All-Time QB's at North Texas

UNTLifer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Scott was pretty fearless and could run or throw, but that also describes Jordan Case. Jordan had a congenital back problem that caused him to constantly play with pain, and in some cases, spend some days during his junior season on crutches. He had probably the best arm of any QB I've seen at North Texas. He threw "lasers" and "touch passes" with equal ability. He was probably the most nimble and deft scrambler that I have ever watched at North Texas.

Your right about Jordan case having more talent to work with. His junior year (his statistical best) he had the services of the great (and late) Bernard Jackson. But what many people forget is that that backfield also had one of the best fullbacks to ever play at North Texas.... Fred Gordon (6'3"X 235lbs and VERY QUICK of the line and a great receiver, as well as runner).

Edited by SilverEagle

Here are my top 10:

1. Jordan Case---He was so good in '78. It was sad to see what Jerry Moore and his coaches did to Jordan and Bernard Jackson during '79 season.

2. Kenny Washington

3. Mitch Maher

4. Scott Davis

5. Joe Stevenson

6. Greg Carter (very underrated; lead us to our first 1-AA playoff berth in '83)

7. Andrew Smith (First bowl win since 1947 or so. )

8. Kenny Smith (great backup during Kenny Washington era)

9. Glen Ray (another backup; makes list for leading us to win over Tennessee in '75)

10. Scott Hall (was a good QB; will always think he might have been a great safety)

Mitch Mayer (sp?) was the best QB in the modern era without a doubt. I watched him dismantle an OSU defense for 400 yards plus so many other games in which he just refused to make silly mistakes. He could pass under pressure with the best of them, and he made excellent decisions. If we had a Mitch Mayer on the roster with this year's team, we just might beat LSU--that is how good he was. He could have played for anyone.

As much as I loved Scott Davis and the 88 Texas game (he will always be remembered for that), he did not have the raw talent of Mayer.

Being that I have only been here 3 years now and following NT closely for 4 I am going to have to go with Scott Hall because of the leadership he brought NT. Hall was a great guy to talk to and always kept his composure on the field even if he lacked the ability to be a great QB he never let that force him into mistakes. Of course it may have been that he didn't throw enough to be allowed to become a great QB but we will never know.

Well, I have to go with Davis, too - even though I never saw him take a snap. The videos I have watched of him put him at the top in my book. Second would be Hall, simply because I have never seen any of those QB's from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's (in person or on film)... Since we went back up to IA in the mid 90's, there have been two competent QB's in Denton - Hall and Maher. Maher is a turncoat and cheers for ASU now... I hope he is never allowed in our Hall of Fame.

By the way, Voice of Reason, can you tone down the rhetoric in your sig line. Maybe just take it down about 4 font sizes? I am not offended by the saying or anything but it looks really big on my computer, it is about 10 times the size as the letters in your post (letters' size)

Edited by stebo

I've got to go with Steve Ramsey. He did have a major fault, he tried too hard and thought that he could complete every pass, i.e. he would throw into coverage. He had a great touch on the ball that made it easy to catch. Yes, he had a couple of great receivers, Ron Shanklin and Barry Moore, in his era but he also helped them succeed.

The game that I'll always remember was Homecoming in 1968. Steve was matched against Greg Cook of Cincinnati, a great passer in his own right. The game started in good weather but before the half a strong thunderstorm drenched Fouts. They swapped touchdowns for nearly three quarters regardless of the rain. Finally, we scored a couple of touchdowns late and won by 21. I was surprised at the number of fans that stayed through the downpour.

Here are my top 10:

1. Jordan Case---He was so good in '78. It was sad to see what Jerry Moore and his coaches did to Jordan and Bernard Jackson during '79 season.

2. Kenny Washington

3. Mitch Maher

4. Scott Davis

5. Joe Stevenson

6. Greg Carter (very underrated; lead us to our first 1-AA playoff berth in '83)

7. Andrew Smith (First bowl win since 1947 or so. )

8. Kenny Smith (great backup during Kenny Washington era)

9. Glen Ray (another backup; makes list for leading us to win over Tennessee in '75)

10. Scott Hall (was a good QB; will always think he might have been a great safety)

Very impressive and comprehensive list SUMG. On your list I would put Joe Stevenson ahead of Kenny Washington. I would have it #2 Mitch Maher, #3 Joe Stevenson, #4 tie between Kenny Washington and Scott Davis.

Ken Smith and Glenn Ray are good additions. A friend of mine covered North Texas during that era (for the Gainesville Paper) and it was his assessment that both K. Smith and G. Ray were better than Washington.

Since we went back up to IA in the mid 90's,  there have been two competent QB's in Denton - Hall and Maher.  Maher is a turncoat and cheers for ASU now... I hope he is never allowed in our Hall of Fame.

Maher's last season was the year before the jump back to 1-A. I remember the last regular season game against NE LA in 1994. Simon let Jason Mills start to rest Mitch for the playoffs and we got a taste of what was to come(the exception being the win over Oregon State in 1995) post Maher. It made me realize what a great QB Mitch was.

Mitch Maher was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2000. I can see why he supports ASU as he is a preacher in the local community and has to throw his hat into the ring. The preacher that married me and my better half used to preach in Bonham. The Methodist hierarchy moved him to Decatur and he said that as the preacher in Decatur, it is "understood" that he will be at the stadium on Friday nights". I wish Mitch would support his alma mater but I understand why he shows support for ASU. it comes with the territory. STEBO, as a former business owner, I would think that if you owned a bar in Ann Arbor, you would probably not have Spartan gear hanging all over the place.

