Oregon State, Washington State considering scheduling alliance with Mountain West

Jonnyeagle

The Mountain West and Oregon State and Washington State could form an alliance, per Yahoo Sports’ Ross Dellenger.

Now pause, alliance is a term used by conferences before that amounted to nothing. We’re looking at you Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12.

The remaining Pac-12 teams, or Pac-2 if you want to call it, could get a deal done for the long term to figure out their futures.

read more: https://www.on3.com/news/oregon-state-washington-state-scheduling-alliance-mountain-west-pac-12-conference/

• Eye Roll 1

On 10/24/2023 at 10:29 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Please help me understand how this keeps the PAC a conference. Doesn't an FBS conference have to have six members, not alliances? 

The can go 2 years before they need to get back to that minimum. So they may well ride that out until the next playoff reform in 26. However in that case they urgently need to find teams they can play for 24, as neither of them has anything resembling a full FBS slate.

My question: why would the MWC do this and bail them out. If I were Nevarez (MWC commish) I would want something really tasty in return, because the MWC teams will have to cancel games for this to work out and it essentially gives up leverage in its negotiations with the PAC2

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, outoftown said:

The can go 2 years before they need to get back to that minimum. So they may well ride that out until the next playoff reform in 26. However in that case they urgently need to find teams they can play for 24, as neither of them has anything resembling a full FBS slate.

My question: why would the MWC do this and bail them out. If I were Nevarez (MWC commish) I would want something really tasty in return, because the MWC teams will have to cancel games for this to work out and it essentially gives up leverage in its negotiations with the PAC2

It will be interesting to see what the Mountain West gets out of this. It seems the P2 is still playing to end up with an invite to the Big 12 or maybe ACC. At least from the outside this current deal it looks like the P2 will be keeping a lot of money and getting all the benefits.