8 hours ago, NM Green said:

The Carrol idea is interesting and there is no way that coach is done. He needs a gig more than Belichick. 

How does a 72 year old with that kind of money already in the bank need another job?  Sincere question, since I haven't been following his recent departure.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

How does a 72 year old with that kind of money already in the bank need another job?  Sincere question, since I haven't been following his recent departure.

I don't know about "needing" a gig but he didn't really want to leave his job. He took it all in stride and said he hopes the Seahawks will have him back in some sort of capacity. 

• Upvote 1

I would not be surprised if Bamma hires a "buffer" coach. Someone not expected that will come in for a year or two to take the pressure off the next head coach replacing a legend. As someone mentioned, not many want the pressure of replacing the GOAT.

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I read that Sabin's plans on staying at Alabama and keeping an office at A.D. building to assist new coaching staff in transition. If so that is the kiss of death for his replacement.

I heard that’s what turned Seth off to the K-State job when Bill Snyder retired.  Rumor was they wanted Snyder’s son on the new staff as consultant or gatekeeper, lol.

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I read that Sabin's plans on staying at Alabama and keeping an office at A.D. building to assist new coaching staff in transition. If so that is the kiss of death for his replacement.

Add that to the list of reasons not to take that job.

Following a legend is rough. The big names who want to coach Bama should wait until his successor gets fired for not being Saban.

24 minutes ago, rcade said:

Add that to the list of reasons not to take that job.

Following a legend is rough. The big names who want to coach Bama should wait until his successor gets fired for not being Saban.

Big names have big egos and don't think like that.

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

As it's been said, he didn't want to leave his job. Plus, he needs 1 more year of being a head coach in college football to be eligible for the college football hall of fame. If that matters to him, it's a golden opportunity to go out on top when he's actually ready. 

55 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Big names have big egos and don't think like that.

Maybe, but Lanning, Norvell and Sarkisian actively withdrew themselves from consideration. So far the only big name who didn't do that is the Bear Bryant of Sioux Falls, Kalen DeBoer. Sources say he's in negotiations to take the job.

54 minutes ago, rcade said:

Maybe, but Lanning, Norvell and Sarkisian actively withdrew themselves from consideration. So far the only big name who didn't do that is the Bear Bryant of Sioux Falls, Kalen DeBoer. Sources say he's in negotiations to take the job.

They are already at top jobs.  Why would any of them leave their current positions?

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

They are already at top jobs.  Why would any of them leave their current positions?

FSU seems like a top job to me, but winning the ACC undefeated and not making the playoff suggests otherwise.

The early predictions for 2024 have a top 12 that's all SEC and Big Ten aside from Notre Dame and 1-2 other teams.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rcade said:

FSU seems like a top job to me, but winning the ACC undefeated and not making the playoff suggests otherwise.

The early predictions for 2024 have a top 12 that's all SEC and Big Ten aside from Notre Dame and 1-2 other teams.

Norvell signed an extension today that gives him a pretty nice paycheck now. I also think that after all the hell that he raised with FSU missing the playoffs, jumping ship for Alabama would’ve been a bad look. May have been a pride thing for him.

I definitely agree that Alabama is a bigger job than FSU, but outside circumstances made this decision less black and white.

And a side note: never buy in on the Notre Dame preseason hype. Trust me

• Upvote 2

Just now, GoGreenBeans said:

Norvell signed an extension today that gives him a pretty nice paycheck now. I also think that after all the hell that he raised with FSU missing the playoffs, jumping ship for Alabama would’ve been a bad look. May have been a pride thing for him.

That would make sense. Before games at Doak, with a frothing horde of 82,000 fans who know how to pregame drink, the presentation on the video boards makes Norvell look like a mix between Bobby Bowden and Jesus. I was ready to run through a wall for him and I didn't even go there.

1 hour ago, rcade said:

FSU isn't long for the ACC.

• Upvote 1