Offensive Line

GrayEagle

This is a pretty decent group of offensive linemen with only three seniors; one starter and one likely backup. There are four juniors, four sophomores and five freshmen so there should be no gaping holes when one class graduates.

Josh Alexander SO 6-3 282 Fort Worth

Brian Amacker SO 5-11 267 Duncanville

Ajani Banks FR 6-3 325 Spring

Jeremy Brown SO 6-5 300 Tecumseh OK

Jack Crumes FR 6-4 230 Aldine

Drew Dubose FR 6-2 244 Humble

Gary Elmore JR 6-2 290 Saginaw (tfr Michigan State)

Joel Foster JR 6-4 268 Austin

Bryan Glass FR 6-0 280 Paris

Frank Gray JR 6-1 285 Allen

Dylan Lineberry JR 6-3 310 Galena Park

Jason May SR 6-4 295 Graham

Ephraim Patterson SR 6-3 280 Crosby

Chad Rose RF 6-3 285 Round Rock

Robbie Vanderslice SR 6-4 265 The Colony

Adam Venegas SO 6-3 305 Olathe KS

Starters: Brown, Foster, Lineberry, May, Rose

Backups: Alexander, Banks, Elmore, Patterson, Venegas

Sleeper: Glass

There are 16 candidates for the 15-man three deep roster. Because of size and his being the only freshman walk-on, I think that Dubose goes to the end of the line. I think that three of the four remaining freshmen will be on the third team, where they will be redshirted unless needed due to injury. Two of the first-line backups are somewhat of a guess. We lost Mazzola due to doctor's advice and he was second team after spring training. Micah West was lost to academics and he might have been second team also. Patterson, the listed starter (because Lineberry did not participate in spring drills) may be shifted back to center, where he was a backup at one time last year, behind Rose. The other two second teamers were not here last year....Elmore and Venegas. Elmore is a transfer from Michigan State and I haven't been able to find out much about him except that he had made the squad at State. One source listed him as playing in high school at Richland but as a resident of Saginaw he likely played at Boswell. Venegas did not play last year and lost a year of eligibility. But, a Kansas all-star as a senior and a state wrestling champion, he was thought to have great potential as a recruit in 2003. Glad to see him back in the fold. I see the freshman Banks as playing this year due to his size and potential. All of the starters except Rose have played enough to letter at least one season. It's also good to see Jason May back after a year's absence.

I'd say that this is a little better than average Sun Belt line and I would rate it a 6 for now and a 7 a few weeks into the season.

IMO we need more offensive linemen. There are four teams at the other positions so we need four or five more OL. Maybe we can find a JC lineman or two with some talent out there even at this late date.

We have a lineman who weighs 230 and another at  244. Are you kidding me.  I like the size of most the line as they are all around 300lbs.

Jack Crumbs played for Houston Eisenhower and is listed on the current roster as 6-4, 270, not 240. He was listed as 270 when he committed (.roster: Jack Crumes FR 6-4 230 Aldine)

It is interesting that he played center on their BB team and only went out for FB his Sr. Year in HS...coach called him his best OL even though it was his one sr.

Sorry Eagle 96 didn't go through the entire thread before posting.

Edited by OldTimer

Sorry, my typo. As everyone has figured by now, Crumes weighs 270, not 230. He will only have to put on 15-20 pounds, not 60.

I listed both Crumes and Stubblefield as being from Aldine. That is a school district located within the Houston city limits on the north side for all of you non-Htowners. Both went to Aldine Eisenhower. Also, North Shore High School is in the Galena Park School District but the high school is located within the Houston city limits.

There are about 20 players from the Houston area on the 2005 football squad. That's pretty good and could get better since Van Malone is on the staff and he's from Houston.

This quote came from Eisenhower coach Larry Haynes last football season:

"He (Jack Crumes) our best true offensive lineman. It's his first season to play football and is the starting post for our basketball team."

That sounds a better. Only being a fresh. in a couple years and he will be up around 290-300

Good point here. Although you some players have the capacity and ability to start as true freshman...most lineman have to go through the process of learning the schemes, while at the same time putting on weight and muscle (strength).

The real point here is that we have had, arguably, the best line in the SB the last four years and there is no reason to think that will not continue. wink.gif

Jack Crumbs played for Houston Eisenhower and is listed on the current roster as 6-4, 270, not 240. He was listed as 270 when he committed (.roster: Jack Crumes FR 6-4 230 Aldine)

It is interesting that he played center on their BB team and only went out for FB his Sr. Year in HS...coach called him his best OL even though it was his one sr.

Sorry Eagle 96 didn't go through the entire thread before posting.

Off the Athletic website:

Jack Crumes

# 76

Offensive Lineman - OL

Height: 6-4 Weight: 270

Freshman

Previous Affiliations

Eisenhower HS

Houston, TX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 05/27/2005

A natural to football, Crumes has only one year of experience under his belt but still managed to record 75 pancake blocks last season ... Was named honorable mention all-district last season ... Crumes was originally a basketball star at Eisenhower, starting at post for the Eagles.

The offensive line imo will remain a strenght of the team at least in Belt play. The starting line of Rose, Lineberry, May, Foster, and Brown should be after a few games experience as good as any at NT. Finding quality backups maybe an issue but barring injuries not a major problem. Many of the writers fail to realize that in reality NT has 4 starters returning not two. May was a starter in 2003 and considered one of the best and Brown started last year until an illness. Four starters returning including Lineberry who is lauded as the best offensive lineman in the conference should indicate good things for the Green.

Edited by GrandGreen

We are still way undersized on the OL for a D-IA program IMHO. We've improved a lot over the last several years, but need to keep adding height and weight up front. I just remember how big Southern Miss looked during the New Orleans Bowl.

Keith

Edited by keith

We do have a few lightweights but they are primarily walkons. We have six that weigh 290 or better and five more in the 280-290 range that may weigh close to 300 by the start of the season since most are at least 6-2.

The only one that I'd like to see with added weight is Joel Foster. He's got great technique but is going to be outweighed by nearly every defensive lineman that he faces.

We have some good talent here but we need about five or six more near 300 pounders IMO.