Glorified Junior Colleges?

From where Jimbo Fisher sits now, after years of coaching high-level college football programs, he sees a clear divide between the well-resourced programs in the SEC, Big Ten and a few other conferences and the rest of the world of college football. He went so far as to allude to certain FBS schools functionally becoming developmental stops.

“Here’s what’s happening, all of your mid-majors and a lot of your not-mid-majors, I’m going to say some of your ACC, Big 12, old Pac-12, some of those leagues, they’re becoming glorified junior colleges,” Fisher said. “And some of those teams used to battle for playoffs and have great teams. They took that three-star guy or that four-star guy you missed and they developed him into a heck of a player and he became a great player at their school. 

Fisher used arguably the best football player currently alive to make his argument: Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who was drafted out of Texas Tech with the No. 10 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

“How about Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech? Would he have ever stayed at Texas Tech? Somebody would have came and got him,” Fisher said. “You know what I’m saying? And what’s happening, your haves are out there saying, ‘OK, I need a corner and I need a tackle and I need a running back.’ And they’re going to these four-year schools and just selecting, and those guys are really becoming glorified junior colleges, and it’s a shame. I mean great college football programs that have won big in the past and have had tremendously great players. But that what’s changed.”

Link:  https://www.on3.com/news/jimbo-fisher-claims-some-conferences-are-becoming-glorified-junior-colleges/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2rlzMeo_cEPD6TpbFAWoEUVqgpt_yqatMT52gyT6HICo_nyEvr2nFGOKc_aem_AfsuZvKQBBs_SzhuB_qg2qO7ZdN1vheq_Ks56BhKzhGA_HOPkEAyCuXzJk-zHgdQwWoqZ88nbNvoDCh4vmow0o4n

Edited by Tom McKrackin
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

Wow a sobering statement indeed. This has to be having an energy effect on most programs. Will college football actually become less popular?  I mean the power programs say no way, never. I am not so sure about this. It won’t go as niche as golf. But investment works 2 ways.

GMG

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

College football has always been a food chain.   The problem now is the instant movement allowed every year for players with no sit-out for transfers.  Maybe if the Texas Tech's, and other mid-P4's of FBS, start feeling the pain of having star players stolen then more restrictions will happen.   

• Upvote 5

How do I make as much money as I can, now! This is the model in the business world why not college athletics,  which is a business. Do the schools like a TT have enough clout to put limitations in place?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

G5s can stop this BS. And at some point break with the Semi-Pro P4's and why play them. 

Heck...let the screwed up NCAA run the P4's and form our own governing body.

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, NT80 said:

No, breaking off won't keep G5 players from wanting paid, or from P4's stealing them away.  It won't fix the real issue that we need player contracts, if they want to be considered employees.   Make them sign to play for only a scholarship at our level.   If they want $, they have to get invited to the next level, with compensation to the losing school too.

That is a great idea. Most big schools wouldn't come knocking if we hadn't taken in a overlooked recruit and housed, educated, and developed his skill level. We should be compensated for that.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

I agree....I would go one more.....once in a P4 your considered Professional and can't return to a G5. Sit on that bench and make your NIL monies...

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

No, breaking off won't keep G5 players from wanting paid, or from P4's stealing them away.  It won't fix the real issue that we need player contracts, if they want to be considered employees.   Make them sign to play for only a scholarship at our level.   If they want $, they have to get invited to the next level, with compensation to the losing school too.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

All this bullshit started around 2013 when Northwestern voted to unionize their players. After that, it was only a matter of time. The longer this drags out, the harder it will be to stop it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 5/20/2024 at 9:42 AM, NT80 said:

Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2024 at 7:07 PM, RBP79 said:

I agree....I would go one more.....once in a P4 your considered Professional and can't return to a G5. Sit on that bench and make your NIL monies...

No to this.  There are already established models all over the sports world that can be followed here in college sports.  None of them punish a player for making it to a top level team.  That's what this would do.  Instead, the focus is usually on trying to get a return on the investment.  Which means that they will want to help the player continue to develop and hope the player's value eventually meets or exceeds the contract.  Allow the big schools to loan guys out, or sell for pennies on the dollar.

38 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

No to this.  There are already established models all over the sports world that can be followed here in college sports...

Your opinion and I've got mine. P4's can be paid/professional....G5's can be traditional College Football Players on Scholarships. Professional versus Amature don't mix. 

• Upvote 2

Someone needs to make a movie that follows a “rag tag” college football team as they struggle to rebuild their football team after a massive NCAA scandal. With all their 3 star and above football players stripped away by P4s, a new coach, must assemble a team from a motley crew of non-athletic students and a farmer turned quarterback. Despite the odds, this underdog team must come together to face their powerhouse rivals, learning about teamwork and integrity along the way.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1