Michigant ST. coach at halftime-> ANGRY!

Got5onIt

Rule #1 of management:

Praise in public, chastize in private. Boost someone's ego when they perform well in public for all to see. If someone screws up badly, you go into the office, close the door, and lower the boom on them between the two parties.

If DD follows that rule, then it all stays internal.

Rule #1 of management:

Praise in public, chastize in private. Boost someone's ego when they perform well in public for all to see. If someone screws up badly, you go into the office, close the door, and lower the boom on them between the two parties.

If someone comes up to me at my job and says "hey, your staff has been making costly errors all year long," I tell them that I'm concerned and that I will do something about it. The only reassurance one has is with seeing a change in the behavior of my staff.

Tell it to Dickey, and his refrain is "I'm not concerned about it." (SEE: Lack of offense, discipline, etc.) And as there is no change in the behaviors, then there is no reassurance for the people paying their hard-earned money for the product (North Texas Football), and there is CERTAINLY no faith that he's taking care of it internally.

Sometimes, without naming names, you have to call people out, if only to let those around you know you're actually gonna do something about it.

I think the Michigan St. coach was right to be angry. His coaches made an absolutely idiotic HS coaching mistake and it probably cost the game for them. The coaches are paid to know what they're doing.

But what I like most about the anger is that it wasn't because the coaches made a stupid play (which they did) but because (quote) "Our guys are working their butts off out there and we're making stupid decisions. They (team) deserve better than that."

I like that intensity and wish I could see that in every single coach. I'm not expecting DD to go running down the sidelines screaming obsenities at the refs (although I think it's sometimes justified) and throwing Gatorade at players. I'd just like to see him care enough about the program to get passionate about it. I think that's my biggest problem with DD - he doesn't seem passionate. Even Charley Weis, who is quite calm on the sidelines, will comment or at least clap when things are going well or badly.

That is why I never liked Landry, he was so disspassionate you could tell he didn't care about the Cowboys.

I disagree. Listen to him in post-game interviews and he'd tell you what was wrong with the team. He pointed out the good and the bad, and didn't tolerate stupid mistakes. With DD it's "I'm not worried about the penalties because we won."

That is why I never liked Landry, he was so disspassionate you could tell he didn't care about the Cowboys.

---I remember someone interviewing Landry once that commented on his calmness in the heat of of "battle". His answer was something to the fact that after flying Bomb runs through the Ruhr Valley in WWII that this was not all that stressful. The only way to survive those runs was to remain as calm and alert as possible. He also also commented by remaining "relatively calm" a person can make better decisions.

---The Ruhr was the worst possible place to be a pilot in WWII, it was the heavy defended industrial heart of Germany. Landry was a bomber pilot also a UT electrical engineer major (who had a masters in EE) and most tend to be very logical and not so emotional.

---Just because someone does not get irate and yell and jump up and down does not mean they don't care. Most good managers take of problems in private, not in front of other (especially 1000's) of people. He was successful and his personal knew how he felt.

I guess sarcasm does not work on the internet.  Landry was a great coach, and he did not need to yell and scream.

I got what you were trying to say. But my point was that although Landry was not an emotional person on or off the field, he would still tell it like it is. If his team played like crap, he'd say it. He might spin it a bit and say there were things to work on, but as VideoEagle pointed out, Landry would dissect your every flaw.

DD keeps finding "improvement" in our offense and makes excuses that we're too young or that the teams we're playing against are just too talented. But the biggest difference between DD and Landry is discipline. 15 penalties for 147 yards is way too many penalties for a D-1A team. We average something like 2 unsportsmanlike calls per game. True, Landry didn't scream or shout, but he still controlled his team. My point is that although DD doesn't scream and shout, he's not getting results either. So maybe it's time for him to scream a little.

Edited by untgirl04

I guess sarcasm does not work on the internet.  Landry was a great coach, and he did not need to yell and scream.

True --- sarcasm is more difficult to tell in print, especially in a short comment.

The Landry comparison is not really a good comparison. Landry himself wasn’t a screamer, but they had many assistant coaches who where. Also, there where enforcers on the team who would jack players up in the locker room if they weren’t giving it everything they had.

DD, for whatever reason, is letting this team play extremely sloppy. Kids are going to make mistakes, but Saturday’s game has to point back to DD. The offense is just atrocious. I wonder if it looked in person as bad as it sounded on the radio.

Rule #1 of management:

Former Nebraska coach Tom Osborne, anyone? He seemed to do okay without calling people out in public.

In 1984, when Mack Brown was OU's offense coordinator, he was yelling at a player as they left the field at halftime. Barry Switzer pulled Mack aside and told him not to do it anymore. Switzer was as animated on the sidelines as anyone (and, like Bear Bryant, would light up a cigarette in a close game...ah, the good ol' days), but he didn't call out his own assistants or players in public.

