University of North Texas School of Law?

FirefightnRick

Did ya'll see channel five's preview of tomorrow's Star report about NT's interest in purchasing Texas Weslayan University's School of Law? I learned last spring that Weslayan had contacted NT about it in the past but we were not interested. Sounds like something has changed someone's mind. University president and current Judge Jackson maybe?

Man, how does that bumper sticker go? " Sit down, Shut up and Hang on!", This ship is taken off!

Rick

• Upvote 3

Please tell me that if this happens they will "move" the school to Denton.

Thats all we need is an "off site" campus that produces high-dollar disconnected alumni with no ties to the school.

Seriously, that would be awesome to have an NT law school. Would be a perfect fit with the great journalism program since many lawyers get an undergrad degree in Journalism.

Seeya,

Shane

Shaneb, I agree with your assessment about spreading the main campus to too many locations. The closer our schools are the more cohesive we'll become.

The downtown Fort Worth property will be much more expensive than any Denton property. Admittedly, this is a graduate school but most graduate schools are on campus. I believe that's the case with every public college in Texas. Does anyone know differently?

One possible drawback on moving the law school is that TWU might be snubbed by the Fort Worth community for allowing the institution to be moved. It would be omething akin to selling a sports franchise and moving it from the city, although not as severe.

I am even concerned that the College of Engineering won't be on the main campus. I have suggested that a tramway be built connecting the two campuses in order to build a bond and cohesiveness and make them feel more a part of the university.

Maybe the negotiation skills of Chancellor Jackson and President Pohl have gotten the price down to where it is not out of the market. I think that the Coordinating Board would go for it if the price is reasonable.

I am even concerned that the College of Engineering won't be on the main campus.  I have suggested that a tramway be built connecting the two campuses in order to build a bond and cohesiveness and make them feel more a part of the university.

Well, that is a little different. All college of engineering classes will be on campus, at least from what I understood. Only administrative offices will be off campus in the new UNT research park.

One possible drawback on moving the law school is that TWU might be snubbed by the Fort Worth community for allowing the institution to be moved.  It would be omething akin to selling a sports franchise and moving it from the city, although not as severe.

Jack, I don't think the TWU Law School because of it still being a rather young institution is so entrenched in the Fort Worth community that a move would cause that much noticeable concern among the FW business community.

TWU's main campus (in the FW Polytechnic neighborhood) has been having financial and declining enrollment problems for years, even before there was a TWU Law School.

I am still amazed that TCU has declined any interest in purchasing this private law school. I do not understand why they have no interest in it as money is of no concern for the TCU folks with their humongous financial endowment which was almost at $1 billion just a few years ago. (I think it has gone down in recent days because of certain investments that went bad but please don't quote me on that one--maybe TCU2002 will let us know on all of this on this board or Frog Fan Forum.

My hope is that if UNT and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board agree on this purchase is that is will be moved to our Denton campus. We (of the FW area) already have part of the UNT System in Cowtown and I drive by its beautiful campus everyday en route to my post office 2 blocks away.

GMG!

Jack, I hope you and Jessica are doing well. Yalls regular attendance at UNT events is an inspiration to us all.

The engineering program's location doesn't bother me because I think that students will still attend most of their classes on campus. Plus it is in the same city. and the students are connected to the main campus because they live there.

But the Dallas campus, UCD, FWHSC and now possibly the law school actually require that the student live in another city. Thats a quick ticket to disconnected alums. Something we have plenty of already.

Seeya,

Shane

I have mixed feelings about UNT aquiring the TWU Law School. It would be the final piece needed to make us a 'complete' university, so to speak, but I too would prefer that it be located in Denton. To me, Fort Worth means TCU, and I agree that the law students would not connect with UNT. I read Mr. Jackson's comments closely and he did say that he preferred leaving the law school at it's present location. He also said that the aquisition was in two pieces - the real estate and the operation of the school. I also read in another internet article that the Dean is stepping down in the Spring of 2003, so perhaps this is a matter of political posturing and the school would actually be moved to Denton sometimes in the future and the real estate sold to provide funding for the new Denton location. Many times there is another story behind what is being said publicly. Regardless, the good news is that we may finally be getting the Law School that Dr. Matthews passed on back in the 1960's.

The location is not as important as having the connection to a law school. Graduate students (and professional students) are generally less connected to the general campus activities than are undergraduates anyway. They are too focused on their program.

That doesn't mean they won't be connected to their graduate alma mater. They will be. But more importantly for UNT, we gain the access to a law school and the prestige associated with it. I hope it all works out for us.

BTW, I mentioned this scenario to a friend of mine on campus over 6 weeks ago -- it was just wishful thinking at the time but I'm glad it is going that direction.

Also -- anybody remember that the original name of that law school was "North Texas School of Law". We went to court to make them change it! Ironic -- isn't it.