Seton Hall (3/23/24)

Me too. I infuse my level of enjoyment into the equation. And I would say really look forward to heading to Denton, and watching them on tv and in Fort Worth. Didn’t make an away game this year but I like the style of play. They played hard and to the end. It was a bunch of new guys and a learning coach. Proud of this team.

Thank you Mean Green! 
GMG

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, NT93 said:

Another consideration:  the win over LSU lost some luster after the first round of the NCAA Tournament.  The SEC is overrated. 8 teams, 5 loses and most to much lower seeds.  

58 minutes ago, ADLER said:

This was an outstanding season and I can't believe that North Texas basketball fans are complaining about losing in the second round of the NIT, on the road to a very good Seton Hall team, with a team that lost its coach and most of its starters to graduation and the transfer portal.

We've been spoiled as very, very few teams win as consistently as our does. The teams are doing their part.

Our challenge now is to build up the fan base so that we can afford to retain productive players. That means selling tickets, marketing the program, and promoting the hell out of our branding.

I hope my previous post wasn't taken as complaining.  Though it is negative towards UNT to some degree, my main point was to take a shot at the mighty SEC.

Seton Hall is very good when they are playing well.  I don't think they played well today because they were playing an inferior opponent, I think they had one of those games where they played well and things just seemed to go their way.    Add to that playing at home in the small gym and they had an even greater advantage than normal.  They are a legitimate Sweet 16/Elite 8 type team when they play like they did today and we hung with them for a while.  The run to end the first half was big and then early in the 2nd half we had chances to cut the lead to 4 points and we just couldn't get a key shot to fall.  After that it just seemed to go downhill, though I don't think we ever stopped competing.  

People who know basketball nationally recognize that we have a good program.  It just takes time and few breaks to become a national brand.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I think Seton is the better ball club by a substantial margin.  However, in that environment in New Jersey; the odds of NT beating them were very long.  

They have about a 1000 seat arena that apparently requires approval to aguire tickets.  So they are guaranteed the maximum home advantage.  I bet they don't play any Big East games there.  

I wonder if they would allow NT to play in the old Pit (men's gym) that use to hold over 4000.   Now that would be an advantage, by the way it was a wonderful experience going to MVC games there.   However, not for the old or faint hearted with horrible seating and having to stand most of the game.  

SHU fan here… one game a year played at Walsh for nostalgic purposes, always against a low major. Capacity was cut down from around 3000 many years ago when coaches offices were added overlooking the court, and then again with a recent renovation that removed bleachers and added a video scoreboard. 

All Big East games and majority of non-conference played at the Prudential Center. Usually upper level curtained off for ~10k capacity, but big games have led to opening the upper levels for the 12000-16000 capacity depending on how many sections are opened. 

Can’t play NIT at the Rock due to scheduling, so unfortunately you get 1300 that are 97% SHU fans. Games have sold out in under 30 minutes each time. 4000 season ticket holders get early access before general public gets no chance. Season ticket holders get left out. 

For all you youngsters out there, the environment that we faced today was very similar to our old days at the original pit...very small facility with people packed into it and REALLY REALLY LOUD.  In fact, that was the reason that Maury Johns of Drake dubbed to snake pit back in the 60's.  It was nightmare for visitors and it won a lot of games for us, due to the intimidation we created. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, drex said:

For all you youngsters out there, the environment that we faced today was very similar to our old days at the original pit...very small facility with people packed into it and REALLY REALLY LOUD.  In fact, that was the reason that Maury Johns of Drake dubbed to snake pit back in the 60's.  It was nightmare for visitors and it won a lot of games for us, due to the intimidation we created. 

Hence the desperate need to vacate the hollow chambers of our current facility. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

Some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you. All our guys can hit layups and free throws. Today they just didn't fall while we were playing against a very good team in a loud hostile environment.

Basketball Gods, please grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

6 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I’ll drink to that.

Oh.

Cheers gents.

