Are we not signing a transfer QB?

meangreenfaninno

22 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

People are upset at the players because it's a change to how things were done, I get it. But people have to step back and realize they are working within the system in place, change that and it changes what they can do. For a while I had felt like the big schools were unhappy with schools like App State, Cincy, Boise, other strong G5s, that found hidden gems in recruiting that allowed them to compete. Recruiting is hard and not every player you bring in pans out, so what could these programs do to get these players they missed? Do what they do with coaches from the G5, just buy them. 

Hmmm, sounds like a farm system inside a farm system for the NFL.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

He didn't hit the portal for a sideways move without big bucks unless he wasn't going to be the starter.  Even then he'd expect some reward to move to the starter elsewhere.

Or is he looking for playing time?  He played in three games as the third string QB, and attempted one pass.

Notes from USF Roster:

2023: Saw action in two games as the third-string QB...hauled in his first career reception for seven yards on his first career snap at Memphis (11/4)...recorded first career pass and rush attempt vs Temple (11/11).

CENTENNIAL HS: A dual-threat quarterback who earned quarterback MVP honors at the Under Armor Next All-America Camp…invited to play in the 2022 U.S. Army All-America Bowl and scored a rushing touchdown in the game…a dynamic and explosive runner with impressive touch and accuracy on deep throws…averaged almost 21 yards per pass play as a senior, recording 1,863 yards and 23 touchdowns passing with one interception and a 60 percent completion percentage while adding 592 yards and 11 touchdowns rushing in his senior season…led Centennial into the California state playoffs, losing in the second round…played in a two-quarterback system as a sophomore and junior, recording 1,284 yards and 12 touchdowns passing while throwing just one interception and completing 57.6 percent of his passes during that time…also ran for nearly 500 yards and nine touchdowns…a three-star recruit in the 247Sports composite rankings…rated the number 19 quarterback in the 2023 cycle by ON3…chose USF over offers from Arizona State, Oregon, Colorado, Kansas, BYU, Washington State, Tulane, Hawaii and several others.

On 1/2/2024 at 3:16 PM, GoGreenBeans said:

Malik Hornsby, who is coming from Texas State, just entered the portal. Spent 3 years at Arkansas before going to Texas State. Former top 100 recruit. Maybe someone to watch

https://247sports.com/player/malik-hornsby-46037405/

Headed to AR St.

• Haha 1

Interesting possibility:

Signed with WA St. out of high school in December of 2019, transferred to AZ in 2022 and is on the move again. He just missed Coach Morris' time at WA St., but could have a connection through other coaches there.  Just a thought.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jayden-de-Laura-46053193/#timeline

On 1/4/2024 at 1:41 PM, UNTLifer said:

He didn't hit the portal for a sideways move without big bucks unless he wasn't going to be the starter.  Even then he'd expect some reward to move to be the starter elsewhere.

I have two other thoughts.  I'll still feel uneasy if Earle is the starter.  He was far less than stellar in his two starts here.  Especially his play against FIU. 

Of the choices now I'd rather take a chance with McCollum.  He is the son of a coach and has been trained most of his life to be a quarterback.  He'll have more tools to work with here and better personnel to improve his play.

I'm still hoping that we find the experienced quarterback who has been a high three star or four star; especially if he's available for spring training.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So, with the Spring semester starting Jan. 16 and probably a late enrollment period, when would we need to get a QB in to be able to participate in spring practice?  

Sounds like that possibility is marginal at best.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Interesting possibility:

Signed with WA St. out of high school in December of 2019, transferred to AZ in 2022 and is on the move again. He just missed Coach Morris' time at WA St., but could have a connection through other coaches there.  Just a thought.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jayden-de-Laura-46053193/#timeline

Morris and de Laura overlapped by like a month at WSU and Morris...kinda is the reason de Laura left WSU. Morris came from UIW, and he brought Cam Ward with him. Cam Ward got offered by WSU and de Laura hit the portal soon after. The same day that de Laura committed to Arizona, Cam Ward committed to WSU. Now obviously we don't know if they have any relationship, but with Morris essentially bringing in his own guy to replace de Laura, not quite sure that de Laura would be fond of playing for Morris

1 hour ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Morris and de Laura overlapped by like a month at WSU and Morris...kinda is the reason de Laura left WSU. Morris came from UIW, and he brought Cam Ward with him. Cam Ward got offered by WSU and de Laura hit the portal soon after. The same day that de Laura committed to Arizona, Cam Ward committed to WSU. Now obviously we don't know if they have any relationship, but with Morris essentially bringing in his own guy to replace de Laura, not quite sure that de Laura would be fond of playing for Morris

Possible.  Again, it never hurts to ask.

• Downvote 1

On 1/6/2024 at 4:58 PM, GoGreenBeans said:

Quinn Ewers is from Southlake, a pretty affluent city in Texas, and he went to Ohio State for $1 million just to transfer. Money talks 

I don’t know how many times I need to repeat that the famous million dollar NIL deal wasn’t OSU specific and he still had it at Texas. https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-football-freshman-quarterback-quinn-ewers-reportedly-signs-endorsement-deal-worth-more-than-1-million-dollars
He did get a pickup truck from a local dealership. Maybe he had to give that back? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t know how many times I need to repeat that the famous million dollar NIL deal wasn’t OSU specific and he still had it at Texas. https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-football-freshman-quarterback-quinn-ewers-reportedly-signs-endorsement-deal-worth-more-than-1-million-dollars
He did get a pickup truck from a local dealership. Maybe he had to give that back? 

Last I heard, he was tooling around Austin in a Lambo.

• Oh Boy! 1

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

So, with the Spring semester starting Jan. 16 and probably a late enrollment period, when would we need to get a QB in to be able to participate in spring practice?  

Sounds like that possibility is marginal at best.

So, at one time this would have been a stupid question, but given that most of the rules seem to have been dropped or if you're a P3, simply ignored, it's not so much anymore. 

Since NIL is close to making some students the equivalent of paid employees, why do they even need to be enrolled to practice during Spring?  In fact, I bet it won't be long before some P3 school tries to bring in a player for Spring practice as an "internship".

1 hour ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Brett Vito reporting that Liberty transfer QB Reese Mooney is visiting this weekend

Why is everyone down on this kid?  

We need depth but, Earle must be rethinking his decision to comeback.  Is Head still with the team?

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Why is everyone down on this kid?  

We need depth but, Earle must be rethinking his decision to comeback.  Is Head still with the team?

I would be very excited to add Reese! Very talented, 2 sport athlete and class of 23. Perfect candidate for Morris! GMG 

• Upvote 1