Sun Belt Expansion Rumblings ?

MeanGreen61

Just for the record, it never was SWMS....it was SMS....you remember them, the ones who have been to five NIT's and five NCAA tournaments, making it to the sweet 16 vs. Duke about 5 years ago. They do not have much of a football following and want to concentrate on basketball in the Missouri Valley conference. As a side note, the enrollment of Missouri State is close to NT's.

From what I heard via Arkstatefan, some President of a Sunbelt school contacted the MoSt President quite a while back - around the time the Florida's were added - to see if there was interest in joining. There was not - MoSt was not interested in jumping to 1A then, now or in the foreseeable future.

This is the first I've heard of Tenn. Chattanooga. I mean literally, I didn't know there WAS a school called Tenn. Chattanooga! Are they a 4 year institution?

Whomever wrote the blog is not very well informed. The Sunbelt is NOT "desperate" to add new members. We have enough and don't NEED new members.

Edited by VideoEagle

From what I heard via Arkstatefan, some President of a Sunbelt school contacted the MoSt President quite a while back - around the time the Florida's were added - to see if there was interest in joining. There was not - MoSt was not interested in jumping to 1A then, now or in the foreseeable future.

This is the first I've heard of Tenn. Chattanooga. I mean literally, I didn't know there WAS a school called Tenn. Chattanooga! Are they a 4 year institution?

Whomever wrote the blog is not very well informed. The Sunbelt is NOT "desperate" to add new members. We have enough and don't NEED new members.

We have played Chattanooga before in the last game Odus Mitchell coached in 1967. We scored the same number of points as the years he had been coaching. Also Chris Sanders of Flower Mound Marcus set a 1-AA passing record for the moccasins after transferring from SMU.

I can see you follow the NCAA basketball tourney. tongue.gif

In 1997, TN-Chattanooga Sweet Sixteen as a 14 seed. I believe that's the lowest seed to ever make the Regional Semi's.

They are members of the Southern Conference. Link to their board. Check 'um out.

http://p197.ezboard.com/bmoctalk

Edited by MeanGreen61

Personally, I really do not care (and I don't want to sound apathetic) who joins the SBC as long as UNT is still the "Cream of the Belt" and this conference is a stepping stone to a better conference affiliation.

I would start a poll on who wants to remain in the SBC but I do not want to start a riot and 5,000 posts on recommendations for me to see a psychologist and donations for bus fare out of state.

My concern along with everyone else is for UNT to excel, athletically, so that we can take the next step up in conference affiliation.

Personally, I really do not care (and I don't want to sound apathetic) who joins the SBC as long as UNT is still the "Cream of the Belt" and this conference is a stepping stone to a better conference affiliation.

I would start a poll on who wants to remain in the SBC but I do not want to start a riot and 5,000 posts on recommendations for me to see a psychologist and donations for bus fare out of state.

My concern along with everyone else is for UNT to excel, athletically, so that we can take the next step up in conference affiliation.

But for damn sure, eulesseagle, don't bring up the subject of a new stadium for NT because (apparently) only the troy u's of the SBC world are deserving of that. unsure.gif

And pleeeezzzzzzz........... let's not add anyone to this present athletic consortium, either, until we all bloom a bit more where we all seem to be planted. wink.gif Hellsbells, if NT hangs around the 'Belt long enough we will probably get to play in the 'HowieDome" at FAU because that guy will find a donor or 2 to build theirs. blink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The grass is not always greener.

WE HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE NT GREAT - ANYWHERE

Last week nationally ranked Fresno State came to Aloha stadium where there were 22,000 and change in attendance. Heck, we are almost matching that attendance. The attendance at Nevada last weekend with a lot riding on the line against La Tech was a little over 8,500 - yes eight thousand five hundred. These are established WAC programs that are suffering mightily at the gate and they have been playing each other for years. Don't even get me started on CUSA.

Our attendance will not dramatically improve by 10,000 per game in a new league. It is gradually improving in our current configuration. We need to concentrate on getting better right here in the SBC!

crush the Cajuns!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree the overall goal must be to move toward joining a better conference. I am concerned however about the makeup of the Belt and it's quality (or not) in national reputuation and lack of could hinder us from that potential moveup. If the "Cream of the Belt" is only the best of the Bottom 8 teams in 1-A, what have we really achieved besides being #110?

Edited by NT80

I agree the overall goal must be to move toward joining a better conference.   I am concerned however about the makeup of the Belt and it's quality (or not) in national reputuation and lack of could hinder us from that potential moveup.  If the "Cream of the Belt" is only the best of the Bottom 8 teams in 1-A, what have we really achieved besides being #110?

Very much agree, NT80, but what are NT's options conference-wise that would work with our budget? We now know winning and turnstile numbers at the gate doesn't always mean a hill of beans in this and I defer to SMU and Rice and their admission into CUSA (albeit was a coat-tail entrance by them with their WAC consortium of schools). SMU when they had to do it alone (even with TCU's "supposed" support) didn't get CUSA acceptance the first time they tried to gain admission.

All this does bother many that our best teams could not make the Top 25 whereas the MAC (with probably a little help from Eastern sports-writers?) seems to have not had any problems breaking into that elite group from time to time and the MAC will never be a league to be confused with the Big 10.

So just what is it that NORTH TEXAS could do that could possibly elevate us (and I ask that w/o anyone suggesting for now that we fill a position on our staff that is not vacant)? Again......what can North Texas do now?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plumgreen---

I very much agree with what you are saying along with the majority of the posters.

