Nick Saban NIL Roundtable Video

No one has quite the influence or experience to bring back saneness to this chaos that is college football. Kudos to Senator Cruz for spearheading this important project. Git er done!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

No one has quite the influence or experience to bring back saneness to this chaos that is college football. Kudos to Senator Cruz for spearheading this important project. Git er done!

This is probably #763 on items we need congress to address... get to work on improving healthcare, homelessness or the prison system first...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

On 3/13/2024 at 2:47 PM, kingwoodgreen said:

Saban seems to be the voice of reason. But this thing seems like it is becoming to hard to reel back in. How did this go down the drain so quick…

It hasn’t been quick.  It’s always been unbalanced and about spending the most money to win.  The difference is that now we’re not building facilities or spending on coaches, it’s direct players out in the open.  Bama and the SEC have been the most egregious cheaters by illicitly spending on players for the past 20 years.  So it’s quite ironic to see them leading this discussion.  They know they can’t compete with truly big money if direct pay to players is allowed legally.

Schools have consciously bailed on this system in the past.  Ivy leagues and U of Chicago come to mind.  At the end of the day the goal should be to advance the education of the population of people and region each school serves.  If Congress has to get involved, I hope they understand that as priority number one.  That’s the part Saban gets right.  Unfortunately he’s also been the most visible figure on the side using football to make big money for TV.

• Upvote 2

On 3/13/2024 at 3:37 PM, golfingomez said:

This is probably #763 on items we need congress to address... get to work on improving healthcare, homelessness or the prison system first...

Nothing would ever get enacted if it had to done in priority order.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wonder how many times in that 50 year coaching career, Nick Saban has uttered the words: "I don't want to know" when talking with big money donors.

I always have a hard time feeling sorry for multi millionaires when they whine about their little kingdoms being changed.

Not that it makes NIL right (in its current form) and I don't know what the answer is. (Actually, I do....and I've said it multiple times: stop with the "student athlete" nonsense. Make them employees and treat them like employees. Don't give athletic scholarships. Academic only)

It's also ironic that the guy whining about the money influence in college football is taking a cushy job working for the very network that just completed a nearly $8 billion dollar deal with the CFP.

Remember, coaches like Nick Saban and their $8 million salaries with the freedom to negotiate how they please had this environment long before the players did. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Salaries have been approved for Alabama’s 2024 football coaching staff.
HC Kalen DeBoer - $10M
DC Kane Wommack - $1.55M
OC Nick Sheridan - $1.35M
WR JaMarcus Shephard - $1.1M
DL Freddie Roach - $1M
DB Maurice Linguist - $875K
OL Chris Kapilovic - $875K
RB Robert Gillespie - $850K
OLB Christian Robinson - $650K
DB Colin Hitschler - $625K
TE Bryan Ellis - $550K
S&C David Ballou - $950K