SATURDAY'S DH

UNT_92_Fan

This isn't aimed to Pit Crew, Alumni, Talons, or anyone in particular....but lets show up AS A SCHOOL...and get loud for these Men and Women....

THe Ladies had a rougher start than we expected but they play MTSU i believe on saturday and a few players have asked me if we can get loud and crazy for them....So Lets do it!

The Mens Team is coming off a GREAT game the other night and are looking to start a big run!

See ya Saturday!!!!

GMG!

I think there will be a strong showing of fans, but what about the cheerleaders. Seriously, why are there only 4 or 5 there every game. I didnt say anything during the break, even though the whole dance team found a way to make it. Ive waited until school got back in swing, and I've given them a chance to show up, but they haven't. I have probably seen once or twice where most or all of the cheerleaders have been there this spring. Im not flaming anyone, I am seriously asking, what gives?

I think there will be a strong showing of fans, but what about the cheerleaders.  Seriously, why are there only 4 or 5 there every game.  I didnt say anything during the break, even though the whole dance team found a way to make it.  Ive waited until school got back in swing, and I've given them a chance to show up, but they haven't.  I have probably seen once or twice where most or all of the cheerleaders have been there this spring.  Im not flaming anyone, I am seriously asking, what gives?

I think CO Green said last basketball season that the cheerleaders are not on scholarship and need a job to help pay for school. While I agree that school is getting expensive and that the cheerleaders should be given some sort of monetary compensation to help out with expenses, I think that they should make a more of an effort to make it to the games. It is bad to see 3-4 cheerleaders there when we could have about 10-12 there easy!! And the people on the squad should be on the squad to be a cheerleader first and a competitor second. I am not trying to knock the accomplishments of winning 3 National Championships (y'all are awesome), but the reason why a school has cheerleaders is to LEAD CHEERS!!!

On a different note, I think instead of pointing the finger at the cheeleaders and say, "Be there" (which would no doubt piss them off) why don't we present it to RV that the cheerleaders have a "Scholarship Fund" set aside just for cheerleaders? And we, as fans and supporters, can donate money to the fund and help cover some of their schooling so they can afford to take off on Thursdays and Saturdays for games. Plus the cheerleaders won't be mad at us for pointing the finger at them and accuse them of not being there, etc!!

That sucks about the cheerleaders not getting scholarships, but all of the dancers can show up? Are they on scholarship? Also, aren't there 2 squads of cheerleaders? If there were, they could alternate. Here is an idea, for each game, invite varsity cheerleaders from area high schools to come and cheer with the NT cheerleaders. Maybe they could get some sort of NT uniform (maybe shirt and shorts) and blend in with the NT cheerleaders. I agree, 3 is better than two, but not good enough.

Hey y'all I bet y'all are wondering a lot about the cheerleaders, so I am here to give you all the answers. Most of you have probably been seeing about 5 cheerleaders at the games. 2 guys and 3 girls. This is actually the amount that is supposed to be there. At this point we have 4 guys currently on the squad and we have 10 girls. We already started out the year short on guys and we lost some more over the break and we lost 2 girls over the break as well. The problem with this is that the cheer schedules we have for the games we are supposed to cheer was made far out in advance and with 4 guys and 10 girls it is pretty impossible to have all of us there at every game. At the games where you saw the minimum amount of cheerleaders the people that were scheduled to cheer were the ones who left. While it would be nice to fill in all those gaps, with the schedules that we have it is fairly difficult. I would, however, like to thank you for all of your support and your understanding in this matter.

Hey CO Green. I know you clarified a lot last year on the cheerleader stuff, but can you reclarify again on some stuff? Ok it was mentioned before that the cheerleaders need to have jobs to pay for school and other bills. Understandable, everyone can use the money. But what I find odd is that all the cheerleaders can suddenly find the time and get the time off from work to attend football games (you would need practically the entire afternoon off to do the Mean Green March and then set up for the game) but you can't take two nights off from work to go to a basketball game? And even on Thursdays and Saturdays you can work during the day and then get off of work at say 5:30 to make it. Night classes might pose a problem because you can't skip those, but why can't the cheerleaders make just as good of an effort to come to basketball games as they do football games? Sure, more people like football, but you are to support your teams as a cheerleader (as well as a common fan, I am not trying to point a finger at you guys) no matter what the sport. So would it be a big thing to have ALL of the cheerleaders there with the only exception being if you have a night class on Thursdays? Because it sure is nice to see games on TV and they have their ENTIRE squad on the court cheering.

But don't get me wrong either. I love the ones that come out. Y'all have been great. smile.gif

Hey GreenBrigadeDebbie, the thing that makes football easier is Saturday. It is a lot easier to work on the weekdays and have Saturday off for football. Problem with working during the day and then cheering the game at night is simple time issue. Most students don't get out of classes till about 1 or 2. If you take that into consideration and give them an hour for lunch and travel to work then they are getting there about 2 or 3 at the earliest. Then they have to leave work and come back to Denton for the game which leaves the time they leave at the latest 5:30. Well one person would have a 3.5 hour shift and the other a 2.5 hour shift. It just doesn't make sense for it to work like that. But I would like to thank you for acknowledging those cheerleaders who have been there doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Rudy, tryouts will be at the end of April. About the 2 squads thing, we haven't had that for a long time, about 4 or 5 years now. Another thing I've noticed is the mention of entire squads at basketball games at other schools, at a vast majority of those schools, one squad cheers mens games while the other cheers womens.

I hope this has clarified some of the issues for you. I will try to let you guys know what is going on for the most part because I do value your opinions as the fans. Thanks for all of your support! GMG!

Hey CO Green. Thanks for the clarification. I wish we could start like a scholarship fund for you guys. Even if we can't afford to give out full scholarships, I think anything would help and maybe get you guys out to games more. But you guys have been great over there and very loud. For 4 or 5 people you guys sound like 10. Keep up the good work guys. You make me proud. biggrin.gif

COG, do you know if and when we might use the "North Texas Mean Green" chant that Rick talked about during the Pep Rally before the New Orleans bowl? I think someone even made a cool flyer that tells fans how the chant works.