Mean Green beat Lamar 70-66

SUMG

An ugly start.....but it doesn't matter how you start, it's how you finish........

We're now 3-1 and have a big home game next Saturday against TCU.

Our defense is incredible this year.

Hop had 22 , all in the 2nd half.

Ty Thomas kept us in the game, with 14 of our 30 1st half points.

Everyone contributed......to this win. Great win, Mean Green!

I sincerely believe that we were able to eliminate 2-3 of Lamar's top players by yelling at them. I think that Raymond only had 2 points in the 2nd half of the game. I really beleive that we got into his head.

I am very proud of this team and how hard they played tonight, any time you come from behind it makes the victory so much sweeter.

Once again, we saw that our depth on this team is paying off. Coach Jones can constantly make player changes during a game at any time, and still be very effective.

Way to go guys!!!

I was at the game tonight. Unfortunately, I had to sit next to a Lamar (Lam-er) "fan." He was all smiles and talking trash at first when UNT was getting all of the charging fouls against them and when Lam-er was ahead by 10. When UNT cought up before halftime and some of the charging fouls started to go against Lam-er, it was "home cookin'" referees.

Yea, that's exactly what it was. There were no real problems with the refs tonight and the charge calls were consistant both sides all night. Only one charge call in the 2nd half because the teams figured out the the refs were calling it. The Lam-er fan was pretty much quite for the second half.

Did Billy Tubbs get cought on a recruiting violation or something? I remember he was with TCU, then I thought he went to Oklahoma St. Then I see him on the bench for Lam-er. Talk about a fall from grace.

This looks like the best passing team we've had in a long time (maybe back to the Pat Hicks days, for you oldtimers). Everyone looks to make the extra pass instead of settling for the jumpshot.

Sturns is going to be a good player for us; he has a real take-charge attitude for a freshman and is very athletic. He's really out of control right now though, and JJ needs to reel him in some. Quincy Williams did some good things as well. He and Barnett got trashed inside by their big man Fairley, though.

Hopkins was excellent in the second half, but we won't be able to afford the disappearing acts for long stretches once we get into conference play.

Love watching Mike Jones play defense. He's a valuable two way player for us.

Overall, a lot to be optimistic about. We could go into conference play 8-3 if thing break right for us. Twenty wins is definitely not out of the question.

Tubbs retired from TCU and then Lamar hired him as the Athletic Director. He now serves as their AD and basketball coach I believe. I think he wanted to coach the team for a couple of years to get it out of the cellar so that he could bring in a good coach to move it forward. He has done a fine job so far. Tubbs is doing for Lamar what Lou Henson did for NMSU, helping out an old friend that was in trouble of losing their program's storied history... I believe that Tubbs is a Lamar alumnus.

I made the game tonight. We are about 200% better then we were two years ago. JJ is the real deal and now that he has "his" players things are really clicking. There is one true star on the team and that is Hopkins but the surrounding cast is filled with people that can take his place when he graduates. I was very proud of the team tonight.

Edited by stebo

Some game thoughts:

Wow, what a horrible start. Being completly humilated in the paint as well as behind the arc. Blocking out was horrible during that stretch. Then, the switch was flipped. Suddenly we were after every loose ball, getting many rebounds, and the shots started dropping. Ty Thomas had the best game of his North Texas career. Up until this point I thought he was going to graduate and never contribute. Here is hoping we see more games like that from him in the future. Quincy I thought did very well. His play was a result of being in a good position. While his man may have beaten him on occasion, he made their center work for any points or rebounds over him. I hope to see much more minutes logged for Q. Billy Tubbs was a class act. We ribbed him pretty hard from the tip-off and he took it very well. One time he asked us if we wanted him to come into the stands ala Detroit/Indiana. In the end he came over and uttered good job to everybody. A really classy guy that took the verbal abuse from everybody for what it is (just a good college atmosphere). Crowd was pretty into the game. I really think we can get some good attendance this season.

I think TCU's win against TTU was an anomaly. With their recent loss to TAMUCC I really think we have a good shot at them this Saturday.

