Who Is The Greatest Non NT College Running Back

<>*<> AND A SECONDARY QUESTION: How many of all the above have you seen in person?

...........................................................................................................................................

Whoops! I "ONLY" left the great Eric Dickerson off this list.

I voted for Dickerson on the "other" because I saw as much of him (and fretted) when we played SMU as the Stangs' are going to fret when they meet the great Super Jamario Thomas in the Fall of 2006 when they visit venerable Fouts Field! rolleyes.gif

For myself, including Eric Dickerson I've seen 6 from the list.

***** Also, saw UT's Chris Gilbert in a Bluebonnet Bowl game at Rice Stadium. Saw UT's great fullback Steve Worster when he was in high school (Bridge City) in a bi-district game in the Clear Lake area (near NASA). Both could have been on the above list as much as the others, but you can only put 10 items down in any poll and I didn't want all UT RB's.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I voted for LT...two reasons:

I haven't seen many of the others play.

I saw him several times, including when he shredded UTEP for 400+ yards in a single game. I never saw him (at the collegiate level) get caught from behind; he is so strong that he'd just swat would-be tacklers off his back.

It really is kind of cool to me to see him succeed like he has in the NFL.

I saw Benson play in the UNT game where he had something like 49 yards TOTAL. I know he did very well the second go-around with us, however. I just didn't see anything so spectacular about him.

My Other was Doak Walker. I realize that most posters on this board do not go that far back but trying to tackle the Doaker was like trying to tackle your shadow. He was the most elusive back I've ever seen.

I have seen all of the ones in the poll except Abercrombie and McVea in person.

If I could pick a 1A, it would be Earl Campbell. He was simply power personified.

All are good selections but there have been so many great backs in Texas. Jack Pardee (A&M), Donny Anderson (TT), Kyle Rote (SMU), Kenneth Davis (TCU), and Dicky Moegle (RU), as well as the aforementioned Eric Dickerson are some of the outstanding Texas running backs that didn't make the list.

I've seen all the players listed in the poll play, they were and are very good backs. However, the greatest running back I've ever seen play was Pistol Pete Pedro who played at West Texas from 1960 to 1964. Pete injured a leg while playing NT his Sr. year and never fully recovered. None the less he was drafted by the New England Patriots, and stayed on their roster for several years, never played due to the leg injury.

I wouldn't say he belongs in that list, but watching Ja'Mar Toombs for A&M was a treat. I remember watching him drag three guys into the end zone on several occasions. He played for a while with the Dallas Desperados, and I have no clue where he is now.

Ricky Williams was pretty amazing. You just knew that after banging on the line six or seven times he was ready to break a long one. I saw him set the single game rushing record against Iowa State one night in Austin. He was unstoppable.

Though Doak Walker was ahead of my time my dad was an SMU fan because of him. Doaker was also incredibly versatile as well.

I've seen all the players listed in the poll play, they were and are very good backs. However, the greatest running back I've ever seen play was Pistol Pete Pedro who played at West Texas from 1960 to 1964. Pete injured a leg while playing NT his Sr. year and never fully recovered. None the less he was drafted by the New England Patriots, and stayed on their roster for several years, never played due to the leg injury.

buff64, did you ever see the great Abner Haynes play when he was at NORTH TEXAS?

I remember hearing people in the Houston area where I grew up talk about Haynes back in the day and then I recall getting to watch him as (what Lamar Hunt called) the first super star in the American Football League.

Heard a caller on KRLD's Sport Central a couple decades ago (who said he did not atttend NT) say Abner Haynes was the best running back he'd ever seen come out of any Texas university.

PS: What about the other West Texas State RB who went by the nickname "Mercury?" smile.gif