NT Exes Event

Stan R

Got a flyer in the mail stating that on July 19th at Joe T. Garcias in Ft. Worth (6:30 - 8:30) there will be an Exes event welcoming new High School students starting at NT in the fall. Sounded like a great idea, I'll be there and I wanted to let anyone else know who is in the area to feel free to attend. smile.gif

Does Lewisville have an NT Exes chapter? I see people with stickers everywhere, but I haven't heard about an actual chapter.

Also, the Exes called my husband ('03 grad) about donating money and stuff. He said he wanted to renew his membership, since it had expired. The girl told him she'd send the right paperwork in the mail so he could get re-signed up.

3 months later..... still nothing. wink.gif

Guest JohnDenver

If there is an active chapter in the DFW area, I'll be pleasantly surprised.  I haven't heard a thing about the Tarrant chapter in like 2 years.

During the football season the Dallas chapter arranges watching parties and places on north Greenville. Not too many people show up, but I still like that they make the effort. I went to the ASU gathering last year and brought half the people that showed up.

Guest JohnDenver

Does Lewisville have an NT Exes chapter? I see people with stickers everywhere, but I haven't heard about an actual chapter.

Also, the Exes called my husband ('03 grad) about donating money and stuff. He said he wanted to renew his membership, since it had expired. The girl told him she'd send the right paperwork in the mail so he could get re-signed up.

3 months later..... still nothing.  wink.gif

I know there is a Denton County chapter. I haven't been to one of their events in a couple years. I don't see their announcements anymore either. I think they are tired of people complaining... such is life.

I believe you can go online and renew... somewhere?

I know there is a Denton County chapter. I haven't been to one of their events in a couple years. I don't see their announcements anymore either. I think they are tired of people complaining... such is life.

I believe you can go online and renew... somewhere?

Here is a link to a page that gives two ways to renew. I renewed online and got my membership card today in the mail. What I'm unsure of is whether I created another instance of myself in their database (if I were a betting man, I'd bet I exist more then once in the database) since they don't do any searches to see if you've registered in the past.

Rick, yes there is a Tarrant County chapter. I attended some of the meetings a while back - like you said maybe 2 years ago. ScreamingEagleFan - I don' t know if he's still around anymore? Was the original organizer. Maybe it lost steam - who knows. Cowtown - do you still go to the happy hours out in the Fort?

Incidentally - I stopped going when all they did was for the most part host happy hours. With kids and work that doesn't fly for me. I mentioned they needed more family type outings (and events on weekends - a rangers game would be a great idea - maybe 1 a month?). I think this dinner at Joe T's is a great start. They need to meet more often and more consistently.

So - Rick are you coming to the event on the 19th? Guys lets be part of the solution here if possible.

Another reason why you may not have received any flyer - this may be a "Tarrant County" memebers only event - I believe Tarrant County requires an additional yearly donation in order to fund local events (don't quote me). At least I remember that being discussed in one of the early meetings. So you may not specifically be on the Tarrant mailing list. If you want I'd be happy to sign anyone up if they would like to be on the list to start attending events. I'm going to step up here and do all the necessary communication w/the home base. PM me if you would like me to get you some more specifics.

Edited by Stan R

The invite I recieved for the Joe T's send off party is for Monday, August 1st...

I guess they are doing many of these?

Seems like a pretty good idea. I will be there! Dinner buffet provided!

I'd guess they're trying to split it up a bit? Does your flyer say Tarrant county exes on the side or some other county?

Stan,

Directly after my interveiw with the Exes in April, I asked David and Sarah if they had someone in mind to RESTART the Tarrant County Chapter and they both said "No, but we'll let you know". There is no one listed on the site and the contact email goes nowhere as of right now. I have yet to hear from anyone so to me, that means there still is not a chapter and they have not found a chapter president yet. The flyer your talking about may be something completely separate, who knows. I know nothing about it. Can you scan it and send it to me please? If I can be there for it I will. I'm with you, I want to be part of the answer, but the problems can't get fixed until they are identified first. I'm tire of identifying, time to fix.