Go Mean Green.

the pit crew has a lot of talk, but i have seen maybe 12 at most at the games. i was sitting near them tonight and didn't even hear that much yelling... at least not "raymond" for 35 minutes. alot of times they were sitting on the rail talking, not the usually sign switchin' focused fan group. we need to really get people there this week when we beat TCU, team looked poor first half, but came through big in the end. anyways. . . don't mean to be a skeptic with the "crew" but bring more people, not just crew people... but general fans... the group seems too inclusive, meaning all about the pit crew not about other fans. you have great spirit for the game, but we need more... it was awesome when we took the lead for the first the pit went crazy, what if we had 5 .... 6 thousand!! ah, that will be a nice thought to fall asleep too... much love

but the best moment was when Billy Tubbs fired back at the Pit Crew.

Ahh sounds like the pit crew was out in force tonight. Great times!

andrewrozell-dont worry, the pit crew will grow, and get louder as the season goes on. I'm sure there were not many students there tonight, b/c not everyone has returned from break yet, but once more students are there, they too join in yelling with the pit. You just watch and see.

Ahh sounds like the pit crew was out in force tonight. Great times!

andrewrozell-dont worry, the pit crew will grow, and get louder as the season goes on. I'm sure there were not many students there tonight, b/c not everyone has returned from break yet, but once more students are there, they too join in yelling with the pit. You just watch and see.

I know for one that I wasn't able to attend the game since I am still in Houston for the break, but would have liked to have been at the game if in Denton. The Pit Crew will grow, and hopefully by the time that conference rolls around, the Crew will be much larger.

Rozell...I see where you are coming from...BUT...half the "inclusive" group that is usually there was still outta town for the holiday and TCU is gonna be our hardcore kick off. We are working on a big tailgate party with Performers....and paintin up and such....Instead of sitting behind us...come up and join us....

Tubbs retired from TCU and then Lamar hired him as the Athletic Director.  He now serves as their AD and basketball coach I believe.  I think he wanted to coach the team for a couple of years to get it out of the cellar so that he could bring in a good coach to move it forward.  He has done a fine job so far.  Tubbs is doing for Lamar what Lou Henson did for NMSU, helping out an old friend that was in trouble of losing their program's storied history... I believe that Tubbs is a Lamar alumnus.

I made the game tonight.  We are about 200% better then we were two years ago.  JJ is the real deal and now that he has "his" players things are really clicking.  There is one true star on the team and that is Hopkins but the surrounding cast is filled with people that can take his place when he graduates.  I was very proud of the team tonight.

My opinion only, but I believe Tubbs is grooming his top assistant, Steve Roccaforte, to take over the head coaching position someday. Roccaforte heads up Lamar's BB recruiting and has brought in some darn good talent. The two of them will get Lamar back on the map.

My opinion only, but I believe Tubbs is grooming his top assistant, Steve Roccaforte, to take over the head coaching position someday. Roccaforte heads up Lamar's BB recruiting and has brought in some darn good talent. The two of them will get Lamar back on the map.

Left out from this thread is the fact that for a few years Billy Tubbs was also a UNT assistant coach under the great Bill Blakely. In fact, I took a class that Billy Tubbs taught as one of my electives. Took it (among other reasons than just 3 credits) because I thought Billy was humerous from his antics on the coach's bench alongside Blakely. He took that same humor to the classroom, too.smile.gif

What was funny was how so many of us wanted (and wrote letters on his behalf since there was no email in that day) to get Billy Tubbs back in Denton to take over when Blakely left but seems the UNT administration didn't think Billy had so great a future. ONLY in Mean Green Country, folks, only in MG Country!:(

BTW, anyone see Bill Blakely at last night's game?

Am going to try to make the TCU game this next Saturday night at the Super Pit. Has the makings of a good game, eh? smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I would like to echo what Zeke said about Thomas and Williams. Especially Thomas. He had shown little to no scoring ability until last night and he really carried the primarily defensive unit that was on the court for most of the first half on the offensive end. That was critical because it allowed us to come back with a group out there that was our best defensive combinations. Then when the second half came, Leonard Hopkins was unleashed and we hit our free throws and won. It was a good win, and it was good for the development of the team that we won despite a cold shooting first half.

It is so important we get out as many fans as possible for the TCU game.

Here's some of my game impressions:

- Man, we finally have a point guard. Hines is not your flashy type (ie shake and bake Kyle Crawford - thought to be the point guard cornerstone of Vic Trilli's recruiting classes) but he gets the job done and makes VERY few mistakes. His is a force rebounding the ball, in fact he has instincts comparable to former UNT player SEMO Washington. He knows where the ball is going to be. I mean 9-boards that is unheard of for a point guard. He is also terrific on defense when he has a player in his size range. He can break the press like nobody's bidness.

