A valid poll

Harry

2001, 2002, 2003 or 2004?

1). 2002 - It was a huge year as the Mean Green defeated Cincy with a RS freshman QB and very good defense led by Brandon Kennedy. Probably the high level mark for UNT as a program.

2). 2001 - Big year as it was the first bowl game in 40 years and the start of something special. The turnaround after Louisiana Monroe was book worthy. Colorado State manhandles the Green but didn't take away from a special season.

3). 2004 - The year of Jamario. UNT lost Drew Smith and several key players prior to the season and still managed to go undefeated in conference. A flawed gameplan left the Mean Green overmatched against USM but still a pretty nice season with the emergence of Thomas after Cobbs was lost.

4). 2003 - BK wasn't the same but Cobbs came up huge. Lost to a talented Memphis team in the bowl but kept it respectable.

I realize that many will put 2002 as #1 since we won that bowl game but I'm interested as to where you will put the others...

I would say we have played some quality teams in Colo St., Memphis, and USM. Cincy and their (lack of) fans was a mess and we should have made a larger statement against them. That win in 2002 was the best game for us although nothing will beat the experience of the first trip in 2001 and the whole Bowl atmosphere that year.

For me it was 2001.

I walked into the Superdome fully expecting that there were only going to be a few hundred North Texas fans there. I was shocked to see the stands full of Mean Green fans, clearly dwarfing the Colorado State crowd. (for those of you familiar with Monty Python's Holy Grail, it was similar to the final scene when King Arthur yells CHARGE and an army suddenly appears) Where did all these other Mean Green people come from?

We may have been beaten on the field that day, but I saw that a lot of people really cared for our team. I knew then that we'd be all right in the long term.

2002 was also great because we were so confident we'd win, won the game, and then got to crow about the victory all night on Bourbon Street.

2003 and 2004 were special because of the quality opponents and the fans they brought to New Orleans. The only drawback was that we lost both games.

For me it was 2001.

I walked into the Superdome fully expecting that there were only going to be a few hundred North Texas fans there. I was shocked to see the stands full of Mean Green fans......Where did all these other Mean Green people come from?

I felt the same way. I saw North Texas fans I never saw at games in Denton. I learned many came from far away places just to watch a North Texas football game, on a weeknight, and in a strange city. I too felt we could travel anywhere and were in OK shape as a true 1-A program!

For me it was 2001.

I walked into the Superdome fully expecting that there were only going to be a few hundred North Texas fans there. I was shocked to see the stands full of Mean Green fans, clearly dwarfing the Colorado State crowd. (for those of you familiar with Monty Python's Holy Grail, it was similar to the final scene when King Arthur yells CHARGE and an army suddenly appears) Where did all these other Mean Green people come from?

We may have been beaten on the field that day, but I saw that a lot of people really cared for our team. I knew then that we'd be all right in the long term.

2002 was also great because we were so confident we'd win, won the game, and then got to crow about the victory all night on Bourbon Street.

2003 and 2004 were special because of the quality opponents and the fans they brought to New Orleans. The only drawback was that we lost both games.

You shouldn't have mentioned crow on a thread that Stebo will no doubt read.

Other than that, my sentiments are exactly the same as ADLERs.

• 5 weeks later...

I would say we have played some quality teams in Colo St., Memphis, and USM.  Cincy and their (lack of) fans was a mess and we should have made a larger statement against them.  That win in 2002 was the best game for us although nothing will beat the experience of the first trip in 2001 and the whole Bowl atmosphere that year.

The Cinn. game...... observation...... Cinn. had poor fan support but was able to move to the Big East.

Football sure wasn't the reason, I guess for basketball reasons.