Any free agent signings?

15 hours ago, Cougar King said:

UNT has got to get guys drafted. 2 in the last 20 years despite having 5 different head coaching regimes during that time period isn't good for a D1 Texas school.

The days of getting players drafted are pretty much gone for G5. If you are good enough you transfer and build up your resume. Just another reason I'm losing interest in CFB.

I'd be very interested in seeing how many G5 players are drafted annually vs before portal/NIL... oh wait no I just really don't care anymore. 🖕NCAAF

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, Udomann said:

The days of getting players drafted are pretty much gone for G5. If you are good enough you transfer and build up your resume. Just another reason I'm losing interest in CFB.

I'd be very interested in seeing how many G5 players are drafted annually vs before portal/NIL... oh wait no I just really don't care anymore. 🖕NCAAF

Does the data actually support this?  I'm not saying you're wrong, as I haven't yet seen any numbers comparing G5 draftees this year vs. the past.  But, just perusing round by round, it feels like I'm seeing plenty of G5, FCS, and occasionally lower levels being represented.  Where the G5 might be underrepresented (as compared to past performance) might be the high profile 1st round and maybe 2nd round picks.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Does the data actually support this?  I'm not saying you're wrong, as I haven't yet seen any numbers comparing G5 draftees this year vs. the past.  But, just perusing round by round, it feels like I'm seeing plenty of G5, FCS, and occasionally lower levels being represented.  Where the G5 might be underrepresented (as compared to past performance) might be the high profile 1st round and maybe 2nd round picks.

Interestingly it has gone the other direction,  so I guess I'm way off on my ranting. Had AI run the % of draft picks from P5 teams

• 2014: Approximately 82%
  • 2015: Approximately 80%
  • 2016: Approximately 83%
  • 2017: Approximately 85%
  • 2018: Approximately 81%
  • 2019: Approximately 79%
  • 2020: Approximately 83%
  • 2021: Approximately 84%
  • 2022: Approximately 82%
  • 2023: Approximately 80%
  • Upvote 1

This is what I pulled from the 257 draft selections in the 2024 draft:  

• G5 (counting UCONN) had 19 draft picks 
  • All non P5/G5 conferences had 15 draft picks 
  • P5 (including Notre Dame) had 223 draft picks

I didn't think we'd be that low and that level with non-FBS conferences. 

image.png.f11b67caa36bd0306191e2a88218d0f7.png

From CBSSports.com:

2024 NFL Draft picks by conference
·SEC -- 59
·Pac-12 -- 43
·Big Ten -- 42
·ACC -- 41
·Big 12 -- 31
·Independent -- 8
·Sun Belt -- 6
·American -- 5
·Conference USA -- 3
·Mountain West -- 2
·MAC -- 2

On 4/27/2024 at 8:04 PM, Cougar King said:

UNT has got to get guys drafted. 2 in the last 20 years despite having 5 different head coaching regimes during that time period isn't good for a D1 Texas school.

Houston only had one player drafted this year.  Big deal. 

• Upvote 1

UNT " should" have had several players drafted:

Brad Kassell, played 6 seasons in the NFL for the Titans and Jets, starting MLB for Titans during the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

Patrick Cobbs, played 6 seasons in the NFL for the Patriots, Steelers, and Dolphins. 

Craig Robertson, played 9 seasons with the Browns and Saints. Starting ILB for the Browns 2013-15 and then for the Saints 2016-17. 

Zach Orr, played 3 seasons for the Ravens. Became starting LB for the 2016 season & made 2nd team All Pro. Retired early due to medical issues. 

Jamize Olawale, played 8 seasons in the league, became starting FB for the Raiders and Cowboys. 

Jalen Guyton, receiver with the Chargers. 4 seasons in the NFL.

Kemon Hall, CB with the 49ers, 4 seasons in the NFL.

Jeffrey Wilson Jr, RB with 49ers & Dolphins. 6 seasons in the NFL.

I think if a player makes an NFL team, they probably "should" have been drafted no matter what the scouts say. 

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Marty said:

UNT " should" have had several players drafted:

Brad Kassell, played 6 seasons in the NFL for the Titans and Jets, starting MLB for Titans during the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

Patrick Cobbs, played 6 seasons in the NFL for the Patriots, Steelers, and Dolphins. 

Craig Robertson, played 9 seasons with the Browns and Saints. Starting ILB for the Browns 2013-15 and then for the Saints 2016-17. 

Zach Orr, played 3 seasons for the Ravens. Became starting LB for the 2016 season & made 2nd team All Pro. Retired early due to medical issues. 

Jamize Olawale, played 8 seasons in the league, became starting FB for the Raiders and Cowboys. 

Jalen Guyton, receiver with the Chargers. 4 seasons in the NFL.

Kemon Hall, CB with the 49ers, 4 seasons in the NFL. 

I think if a player makes an NFL team, they probably "should" have been drafted no matter what the scouts say. 

That's a fair point. Scouts do miss on their evaluations.

• Upvote 1

If you disagree with this, it’s only because of who posted it.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Yes but we've had a player drafted every year since 2017 and 29 drafted in the last 20 years.

Houston has been in better conferences during that period and got more media.  29 in 20 years is still shallow end of the pool.