An unbiased fan to the N Texas/FAU game

Bassulike

Please bear with me because this is a long post.

I was at Dolphins Stadium for the North Texas/FAU game and wanted to give you my observations of the game.

First of all, I went to UF and am a huge Gator fan, but my friends and I decided to go to the game (since it's a lot closer to Gainesville), to support the local FAU team.

If any of you were at the game or on the N. Texas team, you would've recognized that we were on the 50 yard line, being very vocal to some of the N. Texas players. We were just having a lot of fun on a Sat. afternoon in an empty stadium. Let me also say, that my post is not a FLAME to anyone at N. Texas at all. In fact, I will now be following your team, because of I really liked your come back effort and it shows that the Mean Green have plenty of heart.

Observations -

1. Even though your starting qb (Meager, I believe) was knocked out of the game, he never really seemed to want to communicate with his teammates. He always managed to sit alone and not talk to anyone. When he got hit and taken out of the game (I believe maybe a concussion), he didn't seem to support his team or the second string qb (phillips) at all, especially when they were coming back. Maybe, the concussion didn't help, I'm not sure.

2. Matt Phillips, looked awesome. He looked like he was supporting the team, talking to his OL and WR's, etc. He was slinging the ball around like a great STARTING qb. I was impressed. In fact, I didn't know he was a qb, and we were harassing him a littlbe bit not knowing he would almost be the savior of the game. Again, our harassment wasn't anything personal, it was in good fun.

3. Your kicker was impressive. When I first saw him miss an extra point, I was thinking this guy is terrible. Then when he made a 47 yarder w/ room to spare, and then hit another bomb, that just hit the uprights to tie the game, I came away stunned. This kid can make it in the NFL, no problem.

4. TJ Covington (I don't know his initials, but TJ sounds close) was furious at something and was throwing his helmet and was pissed off at something or someone, I don't know.

5. On a lighter note, I noticed that the cheerleaders never cheered (maybe twice, the whole game). They kept going back and forth getting water, to which we ripped into them for that. In fact, the male cheerleader got injured. He seemed to be the only one who cared, I'm not sure though.

I also noticed someone put up a FireDarrelldickey.com website. We, Gator Fans, know this well, when FireRonzook.com became a huge deal with our team.

I've looked at your site and the player rosters and believe, that many players are young and you have an impressive team coming back. Even though, I was kind of pulling for FAU (local team), I really was impressed with North Texas and now consider myself kind of a fan. Lastly, even though our group was chanting OVERRATED to N. Texas' bench, I truly wish you the best of luck in the future. Again, this post is not a FLAME...My friends might even by a Mean Grean T-shirt in the near future. Best of Luck in the future.

Andy

1.  Even though your starting qb (Meager, I believe) was knocked out of the game, he never really seemed to want to communicate with his teammates.  He always managed to sit alone and not talk to anyone.  When he got hit and taken out of the game (I believe maybe a concussion), he didn't seem to support his team or the second string qb (phillips) at all, especially when they were coming back.  Maybe, the concussion didn't help, I'm not sure.

2.  Matt Phillips, looked awesome.  He looked like he was supporting the team, talking to his OL and WR's, etc.  He was slinging the ball around like a great STARTING qb.  I was impressed.  In fact, I didn't know he was a qb, and we were harassing him a littlbe bit not knowing he would almost be the savior of the game.  Again, our harassment wasn't anything personal, it was in good fun.

huh.gif

It is amazing how right on you can be with 5 points.  Seriously.  Those observations each could have a multi page thread.  Amazing that things that I gripe about so much someone who made it to his first North Texas game observes the same things.

He and his friends definately aren't the first either. I sat in front of 3 guys that were casual football fans from New Orleans, and not cheering for either team last year. By mid-2nd quarter they were calling almost all of our offense plays exact.

Amazing that things that I gripe about so much someone who made it to his first North Texas game observes the same things.

the difference between bassulike and zeke, zeke states clearly. zeke gripes about things, foriegn fans notice something, say it and on their way because they know nothing they can say or gripe about will change anything.

thanks for the insight and your observations bassulike, you are welcome to Fouts anytime.

........ zeke, zeke states clearly. zeke gripes about things....

I never knew my nickname could be said 3 times in 5 words smile.gif

I am gonna start high fiving every draw play on 3rd and long. Time Outs at the line of scrimmage I may do a chest bump. After a 15 yd Unsportsmanlike - I will throw a tortilla in joy!!

I wasn't able to go to this one, but listened to much of it on the radio. It seemed to me that the biggest problems we had were with our kicking game. We messed up a chip shot field goal attempt in the first quarter due to a bad snap. We missed an extra point. We had a punt of six yards which gave FAU great field position. We then missed the last field goal attempt to tie the game. Those kind of thing just kill your chances to win.

He and his friends definately aren't the first either. I sat in front of 3 guys that were casual football fans from New Orleans, and not cheering for either team last year. By mid-2nd quarter they were calling almost all of our offense plays exact.

The main problem I have with 1 loss and a near loss to the 2 Florida schools are the fact that they just opened shop on their campuses to play football when our present 5'th year players were freshmen.

