fired or maybe the year before.

Of course, 15 years ago, we had about 8,000 less NT students and Denton County was a bit over 250,000 population. Now we are around 32,000 enrollment at NT and (as another alum pointed out to me) there are more who presently live in Denton County (approx. 560,000) than the entire state of Wyoming.

One might then assume that a larger NT student enrollment and a Denton County over twice the population as it was when Corky Nelson was around might eventually translate to larger crowds no matter what level the opponent we have or how low (in the 100's) they are ranked in the Sagerin ratings.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I believe it was a H/C game against Stephen F. Austin (over 20,000 real attendance) either the year Corky Nelson got fired or maybe the year before.

Of course, 15 years ago, we had about 8,000 less NT students and Denton County was a bit over 250,000 population.  Now we are around 32,000 enrollment at NT and (as another alum pointed out to me) there are more who presently live in Denton County (approx. 560,000) than the entire state of Wyoming. 

One might then assume that a larger NT student enrollment and a Denton County almost twice the population as it was when Corky Nelson was around might eventually translate to larger crowds no matter what level the opponent we have or how low they are ranked they in the Saegerin (sp?) ratings.

I believe there was quite a bit of fudge factor in the attendance number tonight.

There was no one in the end-zone stands and the student and the alumni side were not full. Most likely 15.000 -16,000 at best.

Maybe it was new math, or maybe they figured out how to count the people who stay in the parking lot and tailgate the entire game.

Hey, I swear KingDL1 & I had no collusion in those exact same attendance figures.  We were just thinking the same things & hit enter back to back.

Guess great minds think alike!

I thought about you when I saw those numbers. Yes, for the first time, I think we have fudged a bit on the numbers. On the whole, I still believe we use BIS's for numbers. Not sure what the deal was tonight though.

I was very impressed with attendance considering all of the disappointing losses this season. If we just had a .500 type winning percentage, I believe that we would of had a solid 20K in Fouts. To me that is AMAZING! To those of us that have been following the Green for a couple of decades or more, it's pretty obvious that the people are really starting to get behind the MeanGreen! It's just very unfortunate that we had to pick this year to have such a losing team! With all of the pre-season press, this could of been a break through year as far as fan support is concerned. I certainly hope that we can get some kind of follow through next season. BTW, I'm still pissed that Phillips didn't play the entire game. For a true freshman, he sure has shown me a lot! That last interception was certainly not his fault.

Do not know if there were 19K tickets sold, obviously not 19k in actual attendence. Perhaps, NT is finally getting wise and doing what 90% of the teams that don't sell out do, and reporting higher numbers than actual attendence. Compared to some other local college attendence reported at games I've seen, I'd say NT is still very conservative.

Great game atmosphere and a good game, the team fought hard. No complaints about this game.

I was very impressed with attendance last night....Phillips needs to play the entire gam next week. I want to see what he can do from start to finish. He is much more poised than Meager and has a much stronger arm. He even overthrew Quinn acouple of times, unlike Meager. Maybe its just me but the dynamics of the game changes when he in. You look at the sidelines and the players look like they have a chance of winning the game when he is in there...and I feel the same way. He is a playmaker in my opinion.

I hated the fact that Dickey snuck in Meager for a series in the second half right when it seemed that there was some type of momentum being built for NT.

19,000 is tickets scanned, not butts in seats. I had all four of my tickets scanned, a gentleman in front of me had 11 in hand and had them all scanned. There is nothing wrong with this. It shows actual tickets sold and shows growth in our support base. Still, to have 15,000 or about that, show up for a 2-7 team speaks volumes about our game day experience, and you can thank the man, RV for that one.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

19,000 is tickets scanned, not butts in seats.  I had all four of my tickets scanned, a gentleman in front of me had 11 in hand and had them all scanned.  There is nothing wrong with this.  It shows actual tickets sold and shows growth in our support base.  Still, to have 15,000 or about that, show up for a 2-7 team speaks volumes about our game day experience, and you can thank the man, RV for that one.

Rick

We had all 18 of ours used or scanned but we do that every game.

No doubt the turn out was better than I expected. Great weather and the best tailgating has to help!

Edited by KingDL1

FFR, I agree with you on RV's pro-active efforts under difficult circumstances. I just wish he had more control or autonomy and if that would be the case, I think he would have been and would (today) be even more effective. sad.gif

IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH SBC MEDIOCRITY, NO OOC WINS, PAST ANNUAL BOWL LOSSES TO CUSA'S 4'TH PLACE TEAM AND IN GENERAL..........STATUS QUO, THEN DON'T READ THE REST OF THIS...

BUT...

One concern that a long time UNT fan and fellow alum of ours expressed to me just yesterday was how we at NT are (sadly) beginning to find satisfaction with only meeting the required 15K per game minimum average; and that even in the 2004 season after 3 bowl games in a row (with last years barely above 15K per game average) and now this year.