Not until there is another opening in a stronger conference UNT's ultimate goal is to win....win....win in all our D-1 sports, have stronger attendance and position ourselves for that invitation to a better conference affiliation.

Begin construction of our new stadium is a must.

Until then we are in the Dante's Inferno of the SBC. Therefore, lets take advantage of our current situation.

--That is not much of an endorsement for Georgia Southern, when the name of the college can't even be remembered..... . I would vote Texas State aka Southwest Texas. They are 6-2 with one loss being to A&M by 31-44. I wish we could score 31 against someone... we haven't had that many points in any two weeks combined against any two opponents, much less against A&M who is 5-3

Plumgreen---

I very much agree with what you are saying along with the majority of the posters.

Not until there is another opening in a stronger conference UNT's ultimate goal is to win....win....win in all our D-1 sports, have stronger attendance and position ourselves for that invitation to a better conference affiliation. 

Begin construction of our new stadium is a must.

Until then we are in the Dante's Inferno of the SBC.  Therefore, lets take advantage of our current situation.

With your permission, ee, I highlighted part of your post.

The new stadium that NT has publicly annnounced that it will build is now more than just about a school's athletics and football program. Hasn't it really become a symbol of what kind a statement we want to make at NT and what our main campus' future will be in so many ways? And in so many ways, how it will have a direct and indirect affect on every aspect of the NT community both on and off campus?

Hasn't our proposed new football stadium on the NT campus master plan become the single most symbol of what NT says it wants to show the citizens of the state of Texas & the Southwest that we are (in deed) going to put our monies where our mouths are AND won't is also become the single most campus structure that proves how NT really wants others to perceive us all in the UNT System?

Football stadiums happen or don't happen because of leadership. I defer to Dallas Mayor Laura Miller and her City Council who (quite frankly) blew it as far as a new stadium at Fair Park was concerned. Now look what they may lose because of that?

So in that regard, I know we all have hope above all hope that on our present NT staff we have pro-stadium supporters with some most pro-active and effective fundraiser extraordinaires because that new football stadium at our Eagle Point Campus will become the single most & largest visible edifice to what the Texas Department of Transportation says are 50,000+ daily commuters; and for the time being, that is 50K+ Texans & non Texans who are presently driving by, uh, venerable (over half century old) Fouts Field on a daily basis. huh.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A new stadium, by itself will not get UNT in a better conference. I don't believe any of the Big 12 schools have a new stadium, however many have been remoldled and added to. UNT must win games ,not just conference games. Attendance must improve dramatically, not just at football games , but basketball as well.

The new athletic facilites are certainly a big plus and they do show a committment to athletics. It is a shame that we were not able to take advantage of the preseason pub. brought about by Cobb and Thomas.

With your permission, ee, I highlighted part of your post.

The new stadium that NT has publicly annnounced that it will build is now more than just about a school's athletics and football program.  Hasn't it really become a symbol of what kind a statement we want to make at NT and what our main campus' future will be in so many ways?  And in so many ways, how it will have a direct and indirect affect on every aspect of the NT community both on and off campus?

Hasn't our proposed new football stadium on the NT campus master plan become the single most symbol of what NT says it wants to show the citizens of the state of Texas & the Southwest that we are (in deed) going to put our monies where our mouths are AND won't is also become the single most campus structure that proves how NT really wants others to perceive us all in the UNT System? 

Football stadiums happen or don't happen because of leadership.  I defer to Dallas Mayor Laura Miller and her City Council who (quite frankly) blew it as far as a new stadium at Fair Park was concerned.  Now look what they may lose because of that?

So in that regard, I know we all have hope above all hope that on our present NT staff we have pro-stadium supporters with some most pro-active and effective fundraiser extraordinaires because that new football stadium at our Eagle Point Campus will become the single most & largest visible edifice to what the Texas Department of Transportation says are 50,000+ daily commuters; and for the time being, that is 50K+ Texans & non Texans who are presently driving by, uh, venerable (over half century old) Fouts Field on a daily basis. huh.gif

GMG!

Complex situation:

---We need better attendance to justify a new stadium ---but a new stadium would help attract teams "of greater interest" to Denton which in turn we think would increase attendance (if we can play them competitive games and actually defeat a few of them).

---Where to start: It would help if we could defeat some "high-profile" names on the road which would cause people to want to come and see us at home which in turn would create a need for a larger stadium. The problem now is we don't defeat the Big XII or other "name" teams and this year we have haven't even been all that competitive with them. We haven't held a non-conf. opponent to under 50 points yet and the Baylor and Texas big losses hurt us as well last year after we had high expectations. We need to win or be very competive in these games to gain attention which will improve attendance.

---Winning Belt-games is great but we need to be competitive against "name" schools to improve our standing.

Buff64---

Got to disagree with you on the stadium issue.

First impressions are everything for a HS or JC recruit visiting UNT for the first time!!

Fouts Field has served it purpose!! I have seen some great games there but there are HS stadiums that look better than what UNT has!! You mention that some Big 12 schools have not or some that have updated their current stadiums. What Big 12 school has temporary aluminum bleachers 50 yards (or so) from the back of the endzones??

Texas Tech had major construction to move the bleachers closer to the field and then lowered their playing field for better viewing. Granted, UNT could replicate that model but should we??

A new stadium would make a statement for the direction that UNT is headed in our athletic program.

Our BB arena is still, IMHO, better than anything in the SBC and some WAC & MWC schools.

It is time to make a statement on a new FB stadium NOW!!