Also, I am not sure if FAU and FIU are even classified (officially) as NCAA D1-A schools at this very moment which means they are still 1-AA. One alum pointed out to me today that if not for 8 turnovers by FIU, we may not have won that game with the final score as close as it was.

Some of our most loyal elect seem content to beat SBC schools and then go play the 4'th place team in CUSA in a bowl game. Some of our paid elect have become almost entirely dependent on beating SBC schools to hang on to jobs.

The following 2 years from our past represents some of the schools we played in my junior and senior years at NORTH TEXAS. First thing some may notice are the schools we played, the schools we beat and many of the schools we lost to (in most cases) were not by too great of margins at all.

1975 7 Wins<>*<>4 Losses

W UT-Arlington............24-7

W Drake U...................7-3

L San Diego State.......12-30 (as I recall, a ranked SDSU Aztec team)

L Oklahoma State........7-61 (Fry's biggest differential scoreboard loss at NT)

L Memphis U...............19-21

W Houston...................28-0 (UH won the Cotton Bowl the next season)

L Mississippi State........12-15

W Tennessee................21-14

W Cal (Pomona)...........27-17

W New Mexico St..........24-20

W West Texas St...........16-15

1976 7 Wins<>*<>4 Losses

L Mississippi State..........0-7 (game forfeited to North Texas)

W UT-Arlington...............24-7

L UT-Austin...................14-17 (Earl Campbell makes long run in closing minutes to beat the Mean Green--1'st ever NT vs UT game with Darrell Royal vs Hayden Fry

L SMU............................31-38 (NT beat 'Stangs following year)

L Oklahoma State............10-16

W Cal (Pomona)..............21-10

W West Texas St...............10-7

W New Mexico State.........25-14

W Louisiana Tech..............14-8

L Florida State.................20-21

W Drake U.......................63-0

Granted, there are some cupcakes on the aforementioned 1975 and 1976 NT football schedules we played as a major independent with no bowl tie-ins, but with the exception of one big loss (OSU in 1975) the Mean Green were competitive in most all the high profile games we lost while winnning a few of those OOC games as well.

So when some of us from NT's dark ages get a bit concerned by our not being able to dominate SBC schools of which most are ranked in the 100's and this same SBC which basically has 2 NCAA 1-AA schools from Florida in it); while also being able to at least stay in games with the La Techs and Tulsas in our region, then some might appreciate where some of us are coming from with some of our frustrations. It was the belief of many that the past 3 or 4 recruiting classes had us ahead or at least equal with La Tech and Tulsa. AND........FWIW, many of us from many eras at NT feel we still have better talent than some of those who have kicked us in the teeth this year. So that has some wondering: Whats wrong with this picture?

IMO, UNT needs to use ex MAC member Marshall U as a model, ie, as in dominate a league for about 10 years running without any hitches or detours of which we are already having such a detour this season with us having no idea how many other detours we might have after this Fall since the rest of the SBC seems to have caught up with NT (and I present the 2 NCAA 1-AA schools from Florida as pretty solid proof as to where we are right now). Think about this? Will we be that much improved compared to even those 2 Florida schools next year, least of all not mentioning the rest of the SBC schools who will all probably be improved themselves?

Yet maybe if NT could use the Marshall U model of total league domination but in our case with our having an abundance of some key OOC wins which we have not had in many years. With that formula, with all on the same page and all pistons running with our football program we should be able to go across the interstate to the new stadium (2009) with a very marketable product that is not quagmired with mediocrity, status quo or a football program that has not taken steps backwards in a league that a school like NORTH TEXAS can ill afford to do. Just my nickel on this pickle.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

To all of my new friends on the Mean Green board. I just wanted to say that your posts are amongst the classiest as I've seen.

We (my buddies and I) are now officially rooting for the North Texas. I'll always pull for my beloved Florida Gators (even though they're going through some problems now), however, I'm excited about Mean Green football now.

The people on this message board are as hard core and dedicated as any college football fans and I think that's awesome.

Thanks again.

Go Gators

Go Mean Green

To all of my new friends on the Mean Green board.  I just wanted to say that your posts are amongst the classiest as I've seen.

We (my buddies and I) are now officially rooting for the North Texas.  I'll always pull for my beloved Florida Gators (even though they're going through some problems now), however, I'm excited about Mean Green football now.

The people on this message board are as hard core and dedicated as any college football fans and I think that's awesome.

Thanks again.

Go Gators

Go Mean Green

Now, if we could just get someone like Bill Gates hooked on Mean Green football. rolleyes.gif

Thanks Bassulike!

1.  Even though your starting qb (Meager, I believe) was knocked out of the game, he never really seemed to want to communicate with his teammates.  He always managed to sit alone and not talk to anyone.  When he got hit and taken out of the game (I believe maybe a concussion), he didn't seem to support his team or the second string qb (phillips) at all, especially when they were coming back.  Maybe, the concussion didn't help, I'm not sure.

That's twice today I've read this same observation. I would be concerned.