He the pointed out to me that it was the acceptance of this mediocrity that seems to be breeding (with warp speed) among way too many at NT. He had an answer on how to solve much of this as far as football was concerned, but I told him that our (seemed) "blind leading the blind" acceptance of mediocrity might possibly even shoot that down (for now), that is, unless NT officials will just sit down, start looking at the real facts as they are happening in the athletic environment we're in, ie, the SBC (and then start projecting what may be some not so good upcoming figure$).

The NT powers that be might also want to now start comparing our recruiting efforts to those we previously thought we were even with, ie, TU and La Tech; and now even some in the Sun Belt? sad.gif Have any of campus decision makers even thought of going outside our campus to an unbiased college football expert to get their opinion on what they see to be happening at NT with the conference we are in? They will surely never find that among many on this board as there seems to be a weekly 180 degree vascillation of opinion on the direction of our football program and that based too many times with the mood of the moment (or if DD spoke to or was nice to a GMG.com poster at some recent time or another). laugh.gif

Then he pointed out to me another "tell-tell" sign with our acceptance of this "just gettting by with the bare minimum" mentality at NT is how some alums are even excited with how we played, uh, the "University of Louisiana-Monroe" a close game at our own Homecoming. huh.gif

He pointed out to me just how low the ULM Indians were ranked in Jeff Sagarin's rating system (with some in NCAA 1-AA now ranked above both ULM and NT and some in both our former conference--the mighty 1-AA Southland Conference). Then he added just how low our entire conference is ranked compared to others not classified at the NCAA D1-A level. BTW, the lowly ranked ULM Indians play for the SBC football championship at ULaLa next Saturday. How much bad ink and laughs will this Lafayette Bowl game bring everyone connected in the SBC; you know, when they see a composite W/L record of all the teams who are in it? blink.gif Amazing how one coach has been able to excel as long as the rest of the SBC stayed (with lack of a better word)...p-a-t-h-e-t-i-c <>*<> I defer to 2005 SBC team's W/L records as recent further proof of that.

GOOD GRIEF! Then our fellow NT alum pointed out these facts about the team who beat us last night when he said: "You know, we are talking about a football program that pays its head football coach (Weatherby) about $60,000 or so a year, a program with about a $4 million athletic budget and a program that was within a gnat's whisker of dropping football 3 or 4 years ago.

OUR FELLOW NT EX WAS JUST LIKE A BIRD DOG AS HE JUST KEPT ON A-POINTIN': Well, he then................pointed out to me that ULM was even now showing up in recent Dallas Morning News Area Top 100 list and the University of North Texas was not. huh.gif He even offerred up a new theory pointing out to me that maybe the reason DD and gang don't reveal who we are recruiting annually is that they don't won't our NT alums & fans to know how schools like Tulsa University and Lousiana Tech (who we assumed we were even the last 4 years until they dramatically showed us other-wise); anyway, he pointed out just how those 2 schools (and others) have been kicking our butts on the recruiting trail each of the last 4 years (and even in our own DFW backyard. mad.gif

As much as I wanted to disagree with what our fellow NT alum was saying--I couldn't. sad.gif NOTE: I told him we still had some darn good football players in Mean Green Country, he agreed but he also pointed out to me that they just didn't have enough surrounding them (due to now obvious recruiting shortfalls the last 4 years); that is, they didn't have enough to complement their excellent talents as to help them become successful in what Jeff Sagarin says is a very low ranked NCAA D1-A Sun Belt Conference.

Finally, ohmy.gif he pointed out to me that way too many NT alums will just go along for the ride, bury their heads in the sand, and just buy into all this mediocrity or status quo business. Still he was most concerned how he felt many of our NT elect seem to think DD will be just hunky dory as long as he gets NT football (only) back to the level of SBC competition. We both even laughed at those now pushing for WAC membership knowing that we would have finished toward the bottom of the WAC this year; you know, right along with their newest members who came from, uh, just which "NCAA 1-A" conference? wink.gif

Anyone else out there think outsiders, sports media types, would-be recruits (and some NT coaches who know they don't really have to do much at NT to be successful and become long time employees) will just start calling.............. all of us who actually support that modus operendi in Mean Green Country, uh..... Stepford Eagles?!?! huh.gif

Question? What did our fellow NT Ex say that was not incorrect? sad.gif

"If you set low goals, you will surely meet them." (Dr. Norman V. Peale)

GOD BLESS TEXAS...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think we are on the same side, I get as many friends to come to the games as possible, but they just don't care or think it won't be any fun.

I finally got them to go to a basketball game, they had a great time and couldn't wait for the next home game. But it is the attitude of no caring or having "better" things to do that really makes me mad. The fact that most people won't even give it a chance.

However, I think a lot of students gave this football team a chance, if they come back next year will be the big question.