New Media Guide Suggests All Inside Fouts 30

What could be done by tail-gaters to see that even more NT fans, students and alums get inside Fouts Field 30 minutes before kick-off? Any new suggestions on that?

I have enjoyed going inside early to see all the video features shown on the Daktronics 30 minutes before kick-off.

Is sorta' nice to have more fans inside when the 400(?) member NT Green Brigade marching band makes its entrance into the stadium this Fall, too.

There needs to be a catchy sound, maybe ringing the bell over the loud speaker in the Stadium or something like that, something that grabs attention maybe the Dark Mark. If they Rang the bell for a few minutes, it would kinda get everyone moving.

Edited by Evan

Everyone knows what time the game starts... if they want to be there they will be there, if not they won't.

Sucks, but its the truth.

Fans, yes even good fans, get into habits and do things the way they want to do them. For instance... it wasn't until I was old enough to drive my own car to the game that I saw the end of a game at Floyd Casey because my crazy father leaves every football game he has ever been to early. He listens to the end on the radio.... why? To beat traffic... Its crazy but its the way ppl are sometimes.

Hell at LSU half those ppl dont ever even go into the stadium.. they sit outside and watch on TVs!

Short of free money, free beer or loose women you are not going to get all those folks inside Fouts this year. Maybe 5 years down the road when the emphasis switches you can get the students inside early, but other than that don't sweat it. Be glad that they are there.... be glad they are having a good time.... and hope that at some point they make their way through the gates for the count.

So let's PLEASE not beat this topic to death again this season..... its pointless.

Shane

Hell at LSU half those ppl dont ever even go into the stadium.. they sit outside and watch on TVs!

Yea, those are the tiger fans that couldn't get season tickets. They have no choice. The season ticket holders are in the stadium, ready to go. All 95,000 of them.

There needs to be a catchy sound, maybe ringing the bell over the loud speaker in the Stadium or something like that, something that grabs attention maybe the Dark Mark. If they Rang the bell for a few minutes, it would kinda get everyone moving.

The press box guys were using that loud Eagle screech sound on the Daktronics as an attempt to tell fans "time to head toward the stadium, all."

After checking on some football scores in my car at half time last Fall, I did see some teenagers (probably from Concrete City) who really looked out of place in the parking lots with all our vehicles. If NT had a policy that once the game has begun, that there can be no loitering in the parking areas because of potential auto break-ins that might encourage some.

For sure we can't tell fans what to do and where to do it, but maybe a few subtle attempts might get a few more fans inside Fouts 30 minutes before kick-off.

If NT had a policy that once the game has begun, that there can be no loitering in the parking areas because of potential auto break-ins that might encourage some.

yeah, tell college students they cant hang out in the parking lot during a football game and watch the backlash.....

Short of free money, free beer or loose women you are not going to get all those folks inside Fouts this year.

Well we've got the loose woment part already taken care of laugh.gif

Shane,

I couldn't agree more with you on this one. Somewhere I heard that football games were supposed to be fun. As long as Im not hurting anyone, damaging property or creating a menace, nobody has a right to tell me how to enjoy the Mean Green experience.

Personally, as long as I'm in my seat by the opeing kickoff I'm happy. Why should I be in the stadium 30 minutes early?....So I can watch the Mean Brigade march in and play Fly Like an Eagle one more time???? No thanks. Some people may enjoy it but it's not my cup of tea. Id rather spend that time cleaning up my tailgate and downing one more frosty beverage to lubricate the vocal chords so I can YELL LIKE HELL when the team takes the field.

Edited by Baby Arm!

Well we've got the loose woment part already taken care of laugh.gif

Shane,

I couldn't agree more with you on this one. Somewhere I heard that football games were supposed to be fun. As long as Im not hurting anyone, damaging property or creating a menace, nobody has a right to tell me how to enjoy the Mean Green experience.

Personally, as long as I'm in my seat by the opeing kickoff I'm happy. Why should I be in the stadium 30 minutes early?....So I can watch the Mean Brigade march in and play Fly Like an Eagle one more time???? No thanks. Some people may enjoy it but it's not my cup of tea. Id rather spend that time cleaning up my tailgate and downing one more frosty beverage to lubricate the vocal chords so I can YELL LIKE HELL when the team takes the field.

