RV's pay boost

MootPoint

Athletic director receives pay boost

Bryan Shettig

Staff Writer

September 01, 2005

The NT athletics department is expanding with new facilities and salary increases for its staff. Rick Villarreal, NT athletics director, is waiting to sign a contract for a 10 percent salary increase, an additional $15 thousand a year.

“I’m extremely thankful,” Villarreal said. The 2003-2004 Administrative Salary Survey listed Villarreal making $150,491 a year, less than the state average for university athletics directors.

“I do my job,” Villarreal said. “I don’t base it on money. There’s been chances for me to leave this institution for more money, but that’s not what I’m about.”

He would not say what other universities offered him employment.

The annual athletics budget for NT is $12 million, but Villarreal said the athletics department does not make a profit.

He is also overseeing the construction of a new stadium at NT.

The stadium is being paid through private fundraising and will cost $40 million and will eventually seat 50 thousand people. He stressed the uniqueness of using private money, citing Southern Connecticut State University and the recent $90 million stadium built with state funds there.

“We have a mandate here: we haven’t built anything or will build anything without raising the money ourselves,” he said.

Fouts Field has “served its purpose” and does not offer the comfort and services fans are used to, including luxury boxes and club levels – comparable amenities to professional stadiums, Villarreal said. The structure is part of Villarreal’s plan to elevate the athletics department and is joined by a bevy of new sports buildings, primarily for women’s teams, he said.

The significance of the new stadium has many implications.

“I think our attendance will double overnight,” Villarreal said.

It will help the local economy, as part of a “total revitalization plan,” he said.

NT athletics is up for recertification from the National Collegiate Athletics Association again this fall. Josh White, public relations agent for the association, said the recertification is supposed to be an “educational process.”

He is also overseeing the construction of a new stadium at NT.

The stadium is being paid through private fundraising and will cost $40 million and will eventually seat 50 thousand people.

Fouts Field has “served its purpose” Villarreal said. 

THis article makes it sound like a done deal. Does anyone have any details.

Moot?

Fouts Field has “served its purpose” and does not offer the comfort and services fans are used to, including luxury boxes and club levels – comparable amenities to professional stadiums, Villarreal said. The structure is part of Villarreal’s plan to elevate the athletics department and is joined by a bevy of new sports buildings, primarily for women’s teams, he said.

The significance of the new stadium has many implications.

“I think our attendance will double overnight,” Villarreal said.

It will help the local economy, as part of a “total revitalization plan,” he said.

........................................................................................

I whole-heartedly concur with Rick V. on the attendance part, but I'm not sure the attendance doubles immediately, although I think it improves dramatically and once our new stadium has been open 2 or 3 years, it very well could double.

Honest to goodness, I've work in DFW since 1977 and have spoken to NT alums I've met in the workforce who thru the past decades have many times asked me: "When are "THEY" going to build a new football stadium up there?" sad.gif

I really think many of those who said "THEY" will become "WE" once we get that new football stadium finished because many will want to come up and check it out if for nothing else their own curiosity. Many of that group will be hooked on the kind of Game Day we now have at NT (which they've never seen) and just keep on coming back--just like that batter-operated rabbit! rolleyes.gif

The new stadium coupled with winnning Mean Green football teams will generate very much renewed interest among those we've been trying to get back to Denton for years. Many of us are impatient for better attendance, but I still say the Metroplex's booming growth will all but gurarantee that we will be just fine in the attendance department in a few years, especially in our new football venue at Eagle Point Campus. Just my .02...

PS Now yall've gone and done it; that is, got me started on new stadium talk! laugh.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

"I do my job,” Villarreal said. “I don’t base it on money. There’s been chances for me to leave this institution for more money, but that’s not what I’m about.”

He would not say what other universities offered him employment"

Either come clean or don't say anything at all. Tired of this kind of talk.

"I do my job,” Villarreal said. “I don’t base it on money. There’s been chances for me to leave this institution for more money, but that’s not what I’m about.”

There was a thread awhile back on the board that discussed a rumor of him leaving, and he personally responded (or started another thread in response) to the accusation saying that there was indeed an offer but he had no intention of leaving. I don't remember what school it was though...

He stressed the uniqueness of using private money, citing Southern Connecticut State University and the recent $90 million stadium built with state funds there.

It was UCONN, the University of Connecticut.

As for the new stadium, I agree with all the reasons RV mentions why we need one. And I also believe a large attendance increase would happen because of it. I've heard too many say Fouts is a detriment to watching a North Texas game.

I believe Rick V could have very well had some job offers paying more money and even possibly for other NCAA D1-A adminstrative roles other than that of an AD job. We have to remember that we don't pay the highest salaries on the D1-A block, either. sad.gif Hopefully, that will change soon.

I think if he sticks it in out in Denton and finishes the 200 acre Mean Green Athletic Village, I think he could eventually write his own ticket as to wherever he wants to go among Big Time U jobs that will open in the future. Just my .02...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I believe Rick V could have very well had some job offers paying more money and even possibly for other NCAA D1-A adminstrative roles other than that of an AD job.  We have to remember that we don't pay the highest salaries on the D1-A block, either. sad.gif  Hopefully, that will change soon.

I think if he sticks it in out in Denton and finishes the 200 acre Mean Green Athletic Village, I think he could eventually write his own ticket as to wherever he wants to go among Big Time U jobs that will open in the future.  Just my .02...

Yeah I think that's his intention. I hope he sticks to it. smile.gif

It could have been the private sector. I think the guy is underpaid. I think DD is underpaid. I think both could take jobs in the private sector making more.

]"I do my job,” Villarreal said. “I don’t base it on money. There’s been chances for me to leave this institution for more money, but that’s not what I’m about.”

Edited by GreenFlag

As for the new stadium, I agree with all the reasons RV mentions why we need one. And I also believe a large attendance increase would happen because of it. I've heard too many say Fouts is a detriment to watching a North Texas game.

I'm not sure about doubling attendance, but I would think most Mean Green fans should get excited about the new stadium and actually getting to be a part of the game experience for the first time, instead of having to watch it from what appears to look like watching a movie at the drive in from behind the projection house blink.gif

Rick