Rick

Stan,

Directly after my interveiw with the Exes in April, I asked David and Sarah if they had someone in mind to RESTART the Tarrant County Chapter and they both said "No,  but we'll let you know".  There is no one listed on the site and the contact email goes nowhere as of right now.  I have yet to hear from anyone so to me, that means there still is not a chapter and they have not found a chapter president yet.  The flyer your talking about may be something completely separate, who knows.  I know nothing about it.  Can you scan it and send it to me please?  If I can be there for it I will.  I'm with you, I want to be part of the answer, but the problems can't get fixed until they are identified first.  I'm tire of identifying, time to fix.

Rick

Understood. So I guess the leadership of the Tarrant local chapter dissolved then. Bummer. Allrighty I'll scan it tonight and have it up here as soon as I can.

Stan

Another reason why you may not have received any flyer - this may be a "Tarrant County" memebers only event - I believe Tarrant County requires an additional yearly donation in order to fund local events (don't quote me).  At least I remember that being discussed in one of the early meetings.

I hope there isn't another "donation" needed to help fund chapter events. The Exes doubled the membership fee a couple years ago so that chapters wouldn't need to do something like that. I understand that the chapter won't/can't cover all costs, but how much stuff is a chapter going to do in a year to constitute a need for additional funds?

Near as I can tell, there is no (easy) way to update the NT Exes website for future events short of emailing someone in Denton and hoping they remember to update the site. It be far better for the organization as a whole to get their own web domain (NTExes.org?) and then shell out sub-domains (Tarrant.NTExes.org & Denton.NTExes.org for example) for the chapters and then let them run their own chapter sites. If there isn't someone who wants to serve as a webmaster, then a simple portal could be provided that's easy to update. For $10/yr on domain registration and $25/month, you'd have one centralized place for the org and all its chapters to serve their pages from, rather then how it is now.

Why don't we have more chapters? I know of tons of alums still in the area, and yet we don't have meetings or anything? Not accusing anyone of anything, but out of curiosity, what does the NT Exes do with our money?

I have heard that they are currently working on getting more chapters, they hired someone for 'chapter development' . . . most of the nt exes money is spent on student scholarships, so it's put to good use.

That's good to hear. I just wish they'd get some more stuff for the alumni. I went to a few of the events, but I only encountered a handful of people, and while very nice, they were about 50 years older than I am. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) All they did was serve snacks and look at old yearbooks and chat.

I think it would be great to get some of the younger alums involved. We may not be able to contribute as much monetarily, but I'd certainly be more than happy to go to some college fairs and high schools, talk to some students about what NT offers, and tell them how much I enjoyed my stay. I'll bet a lot of the younger alums feel the same way.

OK,

So what is going on?

Stan are you helping get the tarrant chapter back on it's feet?

As far as I know when the honchos in Denton "restructured" the chapters it took what ever wind there was out or our sails, including my own. I really thought we had some good things going on down here in the fort, and if we had a little time we could have made it work.

But I am still very interested in getting involved and helping out however I can.

So is there really an event next week or not?

OK,

So what is going on?

Stan are you helping get the tarrant chapter back on it's feet?

As far as I know when the honchos in Denton "restructured" the chapters it took what ever wind there was out or our sails, including my own. I really thought we had some good things going on down here in the fort, and if we had a little time we could have made it work.

But I am still very interested in getting involved and helping out however I can.

So is there really an event next week or not?

WHOOPS! The date is August 1st.. My bad - I got confused with the Denton Outlaws meeting. Slap my wrist... I called my wife and she confirmst Aug. 1st.

AGAIN - August 1st.. wacko.gif

Live in Ft Worth and would be more interested in local chapter than UNT Exes which seems like a money hole with no payback -- of any sort. Please keep me in mind: drison@sbcglobal.net