CUSA Poll- Who should we add if Tulane drops out?

MeanGreen61

Well the biggest joke if you read the thread is some buffoon from UTEP making a comment about how current football success should count. For the love of God, at the time UTEP was invited that had what, 3 or 4 wining seasons in the last 40 years? If Tulane is forced to drop Football I think the first thing you might see is a Football only invitation. If that is not the case it would seem that C-USA would look for a school whose overall athletics can support the conferences growth? But, the sad truth is that if, and it’s a really big if, Tulane drops their Football program and they do not replace with a football only school there is likely to be a sentimental push to replace with a school from Louisiana. Wouldn’t it be hilarious, if the decision is based on replacing with a Louisiana school they took ULL?

Question –

If C-USA took LaTech as a football only member would you support LaTech’s other programs joining the Sun Belt?

I think all of you who never take off your green-tinted glasses need to read through that thread. Almost every post shuns UNT and some even suggest adding a 1-AA school over the Mean Green. You think our OOC losses don't hurt us?? Well, LaTech seems to be head and shoulders over us right now.

I'm a little tired of the humiliation and being the best of the worst. This program has got to improve and we have to start winning some OOC games. Nobody outside of the SBC takes UNT football seriously...and why should they???

Well the biggest joke if you read the thread is some buffoon from UTEP making a comment about how current football success should count.

I thought the biggest joke was from the Marshall fan discussing how UNT should still be considered a I-AA program. He also said that Troy still seems like a I-AA school....and then suggests that CUSA's best option would be Georgia Southern, which IS a I-AA school.

I guess he's already forgotten about Marshall's days at the I-AA level...it wasn't THAT long ago.

I thought the biggest joke was from the Marshall fan discussing how UNT should still be considered a I-AA program.  He also said that Troy still seems like a I-AA school....and then suggests that CUSA's best option would be Georgia Southern, which IS a I-AA school.

I guess he's already forgotten about Marshall's days at the I-AA level...it wasn't THAT long ago.

I was thinking the same thing, didn't we meet them in the I-AA playoffs regularly? It's like he would be okay holding our heads under water while he's up to his eyeballs.

I thought the biggest joke was from the Marshall fan discussing how UNT should still be considered a I-AA program.  He also said that Troy still seems like a I-AA school....and then suggests that CUSA's best option would be Georgia Southern, which IS a I-AA school.

I guess he also forgot that the "I-AA Troy" program had their way with his team last year. And their coach is the biggest goober ever for that passing play against K-State.

I think all of you who never take off your green-tinted glasses need to read through that thread.  Almost every post shuns UNT and some even suggest adding a 1-AA school over the Mean Green.  You think our OOC losses don't hurt us?? 

If I thought I some of those posters where presidents at current CUSA schools I might give a damn what they thought.

Well, LaTech seems to be head and shoulders over us right now.

North Texas finished above LaTech in the consultants reports during the last expansion (UTEP) and every buidling we finish over at Eagle Point is putting us further ahead. La Tech killing us last Saturday did zero to change that unless it convinced one of thier alums to donate 10-20 million dollars.

Cerebus, I hope you are right.  But much like our baseball stadium, I will believe it when I see it.

Sometimes things just don't go as planned. The stadium right now falls under that.

But if you don't believe in the athletic center yet I suggest you take the trip over. If you bring a group you can probably arrange to see the weight room, sports medicine, locker room, etc that are all things to be proud of. You can always drive around Eagle Point afterwards and check out the Tennis complex, and pretty soon you'll be able to see the womens complex.

Until LaTech starts to break more ground, we are still ahead of them.

Speaking of facilities and such ...

Since I drive by the Mean Green Village when I come up from FTW, I've noticed they've taken down all the fences, light poles and stands with the old baseball field. I have to wonder if:

a) We're going to turn the baseball field into the softball field as planned; or

B) Upgrade the baseball field for the Outlaws so it is more like a college field for the time being.

A few things to keep in mind.

1. A lot Tulane's expenses while living on the road are going to be picked up by FEMA and insurance.

2. Tulane athletics is being charged less for player tuition at the various sites they have scattered to than they are charged by Tulane.

3. Tulane hasn't sold many tickets while on the road but they have been paying a lot less for the facilities they have used which has ranged from nothing to just the actual expenses.

4. Tulane has one of the smaller endowments of such type schools and desperation fund-raisers have been a common ploy to help get it up.

5. I wouldn't put it past Tulane based on their poverty cries of the past, to be trying to goad CUSA into giving them some level of subsidy to recover some of their unreimbursed expenses.

6. If Tulane did pull the plug, just remember that the rumors were that UTEP was admitted by getting the minimum number of required votes. There were CUSA schools making a strong case that it would be financially better to be at 11 members than 12.

7. Last point. The Metro, made up of many of the same members let Tulane pull the plug on basketball for 2 years after a point-shaving scandal and remain a full member in other sports despite basketball being a required sport. If Tulane wished to sit out 2006 the NCAA would almost certainly allow the to resume as a I-A in 2007 and CUSA would welcome them back, as long as they had a plan to make it short hiatus.