Edited by Eagle-96

Maher's last season was the year before the jump back to 1-A. I remember the last regular season game against NE LA in 1994. Simon let Jason Mills start to rest Mitch for the playoffs and we got a taste of what was to come(the exception being the win over Oregon State in 1995) post Maher. It made me realize what a great QB Mitch was.

Mitch Maher was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2000. I can see why he supports ASU as he is a preacher in the local community and has to throw his hat into the ring. The preacher that married me and my better half used to preach in Bonham. The Methodist hierarchy moved him to Decatur and he said that as the preacher in Decatur, it is "understood" that he will be at the stadium on Friday nights". I wish Mitch would support his alma mater but I understand why he shows support for ASU. it comes with the territory. STEBO, as a former business owner, I would think that if you owned a bar in Ann Arbor, you would probably not have Spartan gear hanging all over the place.

Mitch was at the last NT/ASU game that I went to in Jonesboro. Not only did he sit on the ASU side; but he refused to tell Jub-Jub who he was rooting for during the half-time interview. I would certainly expect him to "fit in" at his new location (especially due to his job) - but to openly cheer for the opposing team against your own alma mater (where you are a Hall of Famer - didn't know that) is just a terrible thing. Surely his flock could understand his love for the school that paid his way for college and allowed him to be inthe position that he is in today. If they are so backwards that they can't be understanding of his situation for one friggin game than Mitch needs to work on his preaching about compassion and tolerance skills. To me, it is unforgivable unless he asks for forgiveness. I have yet to see him acknowledge that he did anything wrong. He let down his own team that day; along with fans like me that idolized him back in the early to mid 90's.

Sure, no problem.

Thanks - BTW - that quote is incorrect as well. I didn't know it when I asked you to tone it down; but I saw this post over on Voy and did a little research to see if it had any merit (it ended up to be true)... The quote is one of those urban legends that has grown on the internet. Unfortunately, it was never said by Reagan; just said TO him by someone... and then repeated by Bush. Here is the post about it from the Voy board (check the link afterwards for substantiation, that site is dedicated to finding whether or not internet information is fact or fodder, your particular quote happens to be fodder)... So if you want to keep the quote because you like it and believe in it, you might just want to take the "Ronald Reagan" attribute from it; because he never said it. Heck, it can be your own quote if you believe strongly in it; just don't pin it on one of my heroes (Reagan) please, he never actually said it.

Here is the post and the link that backs it up:

Actually that signature line has a couple of things wrong with it

1) It's a misquote. The text of the quote is wrong

2) It never happened. It's another one of those 'urban legend' quotes that was never said, and has recently morphed into GW Bush supposedly saying it.

3) Even the urban legend doesn't have Reagan saying the quote, It supposedly was said to him

Check it out on http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/fetal.asp

Edited by stebo

Mitch was at the last NT/ASU game that I went to in Jonesboro. Not only did he sit on the ASU side; but he refused to tell Jub-Jub who he was rooting for during the half-time interview. I would certainly expect him to "fit in" at his new location (especially due to his job) - but to openly cheer for the opposing team against your own alma mater (where you are a Hall of Famer - didn't know that) is just a terrible thing. Surely his flock could understand his love for the school that paid his way for college and allowed him to be inthe position that he is in today. If they are so backwards that they can't be understanding of his situation for one friggin game than Mitch needs to work on his preaching about compassion and tolerance skills. To me, it is unforgivable unless he asks for forgiveness. I have yet to see him acknowledge that he did anything wrong. He let down his own team that day; along with fans like me that idolized him back in the early to mid 90's.

I hear ya Stebo. I'll admit I was miffed when I first realized he supported ASU. It felt like a shot to the guts. It just made a little more sense when I heard the explanation from the preacher in Decatur.

The athletic site has a great link to the NT Hall of Fame with a write up on each member(by year):

http://www.meangreensports.com/SportSelect...=581&SPSID=9494

Haven't been around long (since 2001), but my favorite is Andrew Smith. I was always amazed by his arm strength, and was in his corner even when it wasn't the popular place to be.

Last season was tough, but to know that without a doubt this would have been his year to let loose, it will be tough once again. All we can do is turn his untimely passing into a small positive by making it known that no matter how talented you are, or how bright your future is, you are not immune from the consequences of drugs and alcohol. Good judgement is a crapshoot when using these substances, and everything can be ruined in one instant. Perhaps putting a face and story with these messages will prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

Sorry if that was a downer, but it is something I feel strongly about.

Just imagine if Johnny Quinn were on the other end of Andrew's bombs instead of George Marshall....

Unforgivable? Is that really that big of deal? I think Mitch is the one with his priorities right on this one. We are talking about a game here...not allegiance to your country. I heard the interview and thought that he showed a lot of class and handled it well. I wish all of our alums had their heads on as straight as Mitch Maher.

Stebo, I can understand your disappointment regarding Mitch Maher. I was a little surprised that he tried to be a fence-straddler at the interview. But, lest you feel that he has totally abandoned us, he IS a Mean Green Club member at the $500 level as I understand it. If every living ex-letterman gave at that level we'd probably have something like $10 million coming in each year. I can now forgive him.

#1 in your program. #1 in my heart. Scott Davis.

I always felt that as long as he was in the game, we had a legit chance to win.

Scott used to wear a goofy little stud in one ear and rode around Denton on a red Vespa type scooter. When my kids were grade school age, we would invite Scott over for pizza. My sons thought he was off-the-charts cool.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy season tickets

GO MEAN GREEN