- Mike Jones looks like a different player. He has a smooth jumper and is not forcing up threes like he did at times last year. He is also very tenacious defensively. He has taken on the role of a leader on the floor

- Sturns...man what can you say about this kid. Very athletic. He is tall but has somewhat short arms for a guy of his height. He seems to handle the ball pretty well and it's odd seeing a guy that tall bring the ball up the floor. He is a fantastic passer. There was one playe when he drove down the lane did a 360 and dished the ball to Barnett for the dunk. Barnett had no idea that the ball was coming. I agree that Sturns is so explosive that he sometimes plays out of control - Johnny could reel him in some at times. Very emotional firey player. Great addition!

- Leonard Hopkins looks healthy and focused. He is the "THE" guy this year and he plays with an air of confidence. Let's hope he can stay healthy as he is the best outside shooter we have and can create shots with the best of em. Leonard looks lighter and quicker on his feet than in past seasons.

- Calvin Watson had a tough night as he got in early foul trouble. Still he is tall and has a nice shooting touch. Also - like the entire team - he looks to pass first.

- Most had written both Ty Thomas and Ron Harris off - both showed me something last night. Thomas made some huge shots especially one where he put the trajectory 4 feet higher than the basket to get up and over their big guy. Harris lost the handle on a ball down low and fought to steal it back and battled their big guy for a tip in redemption bucket. If we can get prodcution out of these two guys - watchout!

- Barnett has put on a lot of weight - he's takes up a lot more space than in years past. Still not an offensive threat but he plays tough on defense and alters some shots. We need him to stay healthy...his size makes a difference. He had a nice swat by the baseline. He took a brutal charge and jumped right back up...frankly with his health issues I would rather that he didn't do that but I was proud of his heart and toughness.

- The most impressive raw talent out there right now may be Quincy Williams. He's the strongest guy on the floor and he showed a sweet hook shot on one play. If he can continue to progress and build his body he could be a monster before all is said and done.

- Incomplete grade on Jeff Simpson. He never really got on track. He missed one dunk. I will say that the kid can jump out of the gym. You can tell that the coaches are trying to encourage Jeff and get his confidence level up. He has some athletic ability no doubt.

- This team is well coached...I can't recall seeing us take more charges in one game and it really turned the game around for us. When playes screw up Johnny takes them out to the side and coaches them - he doesn't do the Gary Patterson and grab their fase mask cursing etc he is calm and collected. Great discipline on this team and a refreshing change from the Trilli era...

The team seems more focused and energetic than I can recall. Very unselfish. We will struggle against teams with a legitimate big man. We need one more pure shooter. I kept dreaming last night at how unbelievable this team would be if we had Shawnson or something similar out there. Watching Hines play reminded me of how piss poor Jerome Rogers was at point...he was just not a point guard. Also, Johnny is rotating players in like every 3 minutes...I can't recall him ever doing that which means we finally have some quality depth. There is still a lot of season left to play but I am cautiously optimistic (sorry guys I've had my hopes crushed too many times with UNT bball)...

This has the makings of a terrific season.

PS - BTW, The Pit Crew Rocks! I especially like the "Niiiice Shoooot" they yell out after an opposing player misses a free throw. Their antics with Tubbs and the wooden Vodoo doll were hilarious and Tubb's as stated before handled it with class. Part of the reason he handled it with such class is that the barbs were clever and not dirty or off color. Great job guys!

I wish I could say that Harris showed me something too Harry, but I can't. It will take more than fighting for the ball after mishandling it to be a contributor to the team.

Something about Hines I noticed last week and the trend continued Saturday night...he has played 111 minutes and has only taken 16 shots. He runs the offense and plays defense and doesn't worry about getting his own on the offensive end. You have to love that.

Calvin...we are working on it man...its jsut hard with a smaller group...I know i have personally come out of every game without a voice and damn near passing out from being light headed... We are trying to get our name out but we are having some difficulties with this big deal we had originally planned this weekend....

Dont worry...We are getting bigger...and getting better....Come conference it will be totally different then u see right now....