But if you don't believe in the athletic center yet I suggest you take the trip over.  If you bring a group you can probably arrange to see the weight room, sports medicine, locker room, etc that are all things to be proud of.  Y

Are the facilities as nice as this???

Indoor practice facilityuser posted imageTraining Room picture #1user posted image

Training Room picture #2user posted imageCaptain's Loungeuser posted image

Hall of Championsuser posted imageOutdoor Practice facilityuser posted image

Academic Center for Athletes (the Squad Room looks very similar to this but I couldn't find a pic of it) user posted image

Of course, I'm just kidding. I came across these pictures of the LSU facilities and....WOW!!! If we could have just 1/3 of what they have, the possibilities would seem endless.

Speaking of facilities and such ...

Since I drive by the Mean Green Village when I come up from FTW, I've noticed they've taken down all the fences, light poles and stands with the old baseball field.  I have to wonder if:

a) We're going to turn the baseball field into the softball field as planned; or

b ) Upgrade the baseball field for the Outlaws so it is more like a college field for the time being.

a) Yes.

b ) No. A separate baseball stadium will be built next to the softball field, as has been planned. . . .

Edited by MootPoint

The current plan calls for construction to begin toward the end of this year so that it will be in place by the Summer.

Why hasn't there been an annoucement about the stadium being built? Do they want to make sure they have the funds to build it?

Why hasn't there been an annoucement about the stadium being built?  Do they want to make sure they have the funds to build it?

There have been announcements that it is being built. There just hasn't been an announcement saying groundbreaking will occur on X date. You generally don't get an announcement about a groundbreaking until much closer to the actual date because X date depends on a lot of factors. Also, I would assume that part of the reason you are not hearing anything is that it is really not appropriate to announce something that is not completely under UNT's control. The decision on timing is really still up to the Outlaws since they are the ones building the stadium and we'll be happy whether they start on X date, X date + 2 days, X date + 2 weeks, etc. Remember, the Outlaws are building the stadium, not UNT. Why would we be the one's to announce the Outlaws schedule for construction?

Imagine if X company decided to build something next to the Radisson and got approval to build on UNT's land and UNT would be allowed to hold classes there. Would UNT be the ones to announce the construction schedule for the new building or would it be X company?

Until LaTech starts to break more ground, we are still ahead of them.

Disagree. La Tech may not have been so foolish in not re-joining the sinking SBC instead of the WAC. Our AC is nice, but Tech's football and baseball stadiums are better than ours (oh right, we don't have a baseball stadium). NT's campus has more potential, but we all know where potential will take you (?)... dry.gif

Disagree.    La Tech may not have been so foolish in not re-joining the sinking SBC instead of the WAC.  Our AC is nice, but Tech's football and baseball stadiums are better than ours (oh right, we don't have a baseball stadium).  NT's campus has more potential, but we all know where potential will take you (?)...  dry.gif

Our AC holds our meeting rooms, film rooms, sport medicine rooms, etc all of which are nicer.

Our baseball stadium looks to be done by next year (keep your fingers crossed) and should be better than what latech has.

Our FB stadium isn't much worse than latechs.

The SBC is a much better option for a team in our geographic location. It is also a much better option for latech, even some of the higher ups in thier own AD saw that. Thier budget is so bare they can't take the hit a move would cost them in revenue sharing for a year.

Our AC holds our meeting rooms, film rooms, sport medicine rooms, etc all of which are nicer.

Our baseball stadium looks to be done by next year (keep your fingers crossed) and should be better than what latech has.

Our FB stadium isn't much worse than latechs.

The SBC is a much better option for a team in our geographic location.  It is also a much better option for latech, even some of the higher ups in thier own AD saw that.  Thier budget is so bare they can't take the hit a move would cost them in revenue sharing for a year.

I really hope this NT baseball stadium deal gets going and built (Moot alluded that it "should", but not confirmed or on a firm start schedule yet). That would help with another conference looking at us, plus give us another spring team sport to watch.

As far as La Tech's AC in their endzone, it appeared to be an older building and sat back rather high and far from the actual field. It held the football locker rooms but didn't have an observation deck or nice viewing windows like ours.

Their stadium was comparable to a bowled-out and lowered Fouts without the track but still dated, natural grass, no frills or video screen. The grass sloped endzone berms were nice and 30,000 metal sideline seats were better angled and far better than Fout's lego endzone seating. I'd rate it a C+ at our level and Fouts a D. I'd trade but prefer newer with concrete and finished exterior.

As for the WAC, their football is a step or two above the Sunbelt overall, less the Sunbelt additions. La Tech is spending their WAC inheirited NCAA playoff credits trying to pay for their travel while they await a move to what they hope will be CUSA. They're betting they get a bid before they go bankrupt. Would we like home games with Fresno, Boise, and Hawaii? Sure (maybe not this season!). Ruston is a smallish town (22,000?) but supports Tech 100x what Denton does for NT. La Tech flags on the streets and yard signs all over and shoe-polished store windows (when did you ever see that in Denton?).

North Texas has a huge advantage of the Metroplex and International airport nearby, a more modern campus, and a growing new area of athetic facilities. La Tech appears more 1-A-ish right now but we are catching up and would pass them with a new football and baseball facility.