AAC Tourney

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

And down goes Memphis. Glad WSU got the upset.

I was torn because now we probably have to win the tournament to get a post season bid.  Memphis isn't going to the NCAA's and will probably pick up a NIT bid, and based on record, this bumps us down the selection list.

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I was torn because now we probably have to win the tournament to get a post season bid.  Memphis isn't going to the NCAA's and will probably pick up a NIT bid, and based on record, this bumps us down the selection list.

You could apply this worry to a handful of teams, couldn't you?

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Not counting our game, the quarters are....

ECU vs. USF

Wichita State vs UAB

Temple vs Charlotte

Get past FAU and this is ours for the taking. I know we've struggled against UAB and Charlotte as well but I think it's all mental.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Get past FAU and this is ours for the taking. I know we've struggled against UAB and Charlotte as well but I think it's all mental.

I have this wild, baseless belief and hope that the winner of UNT-FAU will win the whole dang enchilada.

• Upvote 6

42 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I feel the same way, although I really don't want to look past anyone... this feels like Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and getting a harder question for $64,000 than the million.

6 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I feel the same way, although I really don't want to look past anyone... this feels like Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and getting a harder question for $64,000 than the million.

I'm certainly not looking past anyone. Three out of four games yesterday resulted in an upset so it would be foolish for any of us to dismiss potential opponents. That said, it's called March Madness for a reason. We can compete with any team left. I was nervous about SMU and Memphis due to their athleticism and length but they lost. UAB worries me for the same reason but their team is pretty bipolar, just like SMU and Memphis, so I feel good if we have to play them.

• Upvote 3

Are Byes overrated in these tournaments?  Is it better to play your first game against another team that is also playing its first game (and all the first-game jitters that may go with it on both sides) as opposed to playing your first game against another team that has a win (or two) under its belt, has some momentum going and has those first-game jitters out of the way?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, keith said:

Are Byes overrated in these tournaments?  Is it better to play your first game against another team that is also playing its first game (and all the first-game jitters that may go with it on both sides) as opposed to playing your first game against another team that has a win (or two) under its belt, has some momentum going and has those first-game jitters out of the way?

I think the first round byes might be a bit detrimental in the first game, but work to your benefit later on.  For example, Charlotte could have rust at the beginning of today's game, while Temple will be loose since they've played already.  But if Charlotte gets through today, having that first bye helps.  By the same token not having it helps you in the 2nd game, at least for the first half or so.  But the longer the tournament goes on, the more it works against you.  I've seen some Cinderella conference tournament runs go where a team manages to make the Final and then have little left in the tank.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1