mail.jpg

Happy New Year from your UNT Alumni Association! It is with great excitement that we share some wonderful news — on January 22, we will welcome Joshua Jones as our new assistant vice president for alumni engagement.

Joshua comes to us with a wealth of experience that makes him a fantastic addition to our dynamic team and the UNT Alumni Association family. His dedication to enhancing alumni engagement aligns perfectly with our goals, and we are excited about the positive impact he will bring to our members and the entire UNT alumni community.

Currently serving as the senior director of alumni advancement at the University of Memphis, Joshua previously served as the director of alumni relations at the University of South Carolina Upstate and held progressive roles at institutions like the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, Ohio University and Long Beach State University, showcasing his dedication to the field of alumni engagement.

Joshua holds a Bachelor of Science in Sports Management from Hampton University, two master's degrees from Ohio University and is currently pursuing a Doctorate of Education in higher and adult education at the University of Memphis.  

What makes Joshua truly special is his commitment to creating an environment that welcomes everyone — a perfect match for the UNT Alumni Association’s mission and values. We are excited about the incredible things that lie ahead under his leadership. 

Let’s extend a warm Mean Green welcome to Joshua Jones! As he becomes a part of our UNT community, we can’t wait for you to experience the energy and fresh perspectives he will bring. Here’s to a year filled with meaningful connections and memorable moments!

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I always wonder about hires like this. I hope he does well in his job, but is there not a UNT Alumni in this field of work that could fill this position at UNT? Just seems like you need someone who actually cares about UNT in this position. I am not saying that he will not care, but looking at his resume, there is nothing that ties him to UNT and pushes him to make this university great.

Edited by Venson
Grammar
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Venson said:

I always wonder about hires like this. I hope he does well in his job, but is there not a UNT Alumni in this field of work that could fill this position at UNT? Just seems like you need someone who actually cares about UNT in this position. I am not saying that he will not care, but looking at his resume, there is nothing that ties him to UNT and pushes him to make this university great.

Hire the best person you can.  Would you want NT grads to get most of the coaches jobs also?  Burton is doing fairly well replacing one of the greatest players in NT history as coach.  

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Hire the best person you can.  Would you want NT grads to get most of the coaches jobs also?  Burton is doing fairly well replacing one of the greatest players in NT history as coach.  

Obviously I want to hire the best person, but coaching is much different than alumni engagement. Plus, Burton is from this area and wants to be here. This guy isn't even a Texas guy. Again, I hope he does well. I just ask isn't there a UNT person out there who could do the job just as well? Part of being successful in a job is having a passion for it. I believe a UNT person would have more passion for the job. If there is not, then so be it. It's just we keep getting these non UNT guys who come in just to use us as stepping stones to the next job while making a lot of money to do it. Other than Jalie Mitchell, what other UNT guys have we had as a HC? There may be some, but I don't know of them.