COBBS & THOMAS ON THE FRONT PAGE OF USA TODAY!

Baby Arm!

i think people should settle down with the criticism of the writer's description of north texas. he was trying to emphasize the fact that these two great backs are playing at a "lower level" school, so he's obviously going to have to lower us a little bit more for the feat to seem more impressive.

NEVER accept that! We ARE 1-A! mad.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Picked up my copy tonight from a machine out front of a Quizno's here in Memphis. I've been down on the promotions group before, but you can't top this. Simply a wonderful thing to see, nationwide! Great work! I can't even imagine what this means to these players. I'm so happy for them!

Picked up my copy tonight from a machine out front of a Quizno's here in Memphis. I've been down on the promotions group before, but you can't top this. Simply a wonderful thing to see, nationwide! Great work! I can't even imagine what this means to these players. I'm so happy for them!

Must be hard being a Mean Green Eagle in the middle of Elvis' Tiger land. Stay Hard and Stay Green!

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Must be hard being a Mean Green Eagle in the middle of Elvis' Tiger land.  Stay Hard and Stay Green!

It did hurt to see that score from the 2003 bowl for weeks after, every time the digital cable box started up. However, the UM fans themselves have a certain respect even though their team handled us pretty good. They have a good dose of underdog status in their dealings with the Volunteers. I would like to see them win against Tennessee, but appears not too likely. It will be interesting to see when USA Today gets around to Conf. USA which team is featured.

Do you realize this is a 4"x5" ad for North Texas and North Texas Athletics on the FRONT page of a NATIONAL paper displayed in every town and newsstand in the U.S.? Do you realize what that would cost if you could even BUY that kind of ad space? Has the University ever been on the front page of a National paper? Has the Music Dept. ever? Has Denton ever?

I showed the front page to some people at work and I never saw so many mouths drop open. A few asked if I had the cover "made", as in a gag. rolleyes.gif

The time is now to find that BIG donor!! cool.gif

Guest UNTMike81*

Man...this is great!!! Just like winning the lottory (sp)!!!

The USA Today giving NT this kind of INK. Believe me, this is like another fat Daddy paycheck form one of our OOC big money games and we didn't have any injuries or anything else. We need to send a TON of e-mails to USA today thanking them for the INK along with all of our thanks to Patrick, J-MO, Coaches, the team, and RV. There's a lot of Big XII, SEC, and others (name team and conference here) that don't or have never will recieved this kind of INK in a nation news paper. Picture below papers logo and font bottom quarter page of sports section and then P2 half page above the fold. On a non-BCS school. It may happen again because it's college preview week(s), but it wouldn't be happening if Patrick and J-MO hadn't carried the mail.

Our team will see a lot more of this kind of ink if we win some OOC games this year. I know I'm stepping out on a limb here but if D. Meager or another QB produces early and we win at LSU then the sky's the limit.

Whouldn't be suprised if DD and RF try to be more aggressive offensively at LSU to make game close or win game. This team already knows how to win and a win at LSU or our other OOC games is very doable. NT has beaten a lot of Big XII schools and others with a lot less talent than we have on this team.

Also, our business developement department needs to go to USA today and buy every returned (unsold) issue that ran today and send them to NT alums (sp) across the US. Then call them a week or two later and request a donation.

If the sunbelt or UNT had a hand in getting USA today to run this artical then we need to thank them too. Both the Sunbelt and UTN take a lot of abuse on this board and especially Scotties, so if they worked this pub with USA today both marketing departments deserve major Prop's.

I had some friends that were out of town in California calling me all day today to make sure that I didn't miss it. They're not NT alumn, but they thought it was cool and gave props.

But, if that suprise was not enough, I got another surprise from the athletic dept. I received an email from the athletic dept. (as I'm sure most of you did) before 11:00am that was to inform me of this event! For once the marketing dept. was current with current events. Normally it seems that we don't hear about this from the athletic dept until several days or weeks later.

Edited by FireFightnJoey

Guest UNTMike81*

It's good to know that we have a friends within the Gannett news paper Corporation. They are one of the largest news organizations in the US and they started/own USA Today. The sherveport Times is also owned by Gannett.

"The Mean Green play at 30,500-seat Fouts Field, which resembles an overgrown high school facility. Their only I-A consensus All-American is Mean Joe Greene (1968), whose photo hangs on the side of the small press box."

That part is not good media.  It may be true but they could have mentioned the new AC, practice fields, and future site for new facilities to balance the Fouts slam.  His pick of UNT behind MUTS and ULM also hurts.

Well, later on in the article, it mentions Dickey looking out in his brand new office on the other side of I-35 and laughing. They do hint that we are working towards getting better facilities.

Although the facilities press isn't the most positive piece of news, the bulk of the story was about how awesome our two RBs are. THAT'S great publicity. Every HS running back in the country should be calling up Dickey right now and requesting auditions. We should have lines coming out the back of Fouts! biggrin.gif

Fouts in disguise biggrin.gif

user posted image

Again, Fouts Field is an old stadium built about 1951. It doesn't have the best exterior appearance to those 50,000 who pass by it daily, but the inside of Fouts is where they play the game.

Anyone need further reminders as to another reason we are upgrading to a new football stadium at Eagle Point Campus? How about it's just the right time to do it, folks, and its going to happen sooner than later--mark it! cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I never would have seen this write-up if I hadn't checked the board yesterday. Unless I am in an airport, I don't ususally see or read USA Today. I did grab a copy and was totally stoked about the positive press we got. Wow! My son loved it, too!