Actually, the Daktronics has become a big part of the pre-30 minute before kick-off ritual at Fouts Field. I also love to watch the HS recruits come in at the north end gate of the Press Box side and walk over to watch the NT co-eds AND whatever is on the Daktronics video board at the moment. There really are some interesting things other than just the Green Brigade that now go on 30 minutes before kick-off.

No one should be told to do anything except follow the rules, especially if NT institutes a "no loitering" in the parking lots during the game. I personally don't won't some of our Concrete City neighbor's teenage kids in the Green Parking Lot eye-balling my car and would have no problem with a "no loitering" in the campus parking lots near Fouts during a Mean Green football game. Just my .02.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Well they do have 80,000 plus in the stadium....

If we had that many fans this would not be a problem. Point is... when the team runs out onto the field people should be in their seats. I say 10 minutes before kickoff the guys in the press box play 10 VERY VERY loud eagle screechs. I miss the Baylor game acouple yrs acouple when the eagle screech was so loud it would frighten people... last yr it was toned down. mad.gif

TURN UP THE DARKTRONICS SOUND SYSTEM THIS YR.... WE NEED THE EAGLE SCREECH TO BE DEAFENING!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Here is what is boils down to ladies.... NEVER GONNA CHANGE.... deal with it... sorry it upsets you. But its just the way that it is.

Plummm you want everyone to be able to do their thing as long as its your thing?? Please. Thats outrageous...

And as far as the no loitering.... well I dont know what to tell you. The Cotton Bowl is in the middle of Fair Park, but do they tell everyone to leave the parking lot when the game starts??? Hell no.

Sometimes to do the good things in life you have to take a few risks.... if parking next to the "horrors of Concrete City" is the worst that you ever have to tolerate.... well then count yourself lucky.

Shane

Here is what is boils down to ladies.... NEVER GONNA CHANGE.... deal with it... sorry it upsets you. But its just the way that it is.

Plummm you want everyone to be able to do their thing as long as its your thing?? Please. Thats outrageous...

And as far as the no loitering.... well I dont know what to tell you. The Cotton Bowl is in the middle of Fair Park, but do they tell everyone to leave the parking lot when the game starts??? Hell no.

Sometimes to do the good things in life you have to take a few risks.... if parking next to the "horrors of Concrete City" is the worst that you ever have to tolerate.... well then count yourself lucky.

Shane

I am trying to see where any of my post suggest where I am "trying to make" anyone do anything. I don't tell people "this is the "N T" baseball cap we have to have, ie, one letter on top another; I don't tell people "this is the shade of green we must have"; I don't tell people that you MUST tailgate; in fact, I don't tell people anything. I don't care that much about what anyone does as long as it doesn't affect me, but on this forum, I just merely voice an opinion just as you do the same.smile.gif

This thread is merely an opinion thread dealing with a simple request from the NT Athletic Department from their just-out in the mail Mean Green Fan Guide that everyone try to get inside the stadium 30 minutes before kick-off. I am not so naive' as to think all fans will do that. Wouldn't even bet a paycheck that they would. Shaneb, most of my posts usually say: "Just my .02" as my comments on this subject are "just my .02" and like the old Boy Scout story, I've never tried to make the little ol' lady who didn't want to cross the street, well, that is, uh, cross the street.sad.gif Sorry you've misinterrpreted my intent as to suggest that I am trying to make anyone do anything.

I think the the part that I've said about NT police monitoring the parking lots suggesting all go inside (or leave the parking lots to wherever they want to go) may make sense to those of us who have had their car windows broken and vandalized. Even at the tech school I'm employed, we have a security guy on a golf cart circling our huge parking lots all day long non-stop. Unfortunately, this is a society you even have to lock your front doors at night anymore.