Cheers-Law-Order.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

I finally bought season tickets this year after a few years of continuing to stand in the student section. Now that the Maniacs have established themselves, we tried to bring noise on the other end. But we need some of the old farts to stop telling the energetic fans to sit down/be quiet. Those people should go sit up in the higher rows!

• Upvote 6

55 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I finally bought season tickets this year after a few years of continuing to stand in the student section. Now that the Maniacs have established themselves, we tried to bring noise on the other end. But we need some of the old farts to stop telling the energetic fans to sit down/be quiet. Those people should go sit up in the higher rows!

Ignore them. All of them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Please create a standing cheering section for crazy fans of all ages opposite of the Maniacs section. Watch season tickets increase.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

Please create a standing cheering section for crazy fans of all ages opposite of the Maniacs section. Watch season tickets increase.

GMG

Our circle has season tickets spread out across the Pit, but yup! We're considering just buying a few rows together next year (just have to figure out which section), because all of us have had run-in's with those types of fans this year.

• Upvote 2

Tough game yesterday, but not unrealistic against Seton Hall. I'll be safe to lose some of these guys, but very excited for next year.

I'm really hoping Hodge grows between year one and year two as well. (Not physically... But as a coach)

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

From an old Fart, I doubt anyone has ever told you to be quiet.  However, standing up in front of someone who may not be able to stand for long periods, is not something you should be proud of.   Those same old farts are the biggest financial supporters of the team. 

If you want to stand up, maybe you should sit in the higher rows.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

But we need some of the old farts to stop telling the energetic fans to sit down/be quiet. Those people should go sit up in the higher rows!

Yep, they need to move up top, not complain or join in and stand up when appropriate. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

From an old Fart, I doubt anyone has ever told you to be quiet.  However, standing up in front of someone who may not be able to stand for long periods, is not something you should be proud of.   Those same old farts are the biggest financial supporters of the team. 

If you want to stand up, maybe you should sit in the higher rows.  

So it sounds like we need to buy an entire section of season tickets! 🤔

I may not be in the financial situation to be a major donor of the program but I try to make up for it for going to as many games as possible. 39 so far this school year across all six specator sports. While I'm still physically able I plan to keep being rowdy and holding the refs accountable from as close to the court as I can (while refraining to curse if there's kids sitting nearby). I try not to stand as much if there's people directly behind us, but a lot of our crowd needs to be better at recognizing when we're grabbing momentum and get louder. There's more instances than us dribbling out a win with 20 seconds left to get on your feet and make some noise.

Also, watching March Madness and I'm seeing a lot of non-students standing throughout the game from the front row to the top. The more energetic fans need to be closer to the court.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

…but a lot of our crowd needs to be better at recognizing when we're grabbing momentum and get louder. There's more instances than us dribbling out a win with 20 seconds left to get on your feet and make some …

This 100%

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

So it sounds like we need to buy an entire section of season tickets! 🤔

I may not be in the financial situation to be a major donor of the program but I try to make up for it for going to as many games as possible. 39 so far this school year across all six specator sports. While I'm still physically able I plan to keep being rowdy and holding the refs accountable from as close to the court as I can (while refraining to curse if there's kids sitting nearby). I try not to stand as much if there's people directly behind us, but a lot of our crowd needs to be better at recognizing when we're grabbing momentum and get louder. There's more instances than us dribbling out a win with 20 seconds left to get on your feet and make some noise.

Also, watching March Madness and I'm seeing a lot of non-students standing throughout the game from the front row to the top. The more energetic fans need to be closer to the court.

I was just countering your view, in the hope that you could see both sides of the issue.

The more boisterous NT fans can be, within reason, the better.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I was just countering your view, in the hope that you could see both sides of the issue.

The more boisterous NT fans can be, within reason, the better.

I get it, you pay money for a game, you should be able to at least see the game.

But many UNT fans need to find a medium that's closer than the group that was standing all conference tournament, trying to provide some homecourt advantage, than the group that would go on the Willis Library Wall of Fame for good behavior!