TJ Raymond

MootPoint

These young men are on a FOOTBALL scholarship. I understand having problems in school. I did. But I paid for it myself.

If a person is on an academic scholarship, he must maintain I heckuva a lot higher GPA than a 1.8. I realize that these young men spend 25 hours a week (a conserative guess), but I maintained a better GPA working full time.

I do think that TJ could help this team, but I don't believe the football program can afford to keep him on scholarship any longer.

Let him pay for his schooling for a year, but allow him to have access to the tutors and the other help that the athletic department provides. Let him prove he wants to make a difference. This is worse than the Shawnson Johnson situation. NT paid for two years of his school and got one semester of participation. The school already has two years invested in TJ and hasn't got one game of participation.

I wish him well, but if he can't cut it academically then let him go play for the semi-pro team in Dallas.

These young men are on a FOOTBALL scholarship. I understand having problems in school. I did. But I paid for it myself.

If a person is on an academic scholarship, he must maintain I heckuva a lot higher GPA than a 1.8. I realize that these young men spend 25 hours a week (a conserative guess), but I maintained a better GPA working full time.

I do think that TJ could help this team, but I don't believe the football program can afford to keep him on scholarship any longer.

Let him pay for his schooling for a year, but allow him to have access to the tutors and the other help that the athletic department provides. Let him prove he wants to make a difference. This is worse than the Shawnson Johnson situation. NT paid for two years of his school and got one semester of participation. The school already has two years invested in TJ and hasn't got one game of participation.

I wish him well, but if he can't cut it academically then let him go play for the semi-pro team in Dallas.

Believe me you cannot equate working with playing college football. there is no comparison. They apparently believe this kid has great football potential or they would not have signed him. The coaching staff is not going to risk a ship on a player if they think there is not a possibility of a payoff. If he has the grades to even stay in school then the coaching staff is going to have to make another decision. I think they are better equipped to make that call then we are.

Green Bat what were you thinking...of course you cannot compare working and going to school with play football and going to school. After all, your job probably funded your school and your books and more than likely your food and neccesities. You would be foolish to compare that to someone who has 80% of everything paid for and has to maintain a 1.8GPA.

SILLY BAT!!!!

Welcome to the REAL world TJ...where not everyone gives a rip about you.

How does academic probation affect athletes? I ask b/c it seems like TJ wasn't eligible last year either (or am I confused and this is his first full year of having to be eligible?) It seems like for regular students you get put on probation after one year of not maintaining grades, then are suspended for a semester if you fail to make the grade that next semester. Then you have to re-enroll after sitting out....do the same rules apply to athletes? If not, how is it justified?

Edited by TIgreen01

Harsh is right.  What if your son or daughter fails a grade?  How would you feel if someone posted stuff on the internet saying we should kick them out of school and quit wasting taxpayer dollars?

I'm not saying kick him out of school, but I'm saying pull his FREE RIDE. He hasn't done a thing to earn his FREE RIDE, except make us drool over his potential.

Let him pay for school himself. He'll appreciate the work more having to pay for it himself.

Give the guy a break.  Unless you saw him skipping class and going to happy hour, it's not really fair.

Ask the people in the Gulf Coast about life being FAIR.

I talked to Isaac Thomas. He has an imbalance of enzymes in the blood. He said he will be out one to two more weeks, then will be back. He thinks he could go sooner, but the coaching staff is being very careful about this one. I'm glad they are being cautious about their athletes. Thomas will be back, and will be huge for us..

As for now, we have enough DT talent to compete well. Emmitt is right with respect to how much talent we lost with Raymond out. But, our hopes for this defense were never placed on the shoulders of just one player? We didnt even do that when Kennedy was here, so I feel sure we can survive the loss of the Big-Cat.

Here's hoping MTSU thinks the same way a few of the people around here do... The defensive line will be fine, guys.... the sky only starts to fall of Jamario and PC collide in warm-ups 5 minutes to kickoff????

GMG!!!