But FWIW, I don't understand anyone coming to Fouts Field to do all the tailgating and then not going inside the stadium for the main event. People can do what they want to do, but I don't want a bunch of teens who are obviously not going to the game hanging around in the parking lot eyeballing all our cars when that part can be nipped at the bud. wink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

One point that has been missed about getting into the stadium early is letting the players see how many people are there to support them. They will be finishing up their pre-game warm-ups and believe me, they do look up at the stands. It could be a real psychological boost to know there are a lot of fans already there 30 minutes or so before the game.

I hope a bunch of people do go in early for pregame stuff. But I'm not going to be one of them.

Seems to me that your car will be more secure if there are a bunch of people in the parking lot. I know if I saw someone breaking into a car I'd do something about it.

Now, if you leave a cooler full of beer in the back of your truck, I hope you're not too thirsty when the game is over. That's the one thing I lock up in the cab.

No one understands the issue of security better than me.

However, I don't understand the reluctance by some people to at least try and help create a "real" college football experience at Fouts. Not only for us, but for the team and students as well. There is nothing more uplifting for a team than to see fans come in early and cheer them as they are leaving the field after warm-ups. There is also nothing more uplifting for the fans and students than having a stadium full of fans to greet and/or participate with the Band when they make their entrance for the pre-game activities.

You only have to attend ONE Oklahoma football game to know what I'm talking about. OR, just about ANY High School game in the area for that matter.

Edited by SilverEagle

i am completely on board with people getting in 30 mins before kickoff. i really only care that the stands are full (as they're going to be) when the team runs onto the field, but 30 mins is good. what about if during any game where there are giveaways, being elligible for those ends at 15 mins before kickoff and the winner would have to be present to win during the fourth quarter. also, if t-shirts are given away (because i think i read on here that there is some tshirt promo this year) give them away also ending 15 mins before kickoff and give them away at the section entrances rather than the gate entrances, so that people will have to at least go up towards their seats to get the free stuff.

i am completely on board with people getting in 30 mins before kickoff.  i really only care that the stands are full (as they're going to be) when the team runs onto the field, but 30 mins is good.  what about if during any game where there are giveaways, being elligible for those ends at 15 mins before kickoff and the winner would have to be present to win during the fourth quarter.  also, if t-shirts are given away (because i think i read on here that there is some tshirt promo this year) give them away also ending 15 mins before kickoff and give them away at the section entrances rather than the gate entrances, so that people will have to at least go up towards their seats to get the free stuff.

That's a great idea! Personally, I don't see why people don't get into the game a little earlier anyway. Although the Green Brigade does a great job, it does get a little old listening to "Fly Like an Eagle" 50 times. (I'm sure they get sick of playing it.) However, it's a lot of fun to watch the team warm up and get in a few taunts to the opposing team while they're on the field. In just about any sporting venue, fans arrive early to the games. I can't see why it wouldn't work at NT.

In response to a few earlier posts, I think there should be a rule against loitering in the parking lot during games. I don't think that will make students angry, as some suggested. Students don't loiter in the parking lot during the week (or non-gameday weekends for that matter), so why should they be upset during the game? People who hang out in the parking lot during games are generally not doing things that are either legal or intelligent. If nothing else, it's not a bad idea to have a few campus police patrol the lot on occassion just to make sure everything's okay.

Last year, I left during the 2nd quarter to meet an out-of-town friend coming late to the game. On the way to meet him, I passed three different fraternities (this is not a slam on Greek life - just stating the facts) standing around listening to teeny-bopper music and drinking. I would bet my favorite NT shirt that more than half those kids were underage. That fact aside, with all the stuff that's been going on with fraternities on a national level lately, wouldn't it be better for them to be at the game, supporting our team? Recent posts on this board have indicated that many greeks value their relationships within their organizations even above (although a close second) to their alma mater. It would be nice to see the two intertwined a bit more. If all those greeks sitting out in the parking lot during games would come in and watch the game, rather than drop their letters off at the field and leave, our stands would look much better. We might actually be able to make the stands look like that stupid sorority picture they used to post on the website all the time.

oh, also, i am very against the eagle screech.  if i heard that thing coming from the statdium, there is no way i would walk in.

i love the eagle screech... and since i have a little pull in the department.... it stays.

you have been voted off the island