Former Nebraska coach Tom Osborne, anyone?  He seemed to do okay without calling people out in public. 

In 1984, when Mack Brown was OU's offense coordinator, he was yelling at a player as they left the field at halftime.  Barry Switzer pulled Mack aside and told him not to do it anymore.  Switzer was as animated on the sidelines as anyone (and, like Bear Bryant, would light up a cigarette in a close game...ah, the good ol' days), but he didn't call out his own assistants or players in public.

Generally speaking, you're right. But sometimes, talking to a person in private doesn't work. Sometimes you have to lay the heat on them in order to make them understand. I think in the case of the Michigan coach, perhaps he could have tempered his words a bit, but you have to love a guy who cares so much about his team. I mean, he didn't want the win as much for himself as for his players. At halftime, he couldn't know whether or not they'd actually win the game, but he knew his players were giving 110% and it was killing him that his coaches weren't doing their best to help the team. And it's not like he called out one specific coach. He said "we" meaning himself included - everyone was letting the team down. Since he's including himself in the remark, I feel it's appropriate public criticism. Now, if he's said "My coaching staff are boneheads and I'm going to have a serious talk with Coach Lineman and Coach Kicking Team this week" that would be different.

It doesn't matter. There's more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes. All we're pointing out is that have been coaches succeed who didn't call people out in public.

Also, find me a "calling out in public" coach who continually does well. You won't find as many of those types as you will of the calm ones - Mack Brown, Bill Snyder, Bobby Bowden, Tom Osborne, Joe Paterno, etc. Calling people out in public quickly wears thin on folks.

You can win without ranting and raving. Besides, for all of the ranting John L. Smith did, it didn't seem to help his team to victory or light a fire under them. And, actually, he's given his players an excuse to second guess their coaches by blaming them solely for the mistake.

Every team practices lining up for field goals every practice. If they are paying attention, the players know the situation and where they are supposed to be as well as the coaches. It's two way street.

It doesn't matter.  There's more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes.  All we're pointing out is that have been coaches succeed who didn't call people out in public. 

Also, find me a "calling out in public" coach who continually does well.  You won't find as many of those types as you will of the calm ones - Mack Brown, Bill Snyder, Bobby Bowden, Tom Osborne, Joe Paterno, etc.  Calling people out in public quickly wears thin on folks. 

You can win without ranting and raving.  Besides, for all of the ranting John L. Smith did, it didn't seem to help his team to victory or light a fire under them.  And, actually, he's given his players an excuse to second guess their coaches by blaming them solely for the mistake. 

Every team practices lining up for field goals every practice.  If they are paying attention, the players know the situation and where they are supposed to be as well as the coaches.  It's two way street.

Bill Parcels

Bill Cower

John Gruden

I realize those are all NFL coaches, but I'm not as familiar with college coaches. Maybe you're right and that just doesn't work in college football.

Bill Parcels

Bill Cower

John Gruden

I realize those are all NFL coaches, but I'm not as familiar with college coaches. Maybe you're right and that just doesn't work in college football.

All I said was that it can work either way. A guy can be a screamer or a monk. It doesn't matter. To me, it's more the personality of the team. Nebraska in the 1990s was all business and whipped alot of people. Bob Stoops has won three conference titles and a national title being very vocal.

But, what is Bob Stoops looking at now? He's had a dozen offensive linemen quit the program in the last five years. What's the weakest part of OU's game this year - lack of blocking from the offensive line. Because so many OL's have left, Stoops is running former tight ends and defensive linemen out there and getting creamed as a result.

In the pros, guys are making a living. In college, the players are still kids. Yes, they can be upbraided in practice all day long, and even during games. But, you can't be calling people out to the press.

Yes, Smith ranted about his assistants, but his players also were men enough to try to take responsibility. From the Detroit Free Press yesterday:

Holder Brandon Fields, on MSU having 10 players on the field for the blocked field-goal attempt that was returned for an Ohio State touchdown: "It was a little bit of chaos. I probably shouldn't have snapped it in the first place. Everything was kind of thrown out of whack."

... Fields, on whether he considered spiking the ball in the confusion: "Me, personally, I didn't think about spiking it. I waited as long as possible to allow our guys who weren't supposed to be on the field go run off. As soon as I saw the clock go down to two (seconds), then I told him to snap it."

.... QB Drew Stanton, on Smith blaming the coaching staff for the loss: "There comes a certain point in time when the players have to own up and take responsibility. It comes back to us. Unless you do everything perfect. I know I didn't today